Tips on storing oil (for oil hoarders)

I was a participant in the Great Oil Harvest Hurricane Walmart event, and amassed huge amounts of oil, which I've been slowly selling, trading, and using for my fleet of vehicles. I also recently moved, and had to move thousands of quarts. In this experience, I've gathered some tips to share.

Heavy duty shelving is a near must-have, try to keep a floor barrier between the floor and jugs - even cardboard or wood, to reduce leaking. Climate control or at least indoors and out of direct weather or sun is a must-have. A large basin under the oil is suggested, if possible to contain leaks. If you get oil in boxes/bags, keeping in boxes/bags until needed as extra leak protection. Keep all the unused bags, and even clean empty/used oil jugs, for future leakers if you need to transfer oil.

If you have time, it's smart to write the date (month/year) on jugs of acquired oil. I do this on my oil filters too when I install them.

Please share any of your tips.

The downfalls of oil hoarding with enough supplies for a decade or more out. 😄

My tips:
  • Be aware of how much you have and how long it will take you to use it. If you have more than 20 qts, make a spreadsheet
  • Have somewhere to store it. Somewhere that is not in the way where bottles/jugs will not be hit or bumped around too much. Should be indoors, temp controlled is best, but an attached garage is fine as well, temps should not get below freezing or above 100*F (not because of oil issues, but because of potential increased bottle failure)
  • Oil containers can and do leak (even if stored correctly). Not often, but often enough that you need to be aware to check them on occasion, and make sure where you store it will not be damaged by leaking oil, or have some type of containment in place
  • Don't buy oil weights you don't need. Don't buy too much oil if you plan on selling or buying a vehicle soon
  • Be gracious with your stash. I change oil for 3 family members on a regular basis, and have done a few free changes for friends/neighbors
  • Know it may be an issue if you have to move, or if you have some type of disaster (fire, flood, earthquake, etc)
  • Know when you have "enough"

l store my stash in the kitchen cupboards with the pots, pans and also the dinnerware. That way, my wife lets me know immediately if one of the jugs is leaking. :p

Last edited:
I was a participant in the Great Oil Harvest Hurricane Walmart event, and amassed huge amounts of oil, which I've been slowly selling, trading, and using for my fleet of vehicles. I also recently moved, and had to move thousands of quarts. In this experience, I've gathered some tips to share.

Heavy duty shelving is a near must-have, try to keep a floor barrier between the floor and jugs - even cardboard or wood, to reduce leaking. Climate control or at least indoors and out of direct weather or sun is a must-have. A large basin under the oil is suggested, if possible to contain leaks. If you get oil in boxes/bags, keeping in boxes/bags until needed as extra leak protection. Keep all the unused bags, and even clean empty/used oil jugs, for future leakers if you need to transfer oil.

If you have time, it's smart to write the date (month/year) on jugs of acquired oil. I do this on my oil filters too when I install them.

Please share any of your tips.

Just curious, how many thousands of quarts did you have to move? Where did you store them? Where are you storing them now? Did you have, or did you rent, a truck or trailer to move them? How long did it take you to amass such a stash? Do you feel you have enough, or are you still seeking deals and looking for more?

Keep a couple jug in the trunk and when you see them being full price at Walmart, return for store credit at full price, then buy them back when they are on sale with rebates.
No sense of ethics. That's called fraud, which is why they track your non-receipt returns with your ID and limit it to a certain amount. I've seen someone get denied a return under this policy. If you return with receipt they refund what you paid. But I guess if its not enforced, it doesn't matter because its under 950 dollars? Or do you justify because you've been oppressed by the oil companies? :rolleyes:

I was a participant in the Great Oil Harvest Hurricane Walmart event, and amassed huge amounts of oil,
I didn't hit it as hard as you, but I'm glad to have a decent stash since oil is up. I probably have about 16 jugs total left, 13 xW20 (which should be good for any future cars using xw20) and 3 jugs xW30 m1/RGT. I change my oil every 6 months, so its going to be a while before I even think about buying any.
Where do you post to sell besides facebook?

No sense of ethics. That's called fraud, which is why they track your non-receipt returns with your ID and limit it to a certain amount. I've seen someone get denied a return under this policy. If you return with receipt they refund what you paid. But I guess if its not enforced, it doesn't matter because its under 950 dollars? Or do you justify because you've been oppressed by the oil companies? :rolleyes:
Yea-it seems somehow the moral compass doesn't apply when trying to ripoff a major corporation. Because you know "they can afford it."

It is not fraud. They never say you cannot buy low return high, they also didn't guarantee you can return high if you buy high before a price drop without a receipt.

It just "cancel out" a sales they make today with a sales they make "yesterday".

It also doesn't make a difference if you do this vs going back to the store to buy a discount item and then return it with a 90 day old receipt because you bought it back then without a discount, or was there any difference vs asking for a price match afterward.

Yea-it seems somehow the moral compass doesn't apply when trying to ripoff a major corporation. Because you know "they can afford it."
So if you buy something and keep it for 90 days, and then return it with a receipt for the same price, it is not ripping off the seller? That 90 days of inventory cost suddenly come back will cost them money as well, likely 3% minimum. Every return cost the retailer money as well even if you are returning for the same price.

Thing is, the rest of the world is not that forgiving in merchandise return, they usually have a no return, only exchange for defect policy. Are we ripping off the retailers as a whole? Or are the retailers doing this because this help them with sales overall? You be the judge. If they really don't want people to "rip them off" they would not allow the return for store credit without receipt policy, they left it there because as a whole they make more money and it doesn't cost them as much as losing a customer to competitors.

Last edited:
Back