Tire Pressure Gauges...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although I originally wanted to go with a digital model, I did some research and it seems like that most all reputable gauges out there are pretty accurate, with consistent readings never varying more than 1psi.

So, I picked up this attractively priced Campbell Hausfeld model at Wal-Mart. No batteries and storage concerns (digital) or becoming inaccurate due to being dropped (dial) to worry about.
 -

What do you use?

I use a victor pencil gauge and use it for most everything. I have an expensive (spelled) accugage brand dial gauge, but I never use it anymore. The pencil gauges are hard to beat in accuracy and ease of use.

Over the years I've amassed and used both the pencil- and dial-type gauges. While calibrating, I found they all read within 1 psi of each other. It doesn't matter which you use, as long as you use it.

quote:

Originally posted by Kestas:
While calibrating

How do you calibrate a tire gauge?

Do you all find that people, including many of us "oil nuts", don't check nor maintain tire pressure as much as we should?

[ February 06, 2005, 11:15 AM: Message edited by: Jelly ]

I use several types, pencil, dial, digitial read out gauges. The problem after a while becomes like having three watches and trying to figure out the exact time.

I find myself using the dial gauge the most. It has a pressure release valve that you can let out air if you aired past your numbers and you also get an instantanous read out without having to take extra step of taking the gauge off the valve to read, which you have to do with the pencil gauge. The digital has a zero out feature. Of the ones I have tried, they place a premium on operator precision- so you can inadvertently let out more air than you care to.

WalMart has a Caufield? tire depth gauge, that next to a set of calipers is very very handy.

I was a pencil man, but now I only use dial gauges. I find them easier to use. Easy to read and easy to adjust pressure. That is what I like about them.

I use a digital gauge that cost about $20. As far as batteries go,the battery is considered a lifetime battery. If it ever dies,I send the gauge back to the manufacturer and they send a new gauge out free.

I've got a couple of different digital pressure gauges, but I don't need them for my Corvette, since it's got a tire pressure monitoring system. Each wheel has it's own sensor, and it's very accurate, reading within 1psi of my gauges (both of my digital gauges read identical too, both to 0.5 lb too)

So I can check my tire pressure every single day now, and can see the difference between hot and cold on the fly too (it'll go up by 4-5psi from cold to hot)

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
I've got a couple of different digital pressure gauges, but I don't need them for my Corvette, since it's got a tire pressure monitoring system.

Patman, how do those things work?

quote:

Originally posted by Jelly:

quote:

Originally posted by ruking77:
It has a pressure release valve that you can let out air if you aired past your numbers

Although they don't have a "release valve", can't you do the same thing with a pencil gauge as well? Just don't completely seat it on the tire valve and let some air escape and re-measure until you get it where you want it...

Oh yes, you sure can. But again it can take at least two distinct measuring cycles (more if you get finicky. I am!)

So I want exactly the same PSI from side to side, front and rear. I basically also use the time to see if they all lost or gained air at the same time or if there is an issue with one tire, i.e., flat, or slow leak etc.

So for example I measure first to know where I am at. If they lost air all the same I move to air each tire i.e.,to 38 psi front/36 psi rear. You take a measurement and if it is high or low you still have to put the plunger part back in EACH time, so you can get an accurate reading on the subsequent checks.

In these days of digital..I still go analog(from dads' explicit use of German VDO tire gauges in my younger years) and one tire gauge close to it and very high on my approval gauge(no pun) is this:

-

The Autometer tire gauge. Rated best by a leading consumer rag. It is so good and affordable that I got two for around $20 a few years back.

[ February 06, 2005, 04:32 PM: Message edited by: vwoom ]

quote:

I find myself using the dial gauge the most. It has a pressure release valve that you can let out air if you aired past your numbers and you also get an instantanous read out without having to take extra step of taking the gauge off the valve to read, which you have to do with the pencil gauge.

same here, best investment i've made.

quote:

Originally posted by Jelly:
What about the issue of dial-type gauges becoming inaccurate if dropped?

I'm a real careful guy at stuffs I own and use(not to imply others are not)that thank goodness I haven't dropped one gauge yet to be honest. I'm the kind that when I see things that could be one of those "accident-waiting-to-happen" scenarios, I take pre-emptive steps to avoid them.

When I use a sensitive apparatus be it an electrical/electronic device or mechanical(as the dial gauge)I always make it a point not to drop any. If placed on a table or wherever, I make sure it is placed securely and far away from an edge.

Am I anal or what.
grin.gif

[ February 06, 2005, 06:11 PM: Message edited by: vwoom ]

quote:

Originally posted by XS650:

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
I've got a couple of different digital pressure gauges, but I don't need them for my Corvette, since it's got a tire pressure monitoring system.

Patman, how do those things work?

Each wheel has a sensor in it which is attached to the end of the valve stem. I'm not exactly sure how it determines the pressure though.

Here is a good link:

http://www.hunter.com/pub/undercar/TECHLINK/

Only ever used the pencil type. Have been using the same one now for the past 15 yrs.

quote:

Originally posted by ruking77:
It has a pressure release valve that you can let out air if you aired past your numbers

Although they don't have a "release valve", can't you do the same thing with a pencil gauge as well? Just don't completely seat it on the tire valve and let some air escape and re-measure until you get it where you want it...

quote:

Originally posted by Eddie:
To vwoom. Where can I find/buy an AUTOMETER guage like the one shown?? ed

I got it from this site:

autoaccessories.com

Tire Gauge

No price change(after all these years)..though the brand now is Professoinal Products..quite possibly a signature clientele of Auto Meter coz it looks identical to the model #2343 gauges I got from them.

Auto Meter #2343

Still a bargain of a deal for a quality analog tire gauge(heavy thick steel casing; by Auto Meter, the same folks that makes various auto/racing dash gauges) for only $9.38.
cheers.gif

[ February 07, 2005, 01:25 AM: Message edited by: vwoom ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back