tire store profits

Status
Not open for further replies.
What kind of profit do tire stores makem off of installing a tire from their shop?Just curious why tire stores will allow a customer to bring in their own tires to be installed.Seems like a tire store would say thay can't install tire unless the tire or tires are bought from them because of some kind of legal issues like "How can we be sure the tires will not fail.We can't be responsable for blowouts and accidents."

from what i can tell from my work, there's not much markup on tires. you make your money on up selling brake and suspension work.

when i worked at sears we would only mount carry in tires that were new, ie still had the stickers on them.

If I remember correctly there's not a huge markup on tires. They make the money on the extra's that they can upsell.

There really isn't any liability that I can see from a place putting on the tires you bring them, especially if they're new. If they're used, there's probably fine print in the paperwork you sign that says they can't be held liable for tire defects. They'd send you to the manufacturer for that.

They'd really only be liable for a tire that was damaged during installation but put on the car anyway. That's why I ALWAYS watch the guy mount them and then immediately check the pressure and the tires themselves before I even get in the car to leave.

It gets very annoying when those idiots try and upsell their services and you tell them NO about ten times in a ten minute period.

Some tire places over price their tires and some will deal on price of tires.Another thing I hate is to rebalance the tires all over again.The tire places do not calibrate their tire balancing machines since they are used a lot

Originally Posted By: wafrederick1
Some tire places over price their tires and some will deal on price of tires.Another thing I hate is to rebalance the tires all over again.The tire places do not calibrate their tire balancing machines since they are used a lot

I've been wondering about this very thing. I had some tires mounted and balanced, and I was pretty sure that they weren't balanced right. I went back, and they redid them, and they're better, but I still think that the machine might be off.

I have seen this,rebalanced tires all over again which a tire shop did and this was a Chrysler mini van about 4 years ago

I've known a few people who worked at Belle Tire...little markup on tires. Unless they push those private brands, which belle is starting to do. They're hoping at this point that you need a set of brakes....

Originally Posted By: ET16
Originally Posted By: wafrederick1

I've been wondering about this very thing. I had some tires mounted and balanced, and I was pretty sure that they weren't balanced right. I went back, and they redid them, and they're better, but I still think that the machine might be off.

When I have a balance problem and the shop can't seem to get it done I go to the higher end rim & tire places. Look for a place that's always doing high end cars. They're usually putting on several grand worth of rims & tires. Their customers always expect it to be perfect the first time and they pay the higher prices for it. Those places usually do better maintenence on the equipment and are usually much more careful with the wheels & tires. It'll cost a little more than other places, but if it's $20 more that saves you from burning $30 in gas going back somewhere else a bunch of times.

Originally Posted By: AdRock

When I have a balance problem and the shop can't seem to get it done I go to the higher end rim & tire places. Look for a place that's always doing high end cars. They're usually putting on several grand worth of rims & tires. Their customers always expect it to be perfect the first time and they pay the higher prices for it. Those places usually do better maintenence on the equipment and are usually much more careful with the wheels & tires. It'll cost a little more than other places, but if it's $20 more that saves you from burning $30 in gas going back somewhere else a bunch of times.

Or places that do mostly racing related works and expect every last bit of precision out of the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back