Tired of expensive oil changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bmwtechguy
Bill in Utah had it right when he said to change the oil more often for short trip use like your daily driver.

I thought I suggested the same thing.
56.gif

Audi,

I'm not advocating that Seafoam is a miracle product or won't hurt your engine if uses improperly. Nor am I vouching for blindly following such a procedure as adding it to your crank after putting in fresh oil. Heck I wouldn't do that in a million years. Just because they recommend it, you can't go to them and say this messed up my engine because I followed your instructions. I know other people that swear by Lucas oil treatment too, so for better or for worse people will use what they know to be right.

I'm hardly an expert so please, for the sake of yourself and your cars please always do your own careful investigation, care and due diligence in matters such as these.

Thanks again for all of the helpful advice.

You can always buy your own on specials and then find a trusted mechanic to change it for you. About $ 10-15.00 for them to do it usually.

That saves the hassle of doing it but still saves money as they really mark up the Syn oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Steve S
What does Seafoam do?

Depends on what Seafoam product you mean. They make a very good penetrating oil (Deep Creep) that I use frequently as a cheaper more readily available alternative to Kroil.

On the other hand their "motor treatment" poo just breaks loose harmless deposits in the intake manifold and sends them to places where they can do much more damage. Also has the potential to bend connecting rods and overheat catalytic convertors.

Additives = junk.

For the Camry I'd go with a quality dino like GTX or Havoline for 3-5k intervals, maybe a Synthetic like M1 AFE 0w30 in the Winter for up to 6k due to your short trips.

For the Tercel, dino at 5k intervals, and you do the change so that you know it's done at the correct interval.

Originally Posted By: BigNick
Look again for a block heater. I was under the impression cars built for Canada have them standard (like daytime running lights). Might just be with Chryslers, as I've owned a few since 1998, and all came with a block heater as standard equipment.

In Ontario, maybe. Here in BC I can't recall seeing one coming standard. You can tell the out-of-towners by the little plug sticking out of their hood!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back