Tire puncture - too close to the sidewall to save?

Picked up a screw in the tire late last winter. I took the wheel into the tire shop I usually use, and they said that the puncture is too close to the sidewall to allow the tire to be repaired safely.

20221031_164619.jpg

Further, they said that particular model of tire is discontinued and so I have to replace both tires on that axle.

It was late enough in the winter that I put on on of the all-seasons, but now it's time for dedicated winter tires again.

So, opinions ... can this tire be saved, or was the service writer at the tire shop correct?

Thanks!

Plug it/patch it.
Dis count tire told me I needed a new tire (tried to rip me off) when I was in the same situation a couple of yrs ago. Took it down the street to a mom and pop shop where they patched it. No issues since.

Plug it/patch it.
Dis count tire told me I needed a new tire (tried to rip me off) when I was in the same situation a couple of yrs ago. Took it down the street to a mom and pop shop where they patched it. No issues since.
A plug or patch on the corner will bounce into and over curbs, potholes, and other things and most likely leak if left long enough. If your too stupid to air up your leaky tire then it will eventually blow out, and if you roll your vehicle at speed one of those late night lawyers will sue the shop. Its not worth the $20 patch and $2 profit to take the risk. Blame the lawyers not the shop.

I can't believe I just defended a tire shop. Must be upside down day.

Now if you want to fix it yourself, very different business case.

Picked up a screw in the tire late last winter. I took the wheel into the tire shop I usually use, and they said that the puncture is too close to the sidewall to allow the tire to be repaired safely.

Further, they said that particular model of tire is discontinued and so I have to replace both tires on that axle.
You went to a tire shop where they sell TIRES, so don't be surprised if they want to sell you not ONE, but TWO tires under the veil of "safety." Are you sure that screw even made it to the inside? Find a used tire store and they will fix ya right up if you can't DIY.

I'd do a good job plugging it. Not once have I had a plug fail. And I drive a whole bunch more than most of you. Sometimes as much as 10K miles per month.

Which reminds me, I plugged a Michelin LTX MS (costco version) a year ago, and put about 30K on it so far.

Last edited:
I think it is patchable/plugable as it is not on the rounded side of the tire. But If in doubt I’d call around some of the used tire places to see if they have a suitable replacement

Certain it's outside (too close to edge) the repairable area for the current USTMA plug-patch puncture repair procedure. That being the case, I would say your tire shop is being up front with you about that.

Now whether you choose to do a diy rope/string repair on the puncture from the outside, your call. Not advocating for the latter, just pointing it out since it's been suggested earlier.

Are you sure that screw even made it to the inside?
It does look like a typical pan head screw and those are often very short, like 3/8" long at the most. With the head resting on the outer tread, there's a good chance it didn't puncture the inner rubber, let alone go all the way through.

If I worked at / owned a tire shop, I would call that non-repairable. And no, it's not to sell you a tire (or two). It's for liability and liability only.

Go to a used-tire shop, pay cash, no receipts, and they'll repair it though.

I actually plugged my sierras tire with a nail that was closer still to the sidewall than that. It never failed and I replaced those coopers with nittos once they wore out. At worst the plug comes out if you didn't properly do it but YouTube tutorials show it right. Not if it was an actual sidewall puncture or gash then I'd forget about saving it. But that's savable.

View attachment 123978

It was late enough in the winter that I put on on of the all-seasons, but now it's time for dedicated winter tires again.

So, opinions ... can this tire be saved, or was the service writer at the tire shop correct?

Thanks!
That looks small enough to use a slim plug that requires no reaming first, this mean you will not cause any further damage to the belts. I use the ones and the tools from Safety Seal, not cheap junk and will last a lifetime. You can leave the screw in there until you get the kit.

Back