Tips for the used car shopper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not (yet) in the market for a used car, but probably some day not too far off will be looking for a 2nd car. Thought I'd start a thread to throw in what I've learned from my own experience, and also gain some new knowledge from the contributions of others. So to start things off, here's what I've learned (through mostly good experiences, and one major mistake which was my previous car) - these are no particular order of importance:

- don't rush the buy. The only mistake I ever made when used car shopping was when I was between wheels and let my impatience get the better part of me. Regardless of how badly you feel you need something right now, you have to check it at the prospective buyer's door.

- decide your price range, and shop within it. This is probably second only to the first tip in importance. Also take into account the likelihood that any used car is going to need at least some work (most seller's decide, at least partly, that they are going to sell anywhere up to a year or two before they put the car on the market; once that mindset has set in, if something 'should be' repaired or maintained, but doesn't need to be for the car to continue running, there's a good chance it won't be).

- once you've established your price range, and added in some headroom for licensing and registration, plus some likely repairs (hopefully minor ones if you've approached the sale right), look at the adds for your area to see what the hot sellers are in your price range. Be realistic and take the above into account. Once you've determined what your budget can buy, start trimming the list by determining what you want from this car. If fuel efficiency is a big factor, eliminate the gas guzzlers. If you need something for hauling equipment around or towing, eliminate the candidates that aren't up to it. By the time you've finished you should have a reasonable handful of models from specific model year ranges to consider. Now's the time to do the homework on that model; not after you've contacted the buyer or gone to look at it - by then you're either too rushed or its too late to properly research this car. Aside from running your potential candidates through the usual sources for reliability ratings, recalls, and known issues, you should also find the car's forum. Every popular car (the kind of thing the ads are going to have lots of) has its owner forum. See what the owner's are saying, though take everything there with a grain of salt. You may see a lot of questions about a variety of issues, but keep in mind most people only post on these sites when they have a problem they need feedback on. But by the same time, if the biggest threads and majority of the posts are about one or two serious issues, its probably not a good sign. Read some posts as this is where you'll find the least biased information about the car; the people who are on these sites are owner's, the enthusiasts, the modders, the DIYs.

They tend to be pretty candid with each other. Look at the tone of their posts - do they seem like otherwise happy owners, with no major issues; or does it resemble more a self-help group for owner's so frustrated that the forum looks like a group therapy site, or place for them to voice their displeasure. Based on this, you can scratch a few more and then you're armed with the info you need to begin the hunt, including common things to look for and ask about.

- never look at a used car at night, or in poor light. Darkness and shadows conceal, or understate, not only minor blemishes and dings, but also signs that a half-baked accident repair was done, as well as rust and corrosion.

- the more you're spending the more extensively you should be looking the car over. At a minimum, this would include a full walk around to visually inspect every inch of it, getting on the ground to have a peak at the exhaust system and everything else you can visually inspect; a thorough look under the hood to inspect all fluid levels (and conditions (a good indicator of not just potential problems, but how well its been maintained), and a look under the oil fill cap.

- make sure your test drive includes some highway and WOT acceleration (doesn't have to be from a dead stop). Some potential problems only show up under heavy acceleration or at highway speed (weird engine noise; shaking or vibration felt in the wheel; rattles; etc).

- treat the seller as though you're interviewing him for a job. Don't be afraid to ask about whatever crosses your mind. This should include whether or not he's (or her) is the original owner, only driver, where the car is serviced, does he have his service records, can you look at them, etc. Pay attention not only to what he says, but how he says it and his body language. Look for signs of defensiveness or evasiveness. If he's either, there is more to the picture than the inspection and test drive has revealed.

- Never appear eager. No matter how much you want the car, never show any sign of it. Treat the potential sale as though the car's value needs to be proven to you, and so far its missed the mark. This will show in your body language, and is not just good as a negotiating tactic, but is more likely to get the seller to start revealing some details he's up til now left out (best adopted after the test drive); he will think you've discovered something wrong with the car, and if explanations are going to come, this is when you're most likely to get them.

- Always trust your gut. If at any point you get a bad feeling about the car, or a bad vibe from the seller, walk away. Your car is out there, it just isn't this one.

-Spyder

Wow, I could have written that!
In a nutshell:
Decide what car you want. Make, Model, Age, Price range before you start kicking tires.

Do your home work, and become a bit of an expert on that car.

Trust you gut instinct!!

Take time. (I figure it's no 'Big Deal' to spend 6 weeks researching and looking for the 'right' car.
After looking at the Good the bad and the ugly, you will know a good deal when you see one)

If after that you buy a car that does not meet your expectations, you could still (most likely) sell it on with no loss of $ to some sucker that Did Not do his homework.

