Tire choice 2016 Lexus es 350

Joined
Apr 22, 2005
Messages
518
Location
Chadds Ford
Think I narrowed it down to two choices : Hankook KINERGY PT - SIZE: 215/55R17 KUMHO ECSTA PA51 SL 215/55ZR-17 Approximately the same price within $20-$30 total for 4. Both are priced well at Tire Rack plus I save $40 on delivery and pay no sales tax by picking them up from the warehouse myself. My mechanic mounts and balances them. Anyone experience with either or both?
 
Joined
May 25, 2005
Messages
13,646
Location
ROCHESTER, NY
I watched the Tire Rack's testing videos on those tires? Do you currently have(OE), Michelin Primacy MXV4? If so, few tires will be as serene as MXV4 for your ES. I'd say that between the two: Hankook Kinergy PT(touring) will keep your ES closer to what the ES is all about but not quite. Kumho Ecsta PA51(grand touring) is more performance oriented and you may not like that(unless you've already changed from OE. Both of these tires are in different performance categories. Do you want to change the character of your car or keep closest to what you have?
 
Last edited:
Joined
Jul 5, 2019
Messages
342
Location
STL, MO
^This was a very well thought out response, and Char brings up some points that I feel are not always considered. Tires can make quite a difference in the character of a vehicle. Oftentimes, it seems that tires receive a poor review when they're performing as intended, and were simply a poor choice for said consumers application. That said, the Kumho is more of a performance oriented tire, but there is rarely a free lunch. Are you willing to sacrifice some creature comforts to achieve sharper handling?
 
Joined
Sep 18, 2002
Messages
5,185
Location
VA
I have no personal experience with either tire. I do have years of experience with Lexus. There is no way I would use either of those tires on a 2016 Lexus. I'm just sipping my Black Rifle asking myself, "What would cause a man to consider these tires for such a wonderful vehicle?" Many years ago, many years ago, I attempted a similar experiment as you are describing. I tried it with 2 cars. I was sick to my stomach within 5K. If I had a junker beat up runaround, I may consider the options you mention. I would not use either of these tires on a "new" Lexus and take away the main reason I purchased the car. Smooth, quiet luxury. Char Baby makes several excellent points. If you go with one of those, please keep us updated about 5-10K miles down the road.
 
Joined
Aug 11, 2011
Messages
4,709
Location
N.C.
Subscribed: My wife's 2013 es350 will need the current Michelin MXV4's replaced soon. Not intending to hijack but would Cooper offer anything acceptable with a smooth quiet ride for the es350?
 

Toros

Thread starter
Joined
Apr 22, 2005
Messages
518
Location
Chadds Ford
Originally Posted by Char Baby
I watched the Tire Rack's testing videos on those tires? Do you currently have(OE), Michelin Primacy MXV4? If so, few tires will be as serene as MXV4 for your ES. I'd say that between the two: Hankook Kinergy PT(touring) will keep your ES closer to what the ES is all about but not quite. Kumho Ecsta PA51(grand touring) is more performance oriented and you may not like that(unless you've already changed from OE. Both of these tires are in different performance categories. Do you want to change the character of your car or keep closest to what you have?
They are the Primacy MX4s. I am reconsidering this now. Kuhmos are out. I now recall having them on our old 2004 Saab 9-5 Aero. They sucked. Horrible tread life. I replaced them with Vogues which were great tires but two entirely different cars this time. What about PIRELLI CINTURATO? They get great marks for everything but wet traction.
 
Joined
Apr 13, 2013
Messages
3,060
Location
The Northeast
Originally Posted by Char Baby
I watched the Tire Rack's testing videos on those tires? Do you currently have(OE), Michelin Primacy MXV4? If so, few tires will be as serene as MXV4 for your ES. I'd say that between the two: Hankook Kinergy PT(touring) will keep your ES closer to what the ES is all about but not quite. Kumho Ecsta PA51(grand touring) is more performance oriented and you may not like that(unless you've already changed from OE. Both of these tires are in different performance categories. Do you want to change the character of your car or keep closest to what you have?
^^This. Can't go wrong with Michelins. You don't want to mess up that smooth Lexus ride. And this is coming from a guy who generally buys Korean tires.
 

JHZR2

Staff member
Joined
Dec 14, 2002
Messages
46,780
Location
New Jersey
Originally Posted by gman2304
Subscribed: My wife's 2013 es350 will need the current Michelin MXV4's replaced soon. Not intending to hijack but would Cooper offer anything acceptable with a smooth quiet ride for the es350?
+1. Have had great luck with Primacy tires...
 
