Tire price differences between USA and Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all, I know that someone posted about the differences about tire prices between the USA and Canada. Since I was already researching tires to buy I figured I would check out the price differences. So I got pricing on two different tires and compared the price to the price offered on tirerack.com. See the price differences below.

Pirelli P7 Cinturato 225-45-17 XL
List Price CDN: $198.90
Quoted price: $188.96
Tirerack price: $128.00
about 36% less in the USA

Pirelli PZero Nero A/S 225-45-17 XL
List Price CDN: $211.25
Quoted Price: $206.00
Tirerack price:$123.00
about 42% less in the USA

Just wanted to post this as I know their was a discussion about pricing differences in the USA. Obviously some of the difference accounts for volume pricing differences but it goes to show that Id rather get my tires across the border than locally.

You might have to drive back across the border for a warranty adjustment on a bad tire. And, would you happen to remember that you bought the tires when you pass through customs returning home???

My last tire purchase from Discount Tire/America's Tire were much less than Tirerack. I took advantage of Cyber Monday $50 rebate and $125 online rebates (from AT and Kumho), also at that time AT has lower price for size 235/45-17 than Tirerack, and I got $90 prorated for 3 tires. The total saving was somewhere around $280-300 for a set of 4. The final cost was $230-240 compares with more than $500 if I bought it from Tirerack and have it installed at Walmart.

Originally Posted By: Ken2
You might have to drive back across the border for a warranty adjustment on a bad tire. And, would you happen to remember that you bought the tires when you pass through customs returning home???

Yes, obviously you have to take into account the cost of crossing customs. Although if I stay 2 nights in the USA I can bring back 700$ worth of stuff tax and duty free. I got rims for 99$ each in the USA, OZ rims 99$ each, bought 4 and cost me 50-60$ in fees past customs.. so still worthwhile. Depends on the price and the deal you get. I get a great local discount on Pirelli's here that make it not worthwhile to play that game... obviously you need to consider the customs and warranty.

I've bought tires through Tire Rack a few times. Saved quite a bit including freight, duty, exchange and local installation.

A good approach is to order them while in the US and declare them to customs as goods to follow. There was some angst over 2 tires being my wife's and 2 tires being mine but customs accepted it in the end. It's as much her car as mine. Paid no duty. They suggested for future reference shipping 2 tires in her name and 2 tires in mine. Haven't done that yet.

Another good approach is to order winter tires on rims. They come ready to install. They weren't adequately balanced on one occasion but TireRack stood behind their work and paid to have them rebalanced locally.

I've been pretty satisfied actually.

Ecotourist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back