Tire recommendation for getting a truck sold

They are made in China and absolute garbage. When customers ask for the cheapest tire I can get them I pick the next one up from Ironman because I don't want to be in an argument when they wear out in 15-20k miles.
Too much generalizing here. I had Ironman RB-12 touring tires on a 2013 Honda Accord that I bought used, and they performed and wore well.

Too much generalizing here. I had Ironman tires on a 2013 Honda Accord that I bought used, and they performed and wore well.
Had one customer and her entire family come in raising hell because her Ironman tires were wore down to 2/32 within 15k miles on her Dodge Caliber. The manager of the place I was working at the time said no more selling those I'm not dealing with that BS for selling a cheap tire with no treadwear warranty.

Coworker where I'm at now put a set of their AT's on a Silverado 2wd regular cab short bed and was pissed they only went 18k before being down to 3/32. He did however realize he put just the cheapest available tire on.

Better?

I alway thought the Ironman tires were a Chinese company.....
Actually Ironman is a brand name owned by Hercules Tire and Rubber Company, whose tires have been made by Cooper Tire for more than 60 years. Make no mistake, Ironman is an inexpensive value brand, but the OP was looking for cheap options in order to sell the vehicle.

A bit of a pickle. Newer tires will help make the sale - but it is not like you are just going to add that much value to the sale either to cover the cost of the new tires.

If it were me, I'd go with some lower cost tires in that are recognizeable brand names - Kumho, Hankook, etc, count here. A no-name brand implies you may be cheap on everything else here too - a somewhat competent name brand implies you at least cared that much...

One could consider selling it as is - and noting the price reflects that. Many buyers can factor that in and then put on what they want... Food for thought.

The used tire scenario may also apply here- something with more than 1/2 tread would suffice...

Curious how much road force balancing 4 tires x 5 or 6 times costs?
We have a local HS Votech program that runs a live shop. I graduated from it. They charge book time at $10/hr. Usually it runs $10-20 and I always try to leave a generous tip as a donation to keep the program going. They are fortunate to have a very supportive school administration to back them as well as great supply and equipment vendors. All of the equipment is up to date. I was actually on the last team that competed at Ford/AAA nationals, I’m sure there’s a few here that are familiar with the contest.

They are made in China and absolute garbage. When customers ask for the cheapest tire I can get them I pick the next one up from Ironman because I don't want to be in an argument when they wear out in 15-20k miles.
I have had pretty good service out of the few Ironman tires I have used. Had a set on the back of a F350 service truck and loved them. I think they are called All Country AT. My grandfather had a set on his dealership car, a Grand Caravan, that lasted 50-60k. I want to be clear here that I’m not trying to discredit you but always find it interesting how different our experiences can be.

I hesitantly bought two Ironman AT for my Titan to match the two that were already on the truck.
Great tires. One balanced out with one 1/4 oz stick on weight. Quiet on the highway and decent climbing rough two track Ozark mountain roads. Made in Taiwan. Not China.

We have a local HS Votech program that runs a live shop. I graduated from it. They charge book time at $10/hr. Usually it runs $10-20 and I always try to leave a generous tip as a donation to keep the program going. They are fortunate to have a very supportive school administration to back them as well as great supply and equipment vendors. All of the equipment is up to date. I was actually on the last team that competed at Ford/AAA nationals, I’m sure there’s a few here that are familiar with the contest.
Where's this HS shop? Love spending time and money in Missouri.

The cheapest tire you can put on to make the sale. The person buying it can put better tires later.

If you want to put a higher quality tire, you may have to increase the price of the truck, which may scare off potential buyers. So, it's a delicate compromise of price of the tires vs price of the truck vs recuperating the cost of the tires.

While i agree it is a delicate balance junk tires say something about the owner / seller. If i see new cheap tires on some thing i figure everything else has been done in similar skinflint fashion and immediately either discount buying it entirely of take 30% off because i figure i'm going to have to re-do everything that has been "fixed". I would rater have it with the wore out stuff on it.

:twocents

Also don't those have nice forged wheels on them, just leave those of have them refinished.

Starfire Solarus AP 265/75R16
Made by Cooper in Tupelo MS Plant
$115.76 a piece through Walmart.

If you need a smaller size for a 2WD and/or an HT instead of an AT they are even cheaper.

Last edited:
Back