Tire failure

BeerCan

$50 Site Donor
Well mt favorite front has finally bit the dust. I purchased a few of these tires 10 years ago, and I think they were pretty old at that time. I didn't care as I love this tire as a front, 2.30 Resolution Pro frown Was it age or did I cut it on the trail? Tire held air my whole ride, but was flat when I went out this morning. [Linked Image] [Linked Image] BTW this guy hung out with me all day, stayed on this tire for about 6 hours until I finally had to move the bike [Linked Image]

Last edited:
Yeah after 10+ years the rubber seems to harden and crack. I had some of the last of my favorite tires, panaracer fire xc, have the knobs just rip off the carcass as they got old.

BeerCan

$50 Site Donor
Originally Posted by Jethro_Bob
[Linked Image] Kinda looks like some type of chemical damage maybe?
I think that is just where the latex leaked out from the stan's no tube.

BeerCan

$50 Site Donor
Looks like the damage might have been from the inside. Could be from the latex mix, this was not a tubeless ready tire but I always ran them tubeless. Perhaps the many years of that stuff sloshing around in there finally broke the rubber down. The area is really soft and tears easily. [Linked Image]

Originally Posted by BeerCan
Looks like the damage might have been from the inside. Could be from the latex mix, this was not a tubeless ready tire but I always ran them tubeless. Perhaps the many years of that stuff sloshing around in there finally broke the rubber down. The area is really soft and tears easily. [Linked Image]
Some tires were not recommended to run tubeless due to the casing material and the amount of ammonia in the original Stan's formulation, back in the day. I haven't had issues with Specialized 2Bliss (or 2BR) tires with sealant.

Typically, tubeless tires have a halobutyl rubber liner to keep air from permeating through the tire. I agree. Air permeating the tire caused an internal separation, which after a while caused the tread to crack.