Tire question.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to be purchasing the Yokohama Geolander H/T tires for my Jeep in size 235/75/SR15. The OEM Wranglers that came with the Jeep are 225/75/SR15. The difference in width and height is a half inch (Width +.40 - Height +.50). Will this increase in size effect handling, ride quality, fuel economy or looks or anything else? I'm thinking of going to the 235 size because the 225 seems a little bit on the small size. Thanks.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...=true&partnum=275SR5GEOHTOWL&fromCompare1=yes

Your overall gear ratio will be off by whatever amount the tire diameter increases. Your speedometer/odometer will read lower by the same amount. You also have to make sure you have adequate clearance at full steering lock and at the suspension travel limits although since it's a Jeep I doubt that'll be an issue.

Given my experience with Goodyears, anything you put on the rims will be better...

[ April 30, 2004, 03:49 PM: Message edited by: jsharp ]

quote:

Originally posted by jsharp:
Your overall gear ratio will be off by whatever amount the tire diameter increases. Your speedometer/odometer will read lower by the same amount.

I thought that only get effected if you chnage the wheel diamter not the tire diameter.

Here's all the info you need:

225/75-15:
Sidewall: 6.6in
Radius: 14.1 in
Diameter: 28.3 in
Circumference: 88.9 in
Revs/mile: 713.0

235/75-15:
Sidewall: 6.9 in
Radius: 14.4 in
Diameter: 28.9 in
Circumference: 90.7 in
Revs/mile: 698.0

Speedometer reading with the 235/75-15 is 2.1% slower than the 225. When your speedo reads 60 mph, you are actually travelling 61.3 mph.

You would notice a difference in handling and feel any time you get a new set of tires. Increasing 1 size won't have a noticable effect on that, but it'll look good.

After reading the Tirerack reviews in your link I don't think I would buy that one. I got Dunlops for my F150 from Tirerack but I wouldn't recommend them. They have a little vibration even after balancing.

I do like Bridgstone. Joe

I got the Bridgestone Revos for my 4-Runner and they are great tires! If you can get those get em.. I paid about $550 for them installed. Pics below.

Daily Drives:
-2003 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner XtraCab, 2.7 Liter , Mobil1 Synthetic SS 5W-30.
ODO 8600 Miles.
-1995 Toyota 4-Runner 3.0 V6, Mobil1 Synthetic SS 10W-30.
ODO 84700 Miles.
http://community.webshots.com/user/amkeer

For truck tires on a 4wd, I highly recommend the bridgestone dueler apt, and the bfg all terrain ta. Both are excellent, but I would give the bridgestone an edge in on road driving.
smile.gif

I disagree in this case.

The Goodyear Wrangler RTS (at least) is a premium tire.

It will definately hold its ground against a comparable Michelin Cross Terrain, LTX M & S etc.

My understanding is the speedometer error is neglegent at best.

1-2% @ 100mph is not a big deal unless your pulled over that fast.

One more thing Bridgestone Duehler HT are being phased out.

As SBC said Revo's seem to be excellent.

Amazing Bridgestone included how many tires are being made in Japan and imported here.

The Goodyear Wrangler RTS is a POS tire. While Goodyear prices it like a premium tire, anyone who has ever owned a set and switched to something else wonders why they put up with them so long! They will wear a long time, and have awful rain, snow, and ice traction. The Wrangler ATS are better and MTR is a good tire though.

I do not have personal experience with the Yoko's, but folks who I know with them are happy.

I'm also a Bridgestone fan - my current rides are on Bridgestone Dueler AT Revos and Michelin XCX/APT's (essentially the LTX AT's). The Dueler AT Revo's were worth every penny.

As far as your questions:

Handling: The size difference won't matter (so small in this case). Changing brands will make you ask why you waited until now.

Ride quality: Likely little difference - the size change is minor enough.

Fuel economy: Will decrease, even if you correct your speedo. The slightly larger tire will be heavier and require more power to get it moving. Also a bit more rollong resitance.

Looks: Its a Jeep, bigger tires always look good!

quote:

Originally posted by MNgopher:
The Goodyear Wrangler RTS is a POS tire. While Goodyear prices it like a premium tire, anyone who has ever owned a set and switched to something else wonders why they put up with them so long! They will wear a long time, and have awful rain, snow, and ice traction. The Wrangler ATS are better and MTR is a good tire though.

This is my exact experience with the RT/S tires that were OEM on my 4Runner. Crap. Typical Goodyear. Priced like a premium tire but really just an OEM rim protector.

Because of my good experience with the Dunlop Rover RT tires I run in the winter, I got a set of Dunlop RVXT tires from Tirerack for summer use. I had to return them because they were impossible to balance and numerous calls to Goodyear/Dunlop didn't solve the problem. It seems local Dunlop dealers refuse to do any warranty adjustments on tires not purchased from them. I ended up with a set of Bridgestone Revos and I'm really happy with them.

For an AT style tire, I'd recommend the Bridgestone Revos.
For a highway type tire, I'd recommend the Firestone Destination LE. It has a number of features that the Revo has but it's not as aggressive.

