Tire wear in hot weather, higher speeds

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have H-rated Firestone Affinity (OEM tires) on my 2015 Civic. They seemed to wear very slowly during the spring, but now that we're reached a hot summer, they are wearing much quicker. I had 7 to 8/32 at 20,000 miles and am down to 3 to 4 at 30,000 miles. Regular rotations, wearing evenly, no alignment issues. The only difference is the hotter weather and I may be driving slightly faster (top speed maybe 70 instead of low 60's). They're supposed to be 65,000 mile tires but will only make half of that, which I know isn't unusual for OEM tires, but the accelerated wear is something I haven't experienced before.

What psi are they at, did you check in winter/spring/summer? What date code are on the tires, maybe theyre getting old and drying out now that its warm? I've seen a lot of complaints with those and I'm not overly impressed with them. My dad's corolla came with Affinity tires from Toyota and my girlfriend's mom's Odyssey which I also have driven came with them. I agree that they hold their own in the winter as far as an all season goes.

I go through sets of tires in the same interval that most people do oil changes (3-5k miles) so I'm not the best at making them last lol. But it's worth complaining to the dealership who either might warranty them (sometimes wear items arent covered like tires, brakes, clutch), but I worked at a service shop during college and we constantly warrantied out tires that wore excessively for customers. It's worth calling the dealer and maybe even firestone to see what they can do for you, the car is only a year old.

They're at 30, the recommended PSI, and I'm pretty regular at checking them, plus the TPMS would alert me if their was a problem. I haven't checked the date code, but they aren't cracking at all.
They are pretty poor tires. They're quiet and have stayed that way and hold their balance, but wet traction was never good and is terrible now. I think anything that the dealership would do would be "good will". Firestone would probably pro-rate the tires for something new, but even at that I can probably get something better cheaper. CS5 Ultra would be $210 shipped for a set of 4 from Discount Tire Direct, nice to have 15" wheels. Anything but the junkiest tire from Firestone would cost me more. I'm just curious if its normal for tires to wear this way, I have never experienced it before. A soft rubber winter tire of course would, but I would think an H rated tire wouldn't.

To me, it's more the specific surface conditions and the amount of turns, stop and go's you do that effect wear. Wear isn't necessarily linear either. The rate of wear can accelerate as it progresses.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JTK
To me, it's more the specific surface conditions and the amount of turns, stop and go's you do that effect wear. Wear isn't necessarily linear either. The rate of wear can accelerate as it progresses.

Well, I don't think my driving patterns (turns, stops, etc) has changed. One road I drive everyday has been recently repaved and is now asphalt instead of concrete, but that's only about 15% of my drive. The rate of wear is definitely accelerating though. I've just never experienced it before. Perhaps the rubber on the outer portion of the tread is a harder compound, to increase fuel economy, and softer rubber is underneath. Full siping certainly doesn't go very deep in the tire.

I actually have a set of CS5 Grand Touring sitting at home that I bought for my father for father's day for his Accord. Check them out, they are a few bucks more and rated for 20k more miles than the Ultra's. Mine were 328 shipped with a $70 rebate I believe. Had a set of the CS4's and I recommend them.

Reviews all point to the low 30,000 range for life, which for many cars is the warranty period. All the manufacturer's have to worry about is if it makes it past the warranty period, or maybe end near it to convince you to buy new tires from the dealer, and as JTK stated, wear doesnt have to be linear, especially when tires experience different conditions day by day, season by season.

Originally Posted By: Diesel_Don
I actually have a set of CS5 Grand Touring sitting at home that I bought for my father for father's day for his Accord. Check them out, they are a few bucks more and rated for 20k more miles than the Ultra's. Mine were 328 shipped with a $70 rebate I believe. Had a set of the CS4's and I recommend them.

Reviews all point to the low 30,000 range for life, which for many cars is the warranty period. All the manufacturer's have to worry about is if it makes it past the warranty period, or maybe end near it to convince you to buy new tires from the dealer, and as JTK stated, wear doesnt have to be linear, especially when tires experience different conditions day by day, season by season.

Is the Grand Touring an H-rated tire or T? OEM is H, which I have no qualms about going to a T, in fact I'd prefer it for longer life, but may have problems getting someone to mount them and taking the wheels off the car and transporting them to the installer isn't an option.

A couple of thoughts:

1) Yes, the amount of turns greatly affects the wear rate.