In 38 years, I've only been cought once. I did not trust my instinct.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: expat
Wow, I could have written that!
In a nutshell:
Decide what car you want. Make, Model, Age, Price range before you start kicking tires.

Do your home work, and become a bit of an expert on that car.

Trust you gut instinct!!

Take time. (I figure it's no 'Big Deal' to spend 6 weeks researching and looking for the 'right' car.
After looking at the Good the bad and the ugly, you will know a good deal when you see one)

If after that you buy a car that does not meet your expectations, you could still (most likely) sell it on with no loss of $ to some sucker that Did Not do his homework.

In 38 years, I've only been cought once. I did not trust my instinct.

+1, you made a really good point there that I left out: if you unwittingly buy a dog, don't add fleas by throwing good money after bad. Like expat, I likewise got caught once with a dog on my hands. Rather than admit my mistake, and cut my losses by putting it right back on the market, I instead hung onto it and poured far too much money into it (good money after bad).

It is part of human nature that its hard to admit to (even) ourselves when we've made a mistake and then begin doing the proper damage control to cut our losses. Instead, the natural tendency is to rationalize, defend and justify it somehow to ourselves (the flaw of the human ego), and then to throw good money after bad based on wishful or hopeful thinking.

This kind of mistake can happen to anyone, no matter how intelligent, informed, or careful they are. You can minimize the chance of this, but never completely eliminate it. If it happens, admit it for what it is (no big deal at that point) and dump it. If nothing else you've gained a little more experience from it, and without having poured good money into a bad investment.

-Spyder

Last edited:
Not bad guys! No point in me repeating the good points brought out. Keep in mind a maint log can be faked. Here's a tip from a former new/used car salesman. If you are not car saavy make sure you take the vehicle to a trusted mechanic and put the car on a lift.

If you buy from a dealer, keep in mind most late model used cars and lease returns have close to $5,000 added into the dealers cost of the vehicle. This was in the NY area where I worked. That's typically how much we added above their cost to the asking price. So if a dealer is asking $15,995 for a car and you offer $13,500 he's doing quite well. So work up from a stupid low-ball offer, not down from their asking price.

I remember so many times people would offer $13,500 or even $14,000 on a car we listed for $15,995, and I'd politely say will you take the car home today? BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. No haggling, they took the bait, the hook, the line and the sinker! Their look was priceless, and they took the car on a "spot delievery" which netted me an extra $100 on the sale.

Buy a car with problems! They all have them, so you might as well know about them before you buy. There are lots of people who live right on the edge and can't pony up $1000 for a modest repair.

This pretty much means private party. I looked at a saturn VUE at a dealership, waste of my time. Flood car or something. Dealers add value at wholesale pricing, so their cars had better be roadworthy. Car was advertised as needing a muffler and CV joint, jeez, why didn't they do it? Because it was also throwing 10 codes (I brought my scan tool
lol.gif
), very strange stuff I've never heard of, the door didn't line up right, etc.

I've pointed this out and found it to be true when buying new cars; it goes for used as well. Don't go look at a car when you're hungry or tired. It'll affect your judgment.

I have operated slightly differently in that I don't set my mind on a particular make, model, style, year, etc. I go out with a price in mind and shop for the best available vehicle in that range or for less. When buying used gas mileage is less important than getting a car that won't require major repairs and has low mileage. Unlike some others on here, age doesn't scare me. I'd rather go for old, lightly used, well maintained, than for newer with lots of miles. Plus, an older popular car is often simpler, cheaper for parts, and because it's not stylish or "in" you get it a lot cheaper.

I would add-be VERY, VERY CAREFUL with ANY used car you look at at a new car dealership-many times I've come across undisclosed, covered up, jury-rigged vehicles that had NO business being for sale at half of what they were asking for them. Private party is usually the way to go-but watch out for the curbstoners. In these days of Google searches, those guys are easy to spot!

The new car franchise legitimizes the profitable used car business. Customers assume some sort of non-sleaziness...

Well done Spyder!

Buried in that post was what I've used as a very important tool. "Interviewing" the owner.

I'd say once you narrow things down to a couple of different years/models you're looking for, look privately. Both of my last purchases were privately. I did the usual CarFax stuff and went to the sellers house to look at the car. There's a lot of information you can easily pick up from the visit. Their other vehicle types, the condition of them, how they stored the vehicle, and even the house itself. Some stuff you know, like how long they've owned the vehicle and maybe an accident, ask about in general terms.

