Tire Balancer Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's your budget? I got a 30-year old Snap-on non-motorized jobbie that I have to spin a crank to get going.

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
Hunter if you can afford it.

Is there a particular model you had in mind?

Do you have personal experience with this brand?

Thanks

Hunter road force balacer with hammerhead option. We have the heavy duty one at work for balancing heavy truck/bus and smaller tires at the shop

Last edited:
Hunters are basically what all the major shops seem to use. The other brand would be Coats.

OP - are you needing a balancer for home use or for a shop? The high end Hunter models do have features like Roadforce and laser marking of weight location, but it seems like you would need to go through many sets of tires in a year to justify the cost.

The real eye opener is when you end up spending 2-3 grand on all the different adaptors, and wheel weights on top of wheel balancer, you will eventually need. I found out the hard way. I'm now needing more pin plate adaptors with the oddball bolt patterns showing up now. There is no end to it. That is why tire balancing always cost more than you expect. Just spent $700 on new cones to work with the worthless plastic chrome clad wheels. It is not so much the balancer, but more about how to make it work, even with a good wheel, and tire. A horse and buggy looks pretty good sometimes.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Hunters are basically what all the major shops seem to use. The other brand would be Coats.

OP - are you needing a balancer for home use or for a shop? The high end Hunter models do have features like Roadforce and laser marking of weight location, but it seems like you would need to go through many sets of tires in a year to justify the cost.

This balancer will be for a shop. I have no experience with Hunter but I have used FMC, Snap-On, Coats and Hofmann.

Originally Posted By: Traction
The real eye opener is when you end up spending 2-3 grand on all the different adaptors, and wheel weights on top of wheel balancer, you will eventually need. I found out the hard way. I'm now needing more pin plate adaptors with the oddball bolt patterns showing up now. There is no end to it. That is why tire balancing always cost more than you expect. Just spent $700 on new cones to work with the worthless plastic chrome clad wheels. It is not so much the balancer, but more about how to make it work, even with a good wheel, and tire. A horse and buggy looks pretty good sometimes.

Thanks for the heads up!

Here's a portable one at HF for $80 on sale which might be ok if you're doing this as a hobby.

http://www.harborfreight.com/portable-wheel-balancer-39741.html

edit: ah, just saw this was for a shop. Prob not a good idea then.
smile.gif

I have been using a $3000 + adaptors John Bean VPI II(Snap on) balancer for years with good results. I can do better than most, can do with a $20000+ Hunter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back