Tire co's & other tire co's they own?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many tire companies own other tire companies (Goodyear owning Kelly Springfield) (Cooper owning Mastercraft) just to name a few. So are the tires made for there second line of lesser quality then there main line? Are the tires say sold by Mastercraft something that Cooper did not feel was good enough to put there name on so they make that tire for the Mastercrat line? Not to pick on Cooper tire just use as an example...

sometimes they reuse older molds, or cheaper tire ingredients.

usually they arent "cutting edge" tire technology or "premium" tires.

they are usually tires built more with value in mind.

Last edited:
Compare Michelin, BFGoodrich, and Uniroyal's offerings. Also some of the tire brands are marketed towards certain audiences. You would not see a tire like an All-Terrain or Mud-Terrain from Michelin.

Michelin BFG and Uniroyal are perfect from a marketing standpoint.

Michelin is the established premium line. So, if you've worked hard to establish a premium name... then how can you ever sell an economy tire without tarnishing your reputation?

Simple. You buy Uniroyal, and see turn it into your "economy" brand.

And you buy BF Goodrich and turn it into your "sporty/performance" brand.

They're not going to deliberately make turkeys for the value line. It's mostly a distribution thing so corner tire shops don't have to compete directly against Sears and Walmart.

I used to have a list from a Consumer Reports article(tire test) from the 90's on which tire companies owned other tire brands.

I don't quite remember all of them but, I'm sure it's changed considering companies in general are frequently selling/buying other divisions since I had that list!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Camprunner
Many tire companies own other tire companies (Goodyear owning Kelly Springfield) (Cooper owning Mastercraft) just to name a few. So are the tires made for there second line of lesser quality then there main line? Are the tires say sold by Mastercraft something that Cooper did not feel was good enough to put there name on so they make that tire for the Mastercrat line? Not to pick on Cooper tire just use as an example...

There just isn't a rule here - not even a rule of thumb. It's literally all over the map.

Some tire manufacturers produce a wide variety of the same tire in different molds - and some produce different levels of tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back