Tire repair, stone inside

Ndx

Hi

can this be repaired, I’m pretty sure I can hear stone rumbling inside ...

those Run on Flat tires
Gash is pretty long
DCE30434-358D-4D85-950E-FE693090D0F4.jpeg

I truly doubt any reputable shop will repair that. Looks too close to the sidewall. When I started the rule was that a puncture needed to be at least one inch from bend in the sidewall when the tire was broke down and looking at it from the inside. Many shops now just will not repair if the puncture is in either the inner or outer row of tread.

The gash on the outside is not necessarily what it looks like on the inside. Are you saying a rock punctured all the way through?

I bet you can find some old school garage that is willing to fix it, despite the RMA recommendations from cb_13. Since these are run flats, worst case is the repair fails and you get a slow leak that you can drive on anyway.

One of the A/S tires for my Subaru has a nail in a tire there. I kept adding air over the summer and couldn't find the hole. Finally found it. I'm going to end up plugging.

Hi

can this be repaired, I’m pretty sure I can hear stone rumbling inside ...

those Run on Flat tires
Gash is pretty long View attachment 47741
I had a stone gash similar to that on an almost new Michelin tire (less than 1000 Km). The gash wasn't quite as long as yours.

I was surprised but the local shop repaired it rather than replace it. That tire wore out along with the other 3 with no problems.

I'm not advocating that you repair this one, just relating my experience.

A large national chain won't touch that. Find an independent. Ol' Joe on the corner will patch that on the inside. That gash looks too large for a plug.

Might be worth dismounting to find the "stone". It could be the guts of an old valve core from a sloppy tire change that you're just now noticing because you're paying attention.

I'm with the "plug it" people.

I didn't think Run Flats were EVER repairable.

They are not-or you shouldn't.

There's conflict in the guidance offered by some vehicle manufacturers and tire manufacturers in relation to repairing run-flats. For example, BMW explicitly states in their owner's manual that repairing a tire isn't an option. However, one of the larger builders of run-flat tires, Bridgestone, does have a standardized inspection and repair process for their run-flat tires.

Which is correct? The tire manufacturers defer to the vehicle manufacturers. So in the case of run-flats on a BMW, repair isn't an option. The bottom line is you'll have to check your vehicle's owner's manual or with your vehicle manufacturer.

Back