Tire are better nowadays

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems to me that tires have improved dramatically over the last 20, even 10 years. There is a lot of high tech built into tires even though they look pretty much the same as they have since Henry Ford began his first production line.

I'd say that a cheap tire now is probably significantly better than a top-of-the-line tire of just 10 years ago, and certainly better that a top-line tire of 20 or 30 years ago. Better in lots of ways; durability, ride, handling, traction, hydro-planing resistance, longevity, etc.

I'm not suggesting that we all should buy cheap tires, for tires are the only thing connecting our two-ton mechanical masses to the ground! But, I do think there is a lot of value to be found in tire brands such as Yokohama, Kuhmo, etc.

I'm definitely a supporter of Yokohama, have 4 trucks riding on Geolander AT II's.

However, they have discontinued this particular model, nor do they carry a 265/75 16 in a 10-ply, so when my diesel's tires are shot - end of summer - I'll be turning to Firestone Destination m/t's probably. Which is too bad, because the Yok's have worn great on this truck, just too skinny for my liking.

this is very true. i have to chuckle at those people buying $100 a piece tyres for their minivan or economy car.
any tyre that can meet even the lowest dot standards (for example traction c tempature c) is vastly superrior to tyres built 20 years ago, or gasp, bias ply!

Yoko, Kuhmo etc are not necessarily cheap tires. Might be inexpensive in their category's but not cheap tires. Sears Guardsman are CHEAP tires. If those are better than good stuff from 1987 I'll eat my shorts!!! JUNK!!! They look flat at pressure and the only thing I can say good is they hold air and have some tread.

When I worked their we also had a Sear brand BF Goodrich tire known as a Revelation. Not that one I can live with as a basic tire. Not fancy but not better than a top end Michelin from 1988 either but it will get the job done.

The normal stuff is slowly moving in a positive direction and new competition sure helps drive the old standby's.

From my experience I still think Michelin makes the best tires. They are the roundest, most evenly weighted tires on average out their.

Having sold and repaired tires continously since 1970,I'll have to agree with Vaca.

ewetho,
You should decide if you want any salt&pepper to go with that cotton (or maybe silk)
laugh.gif
. It's not just tires, EVERYTHING automotive is better than it's ever been. Especially tires and oil!

Bob

Quote:

this is very true. i have to chuckle at those people buying $100 a piece tyres for their minivan or economy car.

if you ride a minivan or economy car doesn't mean you don't need good tires. you need all the help you can get with those type of cars. your statement's logic that links #@$%! car-#@$%! tires doesn't make any sense.

Quote:

any tyre that can meet even the lowest dot standards (for example traction c tempature c) is vastly superrior to tyres built 20 years ago, or gasp, bias ply !

There are exceptions. Many of todays real off road tires are bias (Swampers, Boggers, Baja Claws, etc) because radials do not hold up to the abuse.

I agree with you on the yokohama and kumho statement, vaca. Im looking to replace my tires, not soon but probally next december before the winter weather (at the rate im wearing my current tires, they'll be bald by then). I wanted to buy goodyears, just because of their history, and the fact they're one of the only american tire companies left.

Well reading the reviews and test results, kumho makes a tire that is superior to goodyears best tire, and cheaper than goodyears cheapest tire. These are for the ones that come in my size. There's no way im going to buy a goodyear just to support them.

That'd be like me buying castrol syntec for $6 a quart, when pennzoil platinum is right next to it for $3 a quart.

I just put a set of Falken Ziex 512's on my IROC Camaro. Had a set of goodyears on it before. The "goodboots" were LOUD....very loud, and wore out in about 30k miles. I put the Falkens on and immediately noticed that I only had to turn my stereo up to about 17 for volume, as compared to 22 with the goodboots. And handling........WOW. Major difference. The goodyears were only 4 years old, hard to beleive in 4 years tire tech improved that much in the Falkens. Got a full set of 245/50/r16's out the door for $420 with tax and a 60k wear gaurentee, free lifetime balances, free rotates, and the usual road hazard warranty at Amecica's tires.

I'm a very happy camper so to speak!

What exact Goodyear tire were they? There are many different Goodyear tires.

The 60k mile wear is mainly marketing. Ever notice all the exclusions and the hefty pro-rating that goes on.
smile.gif

Quote:

[snip]

I wanted to buy goodyears, just because of their history, and the fact they're one of the only american tire companies left.

Well reading the reviews and test results, kumho makes a tire that is superior to goodyears best tire, and cheaper than goodyears cheapest tire. These are for the ones that come in my size. There's no way im going to buy a goodyear just to support them.
[snip]

The Yokohama Avid Touring tires on my car were built in Salem Virginia at the plant formerly known for making Mohawk brand tires.

If you can't find a U.S. company, finding a U.S. built tire may be the next best thing.
smile.gif

Ones im talking about are the goodyear comfortreds. $72 a tire for my car.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Assurance+ComforTred

And the yokohama avid trz's, $57 a tire for my car.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=AVID+TRZ

Now I know im not really talking apples to apples here, because the goodyear is designed to be a quiet tire, but for tires that both has a 80,000 mile warranty and for the yokohama that has better specs and $60 cheaper a set, my money would go to them.

Now the triple treads i'd consider buying, but they dont make it in my size.

These are the ones in the price range of the yokohama avid trz's.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Integrity

And only have a 50,000 mile warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back