TIRE RECALL : Continental , General and Barum possible failure of certain tires ; Go to ...

Last edited:
This is one of the most peculiar tire recalls I have ever seen.

First is that there are so many different sizes and designs spread over a 3 1/2 year period - and only a handful of tires in each instance.

Second is that overcure by itself isn't a recallable condition.

So there has to be something else involved.

Looking at the history (Here), it started with a pair of tires at an OEM. That OEM is not named, but I'll bet they threw a hissy fit (been known to happen!), so that prompted the deeper dive and the resulting fallout.

Personally, I don't think this recall is worth the effort that is being put into it.

And to fill in the details: Tire curing presses are equipped with a device that records the temperature and pressure and how long each step in the cycle took. These are normally monitored on a daily basis. Usually, only severe overcures are quarantined. However, the records are kept for a long time.

I like Continental tires and it appears that the size and tire on our 2020 Honda Pilot are listed. Will see if we ever get a recall on them.

I called the phone number for Continental in the linked bulletin because I wasn't sure if my General RT43s that I got in November were registered. I didn't remember doing that and I didn't know if my tire dealer did it. I figured that if the tires weren't registered, I would never be notified. The young man asked for my DOT numbers off of my tires (which I read to him from my garage) and my tires are not included in the recall.

Any, thanks for the heads up.

I had a Continental Truecontact suffer infant mortality via a sidewall blowout, still have one on the car.

Checked and not included in the recall.

Nice when tires get recalled. Firestone sold a house brand that was recalled. It came on my wife's car when we bought it used. When they were nearly bald, firestone put on a another set of tires for nothing.

It's funny because the original tires were recalled for tread separation, and the tires they put on my wife's car had tread separation after about 25k miles.

I also saw a separate article that Cooper is recalling 430,000 tires.

I have Contis on the Atlas and Coopers on the Touareg. Bring on the free tires?

Hope they don't expand the RECALLS that include smaller tires . Have Continental and General .

Personal experience and tire rack reviews suggest continental tires have higher incidents of sidewall failure. It’s been that way so long I’m not sure why they haven’t worked it all out. Their newest lines seem to be having fewer incidences based on endless TR reading when I’m looking, but I still see them with greater reporting than others. We’ve personally had 3 sidewall issues with conti. 2 flats and one broken cords. I’ve been fortunate with the conti ATs on my truck-those have been great so far.

Personal experience and tire rack reviews suggest continental tires have higher incidents of sidewall failure. It’s been that way so long I’m not sure why they haven’t worked it all out. ....

Yup. I tried to talk my daughter out of Contis for that reason and steer her to Brand M, but lower price won the day...

Sure enough, her and my bride are changing a tire on the side of an ohio highway due to a sidewall blow out...

Glad the tires I just got (Barum Bravuris 5HM, 205/55/16) are not on that list.
I actually really like the tires in the week I have had them (so much better ride than the old Goodyear Comfort Tread).

Back