2) Yes, hot weather and higher speeds adversely affect the wear rate.

3) Newly paved roads are more abrasive and wear tires faster.

4) OE tires do not have a mileage warranty. You have to buy the tire from a tire dealer to get a mileage warranty, so tires that come on new cars aren't purchased by the car manufacturer with one.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
A couple of thoughts:

1) Yes, the amount of turns greatly affects the wear rate.

2) Yes, hot weather and higher speeds adversely affect the wear rate.

3) Newly paved roads are more abrasive and wear tires faster.

4) OE tires do not have a mileage warranty. You have to buy the tire from a tire dealer to get a mileage warranty, so tires that come on new cars aren't purchased by the car manufacturer with one.

Thank you, that was very helpful. I think the hot weather and new pavement account for the increased wear, I'm just surprised its so dramatic. I'm really not interested in a warranty claim anyway, I'm going to just replace them with a better and less expensive tire.

Just a thought here dlayman.... think about getting V rated speed tires.. a) they would handle the heat much better B) they would improve ride quality as well.

They would be about $20 more per tire I think. But the ride quality and heat resistance would make them a good buy in the long run. The ones I got Goodyear Assurance comfortread touring V rated tires lasted the 70k miles. Now my car specd a V rated tire so I had no choice in that.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
... think about getting V rated speed tires.. a) they would handle the heat much better B) they would improve ride quality as well.

Can you help me understand why you believe a "V" rated tire improves ride quality? For example, sidewall stiffness, construction, softer tread compound, etc - just what is it ?

Originally Posted By: Cressida
... think about getting V rated speed tires.. a) they would handle the heat much better B) they would improve ride quality as well.

Can you help me understand why you believe a "V" rated tire improves ride quality? For example, sidewall stiffness, construction, softer tread compound, etc - just what is it ?

I'm with Cressida here. As a general rule, higher speed rated tires are built stiffer so the steering response is more crisp - and that negatively affects ride harshness. I note there are exceptions, but they are specific to a brand/line of tires and not because of the speed rating.

Well for starters if a tire dissipates heat better than you wouldn't have as much heat buildup. Which would keep your car from feeling like you were driving on 4 highly inflated basketballs due to very high psi related to lack of heat dissipation.

The Z or ZR rated tires are of course rated higher than a V rated tire. They aren't putting these high performance tires on cars that they don't want to ride well. Now, they are always things that run contrary to generalizations. But, a good strong majority of time this would hold rather true.

Last edited:
You live in Pennsylvania. What hot weather are you talking about?

Our pavement gets to 200 degrees here.

It can get over 90 degrees in parts Pennsylvania rather regularly man. No it's not 115-120 like you all have seen lately. But 90°F ambient air temps would heat up black asphalt to well over 160° plus. Still quite toasty.

It can get over 90 degrees in parts Pennsylvania rather regularly man. No it's not 115-120 like you all have seen lately. But 90°F ambient air temps would heat up black asphalt to well over 160° plus. Still quite toasty.
Lol 90 degrees

Well it's all relative to where you are ... and total sun and black asphalt still gets quite hot even at 90-100°F ambient air temperature.

Kind if like it being near say 80°F at the top of Mt. Washington in NH. . That's WAY hot up at 6,288 ft in the northeast. Where the summer high temps in the coastal plain east of there can hit the mid to upper 90s. It's likely mid 60s at the top of Mt. Washington. So 80°F at or around 800 millibars would be quite hot actually.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nick1994

Have you noticed increased tire wear with those crazy hot temps?

Originally Posted By: dlayman

Nope. Depends on the set of tires though.

I had a VW go 63k miles when I replaced the tires, they still had 6/32"-7/32" of tread left. They could have easily gone 100k miles or much more, but they were terrible riding, and very loud.

Originally Posted By: dlayman

Nope. Depends on the set of tires though.

I had a VW go 63k miles when I replaced the tires, they still had 6/32"-7/32" of tread left. They could have easily gone 100k miles or much more, but they were terrible riding, and very loud.

I've had two sets of Michelin tires that I changed out at 90k that still had a little tread left. I've also had a set of OE Dunlop tires that were done at 25k. It just seems odd that these Firestones were wearing at a 60k pace but are going to be done at about 35k. I just wondered if this was a relatively common scenario, it doesn't seem to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back