Tire life in California

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are my fellow Californian's seeing in terms of tire life vs rated mileage?

I have a pair that look like they'll be done at 50% of warranty. Unfortunately, time is not on my side to make a claim.

???

You have to run em down to 2/32" for warranty claim. There's a possibility that wear will slow down near the end due to lack of tread squirm.

Tire quality factors in heavily. Back in the day I bought some cheap tires while in college. I kid you not, they lasted one year.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
???

You have to run em down to 2/32" for warranty claim. There's a possibility that wear will slow down near the end due to lack of tread squirm.

Yes I know, I won't put enough mileage on them to get them to 2/32" before the 5 year tread warranty expires.

California's a big place.

How abrasive is the aggregate used to make the pavement in your end of your county?

How fast do you usually drive?

How hot do your roads get much of the time?

How much weight is on your tires, how much cornering force to you generate, are you sure your wheels are optimally aligned (not just aligned somewhere in spec)?

SoCal is great - if you are nearing the end of treadlife, but have enough to make it through the winter - you're set until the next November! We never get rain, so 2/32 or less is just fine spring-fall. Lets you take your time to find a good deal on tires before the next winter season.

Using the above, I can usually get near the treadlife ratings of most tires. Really depends more on the vehicle and tire than the location, IMO.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
SoCal is great - if you are nearing the end of treadlife, but have enough to make it through the winter - you're set until the next November! We never get rain, so 2/32 or less is just fine spring-fall. Lets you take your time to find a good deal on tires before the next winter season.

Using the above, I can usually get near the treadlife ratings of most tires. Really depends more on the vehicle and tire than the location, IMO.

Yeah I did that with my rears last year / this year, but will have to change them now. And like you say, I bought a set of tires in a deal rather than pay full price when you have no choice.

The fronts don't need changing but are wearing fast. Their warranty expires at the end of the year and there is not way I'm going to get to 2/32 by then. I expect to get less than half the rated life from them.

Originally Posted By: surfstar

I've seen almost monsoon like rain in Southern California. It was so bad that I was looking to get off I-5 and wait it out, when it suddenly slowed to a drizzle. There was also a massive pileup near Irvine.

Mazda RE-11A = ~8,000

GMC LTX M/S2 = ~55,000

'31 Model A Deluxe Roadster = 5 years owing to ozone-induced deterioration

Treadwear claims are voided by virtue of my usages...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back