Tire deteriation - How long can I run them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a 2003 Yamaha Virago last year with only 900mi. That summer I put a total of 2300 mi on the odometer so at this rate, treadwear is not going to be a problem. I don't see any visible cracks.

What is the general guideline for tire replacement not due to treadwear? How about the inner tube?

Originally Posted By: Razl
I bought a 2003 Yamaha Virago last year with only 900mi. That summer I put a total of 2300 mi on the odometer so at this rate, treadwear is not going to be a problem. I don't see any visible cracks.

What is the general guideline for tire replacement not due to treadwear? How about the inner tube?

That's getting old for motorcycle tires. As tires get older the tread gets harder and you lose traction.

If it were a car I would be starting to be concerned. If it were my motorcycle I would get new ones.

Usually, the integrity of a tire's internal construction is only a concern with budget tires and/or in areas with lots of potholes and such. Even in those cases, dangerous blowouts are extremely rare and you can usually go by feel -- i.e. replace your tires if the ride gets too bouncy or wallowy.

Other than that, just inspect your tires visually and replace them if the rubber hardens excessively or starts cracking.

I've heard 5 years as a general guide for tire life. But that depends on how the bike was stored over those years, and how well the prior owner maintained proper inflation. Since you're coming up on the 5th year I would change them now if it were my bike.

I've often read expert opinions that tire deterioration can begin to be significant after 5-6 years. Personally, because of the special danger posed by a failed motorcycle tire, I wouldn't drive a motorcycle on tires more than 5 years old, especially if the bike's parked in the sun when not in use. The sun's probably the biggest factor in deteroriation.

I can tell you that 4.5 to 5 32nds tread is hard and slippery on Bridgestone Turanza LS-H tires that are 5 years old with 63,000 miles. I lost traction on a snowy and/or icy road at low speed last week and did $2000 damage to my never wrecked 95 BMW.

I blame the tires as much as anything. They will be replaced when the car is out of the body shop.

Originally Posted By: Razl

What is your skin worth? How much is it worth to you to stay OUT of the hospital for a week?

New motorcycle tires are a lot cheaper and a lot less painful than a trip to the hospital in an ambulance.

I've run motorcycle tires much older than that. As long as they are not weather-cracked on the sidewalls. Also carefuly check the tread for any signs of separation. I think you'll be fine.

Now, like others have mentioned - tires get harder as they age and lose some of their grip. Be especially mindfull of this when riding in the rain or just on wet pavement.

If you're half-way crazy..... or ride that way..... then the advice is to change them immediately.

For car tires, tire shops won't service a 10 year old tire. I've read that significant deterioration begins at year 6. I would think that for motorcycle tires, you may want to consider 5 or 6 years max as suggested above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back