Tire protectants

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I think almost all protectants contain some type of silicone. There are over 30,000 formulations of silicone and not all are bad for auto rubber and plastic.

Pretty much any protectant that is milky white and watery use the "safe" water-based silicone. The original version of Armor All is an easy-to-find example.

If the product is clear and looks/feels oily, it's prolly a solvent-based silicone oil product. I'd suggest staying away from them.

quote:

Originally posted by bretfraz:
Pretty much any protectant that is milky white and watery use the "safe" water-based silicone. The original version of Armor All is an easy-to-find example.

Interesting; I didn't know there were water-soluble silicones, but now that I think of it I don't see any reason they couldn't be designed to be water soluble.
The reason I wanted to stay away from silicone is that I'm paranoid about getting silicone on my paint and not being able to remove it when I get my car repainted. My experience with silicone is mostly silicone high vacuum grease and Black Magic tire protectant. They're both extremely difficult to remove and would interfere with paint adhesion.

D Bone, how do you know the Nano Protectant is silicone-free? I couldn't find the MSDS.

Yeah, the specific silicone used is polydimethylsiloxane (PDMS) which is not only miscible in water but also anti-static. Only problem is it's miscible in water, meaning the dressing will wash off if you drive your car in the rain or thru a car wash. But PDMS dressings are plenty safe for rubber, plastic and vinyl. And if any product slings onto your paint, it'll wipe right off with no long term damage as PDMS is not migratory.

Michelin 3 in 1 Tire Shine
Mother's FX Tire Shine
Mothers Reflection Tire Care

These are all great tire care products that are water-based.

Perhaps I shall have to try the Michelin 3 in 1 then. Thanks guys!
smile.gif

Mother's F/X isn't too glossy at all IMO. It's my favorite by far!

The Michelin stuff is definitely low gloss. It gives tires a dark and rich appearance. It seems to last pretty well also.

I've used Armor-All Tire Foam on my Goodyear Eagles for the two and a half years of their life. The car has won 2 first places in national car shows, several 2nd and 3rds. I really don't care if it has silicone or not,I spray it on and walk away. I'll be replacing these tires this month, more than 43K miles on them - this isn't a trailer queen.

I like Meguiar's "Natural Shine" (formerly "Clean, Shine, and Protect"). It's the milky stuff, not too glossy and not slippery. I use it on clean tires -- wipe on with a sponge -- the door handles, and interior vinyl and plastic, so I need only one product for 3-4 different applications. If there's no rain, it keeps the tires looking black until the next, weekly, car wash.

-- Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back