tire question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello to all,

I have a question about finding what appears to be a small nail embedded in the tread of one of my tires.

Should I try to remove it with hopes it will seal or just leave it be and replace the tires a little early??

These tires has about 44K on them and I have about 1/2 tread left.

Durango

Don't try to remove it unless you are prepared to have the tire go flat. It will not reseal itself. Find a tire shop and have them do it. Discount Tire does repairs free.
Good Luck!

Take it to a tire shop and have it repaired. There's lots of tire shops that will do a free flat repair, I think they just charge you to balance the tire.

You could go grab a plug kit so that when you pull it out you are ready to fill the hole. Some people do not like these kits, but they do work and generally seal up well.

The "proper" way to fix it is to take the tire to a shop and they will remove the tire from the wheel and patch it from the inside if there is anything to patch.

Could always plug it with a kit if it leaks and then take it to a shop for a more permanent patch. But if it doesn't leak then it doesn't leak.

Originally Posted By: racer12306
You could go grab a plug kit so that when you pull it out you are ready to fill the hole. Some people do not like these kits, but they do work and generally seal up well.

The "proper" way to fix it is to take the tire to a shop and they will remove the tire from the wheel and patch it from the inside if there is anything to patch.

Could always plug it with a kit if it leaks and then take it to a shop for a more permanent patch. But if it doesn't leak then it doesn't leak.

I've done this a bunch of times. Works like a charm.

The course you take would depend on where the puncture location. If it's in a repairable area as determined RMA, then air it up if needed and take it to Discount Tire/(America's Tire) and have it repaired for free following RMA procedures. EZ. Link shows tire repairable area.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoRepairingTires.do

If it's outside that area, then you have different choices. You can use a rope/string type plug and plug it yourself. Though frowned upon by some I've had good results in the past, as in, held for a long time. Worst that ever happened after some time was another slow leak. If you go this route and pull the nail, be prepared with a rope/string plug kit.

Or you can replace the one tire since the others still have half tread. Last option, buy a new set of tires.

You get what you pay for.

The expense and effort of an internal patch is the way to go. Often the hole the "nail" produces is small so an internal patch is perfect.

With a cheap (free) plug the technician frequently has to run a reamer in and out of the hole so the tool and wet rope can be shoved in. Yeah they work most of the time but you can damage a tire's plies.

A friend got a fine fish hook through his tire and it made the tiniest hole you've ever seen. The soap bubbles it made were microscopic. He had a few old patches. We popped the bead. He roughened the site with a 4" grinder. We saved the balance and the fix was perfect.

No rat-tail filing the hole up to 1/4".

Originally Posted By: Durango
Hello to all,

I have a question about finding what appears to be a small nail embedded in the tread of one of my tires.

Should I try to remove it with hopes it will seal or just leave it be and replace the tires a little early??

These tires has about 44K on them and I have about 1/2 tread left.

Durango

If you soap it down does it bubble? Are you losing pressure?

If you aren't losing pressure and there are no bubbles I'd pull it.
Spit on your finger after you pull the nail and slap some saliva over the hole. No bubbles ... no troubles.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Kira
You get what you pay for.

The expense and effort of an internal patch is the way to go. Often the hole the "nail" produces is small so an internal patch is perfect.

With a cheap (free) plug the technician frequently has to run a reamer in and out of the hole so the tool and wet rope can be shoved in. Yeah they work most of the time but you can damage a tire's plies.

The only RMA approved repair are combination patch/plugs. That's because it seals the inner liner and the path of the injury.

That's what DT installs for free.

Tire-Patch-Plug.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back