Tire Rotation Interval - too short vs. too long?

What if…..all the tire rotations create wear/stress on lug nuts/studs, wallow out lug holes on wheels, and warp brake rotors? Roast me if you like but the tire rotation at every oil change myth was created by the industry to sale brake services etc. Every 12k is more appropriate. If the vehicle has tire wear issues, an alignment is in order.

i rarely exceed 5k miles per year. when i had my AWD tucson i rotated them every year within a week or 2 of halloween. sometimes id have 5k, sometimes a lot less. but every year they get switched around. plan on keeping the same schedule with my 22 ranger. my 2020 elantra gets the same treatment & both get oil changes every 6 months.

I’d do every other without hesitation. Unless the tires wear quickly, there is warping/damage, or the vehicles is heavily modified or raced you’re not going to gain much if anything at all.

I had a lifted truck with oversized rims and tires that if you didn’t rotate the tires at least every 5K you’d be lucky to get 25K on the set. Could push the tire to 30-35K with regular rotations. At a couple grand a set it was worth it to rotate them.

Conversely had 3 sets of the exact same tire on a DD and didn’t gain anything with regular rotations. One set did rotations every OCI and the other two maybe once or twice. Got approximately the same milage out of all three sets.

Side note: I would not even do rotations if I had pay for them on a DD. But if it’s included as part of a tire or service package then sure.

What if…..all the tire rotations create wear/stress on lug nuts/studs, wallow out lug holes on wheels, and warp brake rotors? Roast me if you like but the tire rotation at every oil change myth was created by the industry to sale brake services etc. Every 12k is more appropriate. If the vehicle has tire wear issues, an alignment is in order.
Haven’t had an issue yet, couple vehicles past 200k using 5k rotations.

Ive found my FWD feather tires regardless of alignment. Frequent rotations keep the noise down, at least until the end of life.

Fair enough. I do my own rotations. But I wouldn't call them recreational, I've shown to myself that it's necessary.

But your roads may be straighter and with less issues than mine. Local roads impact tire life.

On some of my cars I do run winter tires, on a separate set. But the snow isn't the problem, rather the frost heaves are. Then there is the potholes.

But what really is hard is all the turns in the roads, gentle or otherwise. Those can soak up life also.

Do them now, doesn't hurt a thing vs. overdriving them to nearly 10K which is too much IMHO. I tend to rotate 5-7K.

Why do you have to wait for a service to rotate the tyres? It's an easy job. I only rotate once - I measure the wear regularly and when the combined wear of front and rear reaches ~6mm (adjusted depending on new tyre tread depth) I rotate them. That way the tyres reach 2-3mm at roughly the same time.

Over the years of mostly city driving and FWD I've been rotating at 5k-6k. All the city driving seems to wear the fronts pretty fast.

Pick a rotation number, between, 5-7 thousand and stick with it throughout the life of the tire/warranty.

Back