Tire size q

Status
Not open for further replies.
Truck has 255/70R18. I see some studded tires locally but they are 235/60R18. 694 rev per mile instead of 634, so a big hit. But, will they fit my rims? I'm thinking. They are too short, and not a good deal even if free.

I haven't looked to check load range, but I'm not too worried about winter towing.

235 = width in mm
60 = aspect ratio (based on width)

The 235/60s are 20mm narrower and they are not as "tall" off the rim. I wouldn't install them.

Originally Posted By: supton
But, will they fit my rims?

That depends on how wide your rims are.

But in general, I'd say skip. Too huge of a difference. You've got load index, speedo/odo error, and ABS/traction control system going bonkers to worry about. That, and less ground clearance.

That is what I'm thinking. Bummer! In my backyard and a good price!

Thanks.

Ah, but I could run the Jetta on good days, and drive truck on bad days. Commuter car with commuter tires, 4x4 with proper tires, only driven when necessary.

Oh well.

They might fit, but that's really too much of a difference. I know it sucks to pass on a good deal, but in this case I'd say pass.

The load range is what's going to kill you. You lose a lot going from a 70 to a 60 profile and they're narrower, too!

I guess its 10% difference in gearing, and you find your truck doesn't hold OD as well as you'd like...
The 10% is pretty significant, but since your hwy rpms are so low anyways it probably doesn't make much difference.
I used a pair of 10% smaller circumferance front tires for autocross on the Neon and it was very noticable, both the extra jump off the line and the extra rpms on the road. I wouldn't have run them full time, but my 60 mph rpms were 3k+ if I recall.

If you are thinking of keeping the truck for a while, I'd be tempted to do some research on LT snow tires. We have them for our vans at work and they start with 17/32 and many are only down to 12-13/32 after 3 winters(20-25k miles?). Maybe sipe them up at 11-12/32 and go for another 3 winters or use them all summer too?
Or just try the smaller studded tires and don't tell us...

Hello, In addition to the height difference which seems well beyond the "10mm" in width and 5% in aspect ratio everyone calls acceptable; you have your insurance company to keep in mind.

Those tires would send you into the "Land of Denied Claims". Kira

4x4, yes.

Snows for this truck are stupid expensive! Like $200 each. And a limited selection too. So when I see $400 for four tires, used for one month... Dang tempting!

Didn't think of that detail when I bought the thing. 255/70R18 seems to be an odd size.

Last edited:
The fact that it would look goofy notwithstanding, a 235/60R18 is most likely going to have a 107 load rating, versus the 112 of your OE tires. There are a couple of OE models that even have a 103 load rating.

Long and short of it is that you don't want those tires.

On another note, you say that winter tires are stupid expensive, yet Tire Rack has Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 in 255/70R18 for $156...

4x4, yes.

Snows for this truck are stupid expensive! Like $200 each.

I see Goodyear Ultra Grips on TR for $137 each. Granted, that's before shipping and install.

Huh, I could have sworn that they were more like $200 a pop last winter. That or maybe I was biased against Blizzaks since they wear stupid quick. Guess I remembered wrong on that account. That or the typ $20 mnt/bal surcharge, maybe it was that.

or the typ $20 mnt/bal surcharge

Well, you're gonna have to pay someone the same to mount and balance, regardless if you buy new or used tires.
smile.gif

Although if you buy new tires locally, typically the mount and balance cost will already be factored in there.

Yeah, that's what I'm seeing: bump TR's prices by $20 and that's the local price. Well, it seems most of the shops don't advertise, VIP/BJ's/Sullivan do put their prices up; but generally TR+$20 is about what I'll pay locally as long as I shop a bit.

Only thing I'm finding to be an issue is that few places seem to carry General tires. I'm also hesitant to use yet another tire shop--first shop I used to use IMO bent the axle on my Jetta (they used a jack under the center of it!), and the last shop tried to explain away a bad tire via "check the alignment first". I'd buy one of those cheapo HF tire tools if it wasn't for the balancing issue. [I think static would probably be fine but I do lots of high speed cruising.]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back