With all of that info definately "use your gut" to make the decision. There's other cars out there. You'll find one.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Buy a car with problems! They all have them, so you might as well know about them before you buy. There are lots of people who live right on the edge and can't pony up $1000 for a modest repair.

This pretty much means private party. I looked at a saturn VUE at a dealership, waste of my time. Flood car or something. Dealers add value at wholesale pricing, so their cars had better be roadworthy. Car was advertised as needing a muffler and CV joint, jeez, why didn't they do it? Because it was also throwing 10 codes (I brought my scan tool
lol.gif
), very strange stuff I've never heard of, the door didn't line up right, etc.

This is very true. Its unusual advice, but especially good advice when your used car budget isn't very big, you don't need the car right away, and you're a DIY who can tackle the repairs right away. Unless its going to be a parts car, it should at least be able to be test driven.

You've kind of hit on what I'm looking for in my 2nd car: the budget for it will be low (think beater price), since I will be paying cash. Definitely under a grand. Not a lot but, given a grand, a lot of time to look as its just an additional car, and that I will be looking for a project I can fix up myself, it should:

- be fundamentally sound: no serious corrosion, no engine block problems, no transmission or cooling problems.

- have some visual rust. While rust is generally something you want to avoid, in this market segment rust is good (so long as its confined to the right body parts and not underneath): provided its of the ugly but easily repaired variety. This is a big depreciation factor, so its plus in pushing my target car price down, but its something I can repair myself inexpensively as long as its in the right places and there's no perforation or things hanging off.

- be running so I can test drive it and get the feel for anything pointing to serious or expensive repairs, which would rule it out.

- have some nice dings and scratches. Depreciation thing again, but easy and cheap to fix myself.

- except for the cosmetic stuff, and one or two inexpensive repairs I can do myself, be in good condition otherwise and not show signs of abuse, neglect, major accident damage, or cascading part failures (it must not be the kind of car I will be constantly fixing nickel and dime stuff, as it adds up over time and becomes a real PITA to deal with).

My seller will be someone who generally took care of it, but due to job less or other financial circumstances, he can no longer afford the car; or he's moving and looking to sell it quick (these are good sellers as they'll take any reasonable offer when its cash on the spot).

This is more of a risk buy, so I will be going in prepared to dump it if ends up showing signs of being a money pit or unreliable, which may mean taking a slight loss (kind of like playing poker).

-Spyder

Adding to what I said earlier is to look for unstylish and not cool if you really want to save money. A lot of people are very sensitive about their image and feel that their car says a lot about them. Me, I could care less what anybody else thinks so long as the car suits my criteria. For example, I've been driving "grandpa" and "grandma" cars since I was in my 20s because they were considered uncool to the max. These are cars that are usually at least 10 or more years old, some sort of big bland sedan, with auto everything and not performance at all. My current '95 Grand Marquis fits this description. Bought it for 3 grand about 3 years ago with about 80,000 miles, perfect condition except for a busted turning light up front.

Be prepared when you step into a car dealership, new or used, to be [censored]'ed by the biggest [censored]'ers on earth and without a DOUBT you WILL know more about the car you are interested in then they can ever dream of. Oh, and be cautious of the "I applied to much cologne this morning to help me sell" odor too.

For new car buyers: be prepared that once you've committed and the salesman knows he has you, he will offer you all kinds of nonsense extras 'as they're not really adding much to the price,' only most of them are useless or way over priced, and they add up fast. From a former dealership manager: its where they (the salesman and the manager) make their money.

Know exactly how long you plan to keep the car before he offers you the extended warranty. Its wasted money if you're a buyer who doesn't keep their cars longer than the standard warranty.

-Spyder

My rules are a little different.

#1 Stay away from former daily rentals. By and large they've been rode hard, put up wet, and a high percentage of them have been involved in accidents where they probably haven't been repaired properly.

#2. Don't spend all your money on a vehicle, and not have the money to maintain it. You look stupid in your 2 year old Escalade with the windows down because the a/c is out and you don't have the money for a new compressor.

3. Be sure you buy what you need first, and what you want second. You can fall in love with what you don't like, but there's nothing you can do to fit your family of six into a Civic comfortably. Or safely.

Good points, and related to your first point I'd apply it to off lease vehicles as well. Many who lease have no intention of buying it once the lease is up, and treat it accordingly. There are no guarantees a non-leased vehicle was treated any better, and exceptions to the rule when it comes to off-lease as well, but used car shopping is to an extent like playing the odds. The more favorable they are, the less risk involved and the more likely you are to wind up with a good buy.

-Spyder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back