Tips/hints for a new (old) corolla owner, 1.6L

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a 97 corolla 5 speed with 108k, and 1.6 motor. So far, I had the timing belt and water pump changed, did plug, cap rotor, wires, have redline gear lube and auto RX in the mail now. Other than the seemingly glazed clutch that causes massive shudders when engaging from a stop, the car is pretty good.

Any tips, hints about these cars? Anything to look for, to try and prevent, etc? I heard this motor, 4afe?? I think, is nearly bulletproof!

Engines are bullet proof. Regular maintenance will give you more trouble free miles than you ever imagined possible.
wink.gif

LOL steve, i saw you post that in another thread. I believe it! What about drivetrain, any glass parts like CV joints, wheel bearings, etc etc? I did the fuel filter, as well as all the tensioners with the TB/water pump.

Pretty fun to drive, especially if i can figure out the crazy shudder from the clutch! Shakes the whole car!

No they are pretty good all around... The most I have ever seen my dad replace was maintenance items like brake pads/rotars etc... I think we did a drive shaft on one, but that was because the lady drove around with a torn boot for too long and the joints dried out and snapped.

I have a 94 Corolla. Might want to check the CV boots. I've had to replace both of them.

My clutch is the same way!

The motors in these tend to be oil consumers. Keep an eye on the level!

Last edited:
You might try an MMO soak in each cylinder like the Saturn guys do as well as a bit in the oil right before you change it. I put the remainder of the 32oz bottle in the crankcase and gently ran the engine 20 minutes after the 24 hour soak of the cylinders, then changed the oil.

I just did that at 235K miles on my '94 with the 1.6L 4A-FE engine and so far 1800 miles into this oil change I may have used 4 oz of oil. Before the treatment, I would have used a quart easily, if not more.

I did change the PVC as well as new plugs, cap and rotor. But never before has the new PVC valve made any difference in the consumption, so perhaps I had sticking oil rings.

We'll see how things go as we get to the end of my 5K mile OCI, but so far, things look much better.

Bottom line, if you have oil consumption, you may be able to reduce it with a overnight soak of each cylinder with 3oz of MMO, and then put a towel over the holes, spin the engine over to blow most of the liquid out, and then replace the plugs and fog the neighborhood, LOL.

It looks like both outer boots have been replaced, they are the harder plastic-y type. Drew, is yours as bad as in, when letting out the pedal in first gear, the whole car shakes pretty bad?

I did a few clutch slips to see if i could smoooth it out (minding that its a dangerous procedure), and i think it helped a bit. But if they are all like this, oh well haha. I have seen countless corollas/prizms for sale with miles around 100k that advertised "new clutch".

What kind of oil do you guys run? Im thinking of just slapping in some GC 0w-30 after my auto-rx and calling it a day.

Although if consumption is high, i will try a MMO soak perhaps. So just cranking it with a rag above the holes is enough to blow out enough so theres no risk of hydrolock?

Last edited:
+1 to what Drew said. Keep an eye on the oil level. GC is a good oil, but if it consumes a lot, it will get darn expensive. These engines are easy on oil, so it will do just as well on any old 5W-30 you toss at it. 'Most' Corolla people on here tend to do that.

Originally Posted By: VW_TDI_PD
It looks like both outer boots have been replaced, they are the harder plastic-y type. Drew, is yours as bad as in, when letting out the pedal in first gear, the whole car shakes pretty bad?

Sometimes, usually when it's cold and first driven in the morning, especially if I drove the snot out of it the previous day. Mine's got 150K on the OEM clutch, so I'm sure the plate and disk are glazed over from heat pretty good.

I'd stick with a conventional 5w-30 . Was close to 14 years ago that we had an '86 CHEVY Nova ( Corolla 1.6 ltr. ) that had nothing but conventional motor along with a 1 quart dose of SLICK 50 for engine every 35,000 miles or so . This was due to motor routes that it endured for 170,000 plus miles . Bought it with little over 100,000 miles for a $1,000 dollars from a pastor . Swear that car had holy water in the cooling system . Took a beating for the many years we had it . Favorite car to this day .

Originally Posted By: VW_TDI_PD

I did a few clutch slips to see if i could smoooth it out (minding that its a dangerous procedure), and i think it helped a bit. But if they are all like this, oh well haha. I have seen countless corollas/prizms for sale with miles around 100k that advertised "new clutch".

What kind of oil do you guys run? Im thinking of just slapping in some GC 0w-30 after my auto-rx and calling it a day.

Although if consumption is high, i will try a MMO soak perhaps. So just cranking it with a rag above the holes is enough to blow out enough so theres no risk of hydrolock?

I cranked it quite a bit. I removed the ignition fuse so there was little risk of a spark and cranked it with no plugs for about 30 seconds. I'm pretty sure that blew most of the liquid out during the compression stroke of each cylinder.

I doubt this is the cause of your shudder but is the engine movement messing with the throttle cable making it close? Then the engine rocks forward opening the throttle... Repeating until you gave it more gas... My wife tried to teach a friend to drive std with this throttle feedback loop in action and I think she was scared off for life!
That car also had the regular clutch shudder too, we just revved it a bit higher or lower to avoid it. Went alot of miles that way.
Ian

Ill check the throttle cable... as for now the blower motor is a bit noisy, is it a hard job?

Im having the LOUDEST squeal driving down the road sometimes, hitting the brakes takes it away, also moving the steering wheel back and forth too. Gonna take the brakes apart and check it out. New pads, maybe previous owner didnt do it right.

Nah its not the throttle cable... i can hear what seems to be the clutch plate rattling as i let the pedal out and give it gas.

Hah, so turns out, the idiot who did the brakes last didnt re-grease the pins, and one was stuck SOLID. Took care of all of that. Was probably the cause of my squeal.

I cant believe the simple process of lubing the slide pins is overlooked so much! PS i used CRC synthetic caliper and brake grease.

wonder if 1 or more of your motor mounts are bad . They tend to rot . May want to check that on an old car such as yours . Think I may have had that issue years ago on 1 of the many cars we owned . Memory ain't what it use to be . ;- ) GOOD LUCK

Yea I was thinking that... not sure though, when i stab the throttle on and off, the motor doesnt move much, and i think bad mounts would make shifting into other gears not so smooth...

in any case, the shudder is like wheel hop! I hope ill just find a way to make it smoother and get used to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back