Joined
Jul 27, 2013
Messages
3,530
Location
Outer Banks, NC
Nearly all Michelin tires are overpriced and overrated. Unless you drive 20-25K miles a year, who needs a 60,000 mile tire, even if you drive a Lexus or a Benz?
 
Joined
Nov 9, 2008
Messages
18,648
Location
NH
Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
Nearly all Michelin tires are overpriced and overrated. Unless you drive 20-25K miles a year, who needs a 60,000 mile tire, even if you drive a Lexus or a Benz?
I could use them! I do drive 25k/year (well I used to) but 70k rated RT43's only last 40k. Which was better than the Michelin's that lasted only 30k... MXV4 and Primacy. I don't recall hating the MXV4 but the Primacy's were about the scariest things on snow I've had the misfortune of driving on. [Yes I know, use snow tires in snow conditions--let's skip that.] I'll vote RT43 over Michelin any day of the week. That said, that wasn't the question. I have not had Kumho yet but at least one set of Hankook have worked ok for me, so I'd vote for those. Not very scientific I know.
 

Toros

Thread starter
Joined
Apr 22, 2005
Messages
518
Location
Chadds Ford
Originally Posted by UG_Passat
We gone this many posts and no one mentioned the almighty General Altimax RT43? Instead of the PA51, try: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes
Bingo! Winner winner chicken dinner! That's what I went with....General Altimax RT43s. Good tire at a good price. I'm in the camp of Michelins being overpriced and overrated. The original Michelins on there now have 31K on them.I could go another 5k...max and that would be it. They drive nicely and wear evenly but that's just as much the Lexus as it is the Michelins..mso all things considered, they were good for 35K...big deal.
 
Last edited:
Joined
Oct 3, 2014
Messages
1,888
Location
NoVA
The Kumho are more performance based while the Hankook are a ultra longlife touring tire. So both are good tires. If you drive a lot and want long life then get the Hankooks. If you drive a little less and are ok with lower lifespan and/or want better performance then get the Kumhos. The Kumho Majesty 9 Solus TA91 someone linked to above also look good. Little better life than the PA51 but more performance than the Hankooks. Good middle of the road of those 2.
 

Toros

Thread starter
Joined
Apr 22, 2005
Messages
518
Location
Chadds Ford
I went with the General Altimax RT43s. $381.00 out the door, no tax, $40 discount for picking them up at the warehouse. My mechanic will mount them. $20-$25.
 
Joined
May 25, 2005
Messages
13,646
Location
ROCHESTER, NY
Were you able to benefit from the General Tire $50 rebate? I have had the General AltiMAX RT43 on my wife's previous Lexus RX(for 18 months prior to selling). And though they're not the perfect tire for a Lexus IMO, they are indeed a good tire just the same without feeling as serene of a tire as I would have liked for that vehicle. ATMOF, we again(March 2020) put the AltiMAX RT43 on my SIL's '14 GMC Terrain(she loves'em) and my daughter's '15 Civic(she as well) in my signature. You will like'em for the money so, always keep that in mind if/when your Lexus doesn't quite feel the same as it once did. Please keep us posted. You made a good choice. Good Luck, CB
 
Last edited:

Toros

Thread starter
Joined
Apr 22, 2005
Messages
518
Location
Chadds Ford
Thanks for your solid input. I couldn't find any currently available rebates for General. Seems the last offer expired end of April. I have an RX too. It's my car... 2016. I bought it back in October with 25K on it. It came with four brand new Laufenn tires... a Hankook derivative. So far they're fine but I'm keeping an eye on them. Of course the ES and the RX are two very different drivers. I'm wrong on the price. They were $452 out the door. Plus whatever my mechanic charges me for mounting and balancing.
 
Last edited:
Joined
Mar 8, 2012
Messages
13,297
Location
Colorado Springs
Originally Posted by Jimzz
The Kumho are more performance based while the Hankook are a ultra longlife touring tire. So both are good tires. If you drive a lot and want long life then get the Hankooks. If you drive a little less and are ok with lower lifespan and/or want better performance then get the Kumhos. The Kumho Majesty 9 Solus TA91 someone linked to above also look good. Little better life than the PA51 but more performance than the Hankooks. Good middle of the road of those 2.
Kumho is absolute garbage. That is only way to describe them.
 
Top