Tire blew while driving....

Messages
72
Location
Richardson, TX
Bought a 94 Lexus GS300 about a month ago....two older tires in the back and two new ones in the front....was driving to Orlando (2 hr drive) and the car started shaking...than BAM!! Man....I thought I dropped my tranny...cause I had just had the full flush/filter change done a couple of hours earlier...ended up being the rear driver's side tire blew...luckily Lexus comes equipped with a full size spare... Anyway...I'm going to buy 4 new tires...any suggestions?
 
Messages
336
Location
Schwenksville, PA
quote:
Originally posted by jeremyquinn: Bought a 94 Lexus GS300 about a month ago.... Anyway...I'm going to buy 4 new tires...any suggestions?
IMO: Kumho HP4 716 - good economical choice Yokohama Avid H4S - durable mid-$$ choice Bridgestone Turanza LS-H or LS-V - decent handling high$$ choice
 
Messages
350
Location
Indianapolis, IN
I love Bridgstones, but they burn too fast for the price they charge, IMHO. I started buying BS back in the 80s when they were thought of as a B brand passenger car tires. They were and still are great tires...just expensive in the bang-for-buck department. I have run several sets of Kumhos and can't say anything bad about them. I can talk all day about bad experiances I have had with: - Goodyear - Dunlop - General - BF Goodrich
 
Messages
4,009
Location
Calgary Canada
I was passing a motorhome this summer on the highway and when I got beside him, his driver's side front tire blew. Scared the cr*p out of my wife, and it sounded like a cannon had gone off beside us. Then chunks of tire were flying all over the place. It actually felt like some kind of impact, and I got a ways ahead and pulled over to see if a chunk of tread had blasted a dent into the side of my truck. It was kind of a surreal experience...
 
Messages
3,931
Location
Somewhere in the US
Take a lesson from Jim 5's experience. When tires blow, especially high inflation truck tires, the expanding air can cause a lot of damage. Since this can occur at any time (Can you predict when you're going to run over something?), it's best to limit your exposure. Don't spend a lot of time next to a truck, if you can avoid it. Pass them or allow them to pass you. This applies to any vehicles with LT tires (heavy duty pickup trucks and motor homes) as well. Hope this helps.
 
Messages
56
Location
New York City
quote:
Originally posted by jeremyquinn: Bought a 94 Lexus GS300 about a month ago....two older tires in the back and two new ones in the front....was driving to Orlando (2 hr drive) and the car started shaking...than BAM!! Man....I thought I dropped my tranny...cause I had just had the full flush/filter change done a couple of hours earlier...ended up being the rear driver's side tire blew...luckily Lexus comes equipped with a full size spare... Anyway...I'm going to buy 4 new tires...any suggestions?
Stay away from Dunlops.
 
Messages
77
Location
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I got a set of Dunlaps from Sams for my beater. So far, they're good. Much better than the worn out Generals they replaced. Those were dangerous--in the wet they began to hydroplane like crazy. That's the decision point to replace all seasons--when they don't shed water anymore. The Dunlaps felt so good (mainly smooth and quiet compared to the Generals) that I got another set for the daughters Camry. Their advantage is mainly in price.
 
Messages
1,910
Location
Vista, CA
I was passing a big truck on his left when a right side tire on the truck drive wheels blew and I got hit by pieces of rubber, a lot of them. It was like a bomb, made a big bang and a lot of flapping. I was going 80 and the truck was going about 70. I stopped to see if the driver needed any help. What was left of the tire was boiling hot, the fender over both tires was gone along with the mud flap and there was evidense of hits on the cab and trailer. Scary stuff.
 
Messages
1,627
Location
Timberline
You wouldn't believe how many people drive with underinflated tires, this leads me to believe the reasoning behind a lot of blow-outs. Old worn out tires are a whole different ball-game - much more dangerous. I drive my family crazy cause I'm constantly - at least twice a month, checking everyone's pressure. You can't be too safe doing 75 on an open highway - many of trucks generally roll.
 
Messages
56
Location
New York City
quote:
Originally posted by burnbomber: I got a set of Dunlaps from Sams for my beater. So far, they're good. Much better than the worn out Generals they replaced. Those were dangerous--in the wet they began to hydroplane like crazy. That's the decision point to replace all seasons--when they don't shed water anymore. The Dunlaps felt so good (mainly smooth and quiet compared to the Generals) that I got another set for the daughters Camry. Their advantage is mainly in price.
Wait when they go out of round. Dunlop's have belt shift issues that cause pulling, tire going out of round, and in some cases if you ignore the symptoms the belts break apart and the tire blows up. These symptoms are hard to ignore. [poof]
 
Messages
11,329
Location
Florida, Cape Coral
I'm with brikhead and his choises. I'm now running Kumho 716 HPs here in Cape Coral Fl. And they do great in the dry and monsoon season. I would add the Yokohama Touring tire to the mix.
 

jeremyquinn

Thread starter
Messages
72
Location
Richardson, TX
quote:
Originally posted by Tosh: Jeremy: May we inquire as to the brand of tire that blew? And a speculated cause?
It was a Continental tire. I was watching a show on television that was talking about the overall life of a tire and that you should't be rollin tires over 3-4 years old. I bought this car used from the orginial owner who didn't drive much. I suspect the tires were old and cracked up...the tread was fine, but the tires were old...I checked the tire pressure before I left on the trip so that wasn't the cause...
 
Top