Tire suggestions for an EV or MPG

Hi guys,

Frustrated with tires on our Kona.

We tossed the horrible Nexens which were the OE tire. Zero traction dry or wet

I've had a set of Toyo Extensa ASii for the season so far and they're just........not great.

We seem to have lost a bit of range and never recovered. In the neighborhood of 30km per charge.

They're fairly choppy in terms of ride, noisy on broken pavement and the handling seems squirmy....the best I can describe them.

Steering is ok, and traction wet or dry is definitely better than the OE.

They are an H rated vs. the V rating from the factory....that might be stuck in my head.

Any other suggestions?

Firestone Fuel fighter,

Continental Contact LX...

Thanks!

You will likely continue to have issues finding a goldilocks tire. An efficient tire is one with low rolling resistance. Low rolling resistance generally means you sacrifice in grip by it's nature. I would imagine they also have a harder rubber compound. Basically the opposite as a soft summer performance tire.

Michelin makes a number of tires with LRR (low rolling resistance) as a key specification. And one that is specifically for your vehicle and LRR. The Energy Saver A/S. I've used some of the earlier versions with good results, but somewhat shorter tread life when compared to more conventional tires.

The sad part is that tire design aspects that maximize efficiency also tend to make the tire less than ideal in other areas. From a harsh noisy ride, to poor wet grip (due to fewer energy sapping sipes) and shorter tread life due both to compound and lower tread depth.

Michelin makes a number of tires with LRR (low rolling resistance) as a key specification. And one that is specifically for your vehicle and LRR. The Energy Saver A/S. I've used some of the earlier versions with good results, but somewhat shorter tread life when compared to more conventional tires.

The sad part is that tire design aspects that maximize efficiency also tend to make the tire less than ideal in other areas. From a harsh noisy ride, to poor wet grip (due to fewer energy sapping sipes) and shorter tread life due both to compound and lower tread depth.
Thanks Cujet

MPG = no traction

Bridgestone Ecopia.... I've run a few sets and are a tolerable 3 season tire. I don't expect the sibling Firestone to be much different.
Michelins usually cost much and are a definite go to tire.
I put some Continental LS on my Camry. Not a bad tire.
Goodyear also has a fuel fighter tire that can be considered.

Spike the tire PSI a couple pounds on the current tires to see if it helps the range.

EV-specific tires are about extreme longer range rather than actual handling. Electric cars seem to be more heavily affected by tires than gas engine ICE cars. So what would normally be a small mpg difference in a gas engine will make much more of a difference in range on an EV.

You will likely continue to have issues finding a goldilocks tire. An efficient tire is one with low rolling resistance. Low rolling resistance generally means you sacrifice in grip by it's nature. I would imagine they also have a harder rubber compound. Basically the opposite as a soft summer performance tire.
this
i had from factory michelin eco tyres, they were hockeypucks...
i avoid anything eco.

this
i had from factory michelin eco tyres, they were hockeypucks...
i avoid anything eco.
I'm almost leaning towards taking a hit on range for better performance.

I think that's my beef with the Toyos .....marginal performance and ride quality with not-so-great economy

Hi guys,

Frustrated with tires on our Kona.

We tossed the horrible Nexens which were the OE tire. Zero traction dry or wet

I've had a set of Toyo Extensa ASii for the season so far and they're just........not great.

We seem to have lost a bit of range and never recovered. In the neighborhood of 30km per charge.

They're fairly choppy in terms of ride, noisy on broken pavement and the handling seems squirmy....the best I can describe them.

Steering is ok, and traction wet or dry is definitely better than the OE.

They are an H rated vs. the V rating from the factory....that might be stuck in my head.

Any other suggestions?

Firestone Fuel fighter,

Continental Contact LX...

Thanks!
Michelin energy saver tires: not long lasting, but, Lrr, comfortable, and pretty quiet. Ymmv

MPG = no traction

Bridgestone Ecopia.... I've run a few sets and are a tolerable 3 season tire. I don't expect the sibling Firestone to be much different.
Michelins usually cost much and are a definite go to tire.
I put some Continental LS on my Camry. Not a bad tire.
Goodyear also has a fuel fighter tire that can be considered.

Spike the tire PSI a couple pounds on the current tires to see if it helps the range.
Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max.
Very high maximum tire pressure.
Best MPGs.
Definitely a trade off.
OP might want to look at Pirellis.
The homework is at Tire Rack.

I've had the CUV/SUV version of that tire, and they are quite grippy when the road gets curvy

Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max.
Very high maximum tire pressure.
Best MPGs.
Definitely a trade off.
OP might want to look at Pirellis.
The homework is at Tire Rack.
Thanks for the reply! I just placed an order for Pirelli P7 AS 2.......It's a mouthful, but theyre highly reviews

Don’t compromise safety (performance) for mpg and longevity. Michelin and Continental. If they make Michelin Pilot A/S 4 in your size, go for it.

Thanks for the replies fellas. Always appreciated. I did put a set of those Pirellis on order, so time will tell. I feel a bit guilty buying new tires.....considering the Toyos are only a year old, but we dont drive much and we'll have this set until they dry out.....I might as well be confident in them.....I do wonder if I'm being too hard on the Toyos because theyre as much fun as dry toast

Back