[ May 02, 2004, 10:25 AM: Message edited by: jsharp ]

You guys really go for the high end stuff. I used Laramie TrailCutter RT and APs (I run 4 RTs in the winter and two AP up front the rest of the year) in this size on my TJ and they cost about $260-280 a set mounted (from my sources). These were the high end for Laramie. Many lower scale tires were available from around $35-38.

For $600 (for 4) I can get BFG AT in 33x9.50. Given that BFG is a "priced fixed" tire ...so can all of you.

quote:

is 2.1% slower than the 225. When your speedo reads 60 mph, you are actually travelling 61.3 mph.

This is true in that the number of "pulses" generated by the VSS will only vary that amount. On a Jeep you actually have a gear driven VSS. That is, my 02 SE (which came with 205/75 and a 29 tooth speedo gear) has an error of about 4 mph at lower speeds (according to a GPS)...yet the 235/75 tire is only about .2" different than the 30x9.5r15 tire. The axle ratios are the same (3.73) ..yet the same 34 tooth gear (OEM 30" tire package and 3.73 gears) doesn't generate the same MPH.

That is, since it's a gear driven VSS ..it HAS to have some error to it inherently. The accuracy can only be to +/- 1/2 the next significant tooth in either direction (28.5 teeth to 29.5 teeth). If you're lucky the tooth count is dead on with the tire you're putting on. As the tooth count climbs ..it has less impact (1/34th difference as opposed to 1/29th difference).

There's also the issue that I haven't been able to determine if the odometer and the speedo are directly connected. Sure I know that they both read integrated data from the PCM (8000 pulses per mile) ..but the speedo is an analog needle ..the odo digital. That is, who's to say that the indicated mph is actually what the PCM is generating? Now you can modify the speedo reading with the DRBII scanner tool ...but no one seems to know if it also modifies the ODO reading as well.

There will be only good side effects from this tire. If it's a 4.0 ..you'll only notice a better ride. If it's a 4 banger ..you'll noitce that when you let off the gas at high speed that you've lost the magic parachute that opens up with smaller tires (better rotating mass). You're still paying for it ..but the 235/75 is the tallest and skinniest tire you can practically put on it. All the nice pizza cutters are available to the Euros and the Aussies.

[ May 02, 2004, 11:05 AM: Message edited by: Gary Allan ]

What do you guys think about the Michelin Cross Terrains? They were OEM on my new 2004 4runner in the 265/65/17 size. I felt they were the pick of the litter between the Dunlops and the Bridgestones that came as OEM selections. But looking around for replacements after these wearout there are few choices. There is a REVO in this size but BFG does not make a AT/KO and Dunlop does not make a M-55 in this size. What do you guys think?

Revos! Thats why they are on backorder everwhere.

I have the Michelins on my Tacoma and they are a 7.5 on a scale of 10. The Revos are a 9.5 on the scale, all IMO. I would never buy Dunlops again, junk!

I also like the Bridgestone Dueler A/T. I have a set on my F-150. This was before they came out with the "Revo" model. I have taken them off road as well as in the snow and on the highway. They look aggressive but are quiet. BTW, they are marked "Made in USA".

Pitbull, the Revo's are worth every penny. I heartily recommend them to anyone looking for an All-Terain tire! And yes, there is a reason they are on backorder everywhere! I got lucky with mine - the dealer had them in stock!

If you don't want to spend quite that much, I also liked the older version of the Dueler AT (D693). They are still readily availible and cheaper, and are a very good tire.

I can't comment on the cross terrain, but my experience with the Michelins has been that they are long wearing tires that give up a bit of snow/ice traction to get the wear. Note that that doesn't mean I think they are bad tires - they are excellent!

I did a little more research and came across the Kumho Venture HT's. I would like to know if anyone with OWL Kumho HT Venture tires would be kind enough to post some pics so that I have an idea of what they look like on their Jeep before I may go ahead and order them from the tire rack. The Kumho Venture HT got amazing reviews (at least 8 in every category) on the tire rack and they go for $52.00 each. Thanks

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...=true&partnum=375SR5VHT824SL&fromCompare1=yes

My fellow Grand Cherokee Owner.....The difference between the P225 and P235 is .5 (28.2 vs 28.8) inch... Not a big deal. Actually, it will make your speedo more correct. The P235 was an optional tire size on some ZJs. The speedo was designed for 28.5 inch tires. I have P235 Yokohama Geolander HT/S tires... They are fantastic! Just make sure your ZJ is properly aligned or it will be really obvious that it isn't. I would seriously consider an A/T tire like the Revos or the non-Revos. I personally thing the HT-S tires have too soft of a sidewall. Bridgestone makes good tires. If you are staying on road, get the H/Ls. I personally think those Duellers that are made for Sears are good. They look like the A/Ts with a different tread. I think the general opinion with ZJs is stick with a nice A/T tire for the best wear. BfGoodrich AT KOs are nice, they may look rough but i hear they are not and I agree. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back