Tip: Sticking Speedo and Tach Needles

I have to replace the fuel gauge in the LS and I want to address the sticking speedometer and tachometer needles while the panel is out of the car. The needles will stick at zero during the hot summer months. This is a chronic problem with the LS (and maybe other Toyotas) when they age. Whacking the top of the dash is a temporary fix but not ideal. Sticking needles don't effect the performance of the car, the trans shifts and the engine runs properly. It's just an annoyance.

A permanent fix is to clean the needle shafts of old silicone (unless you have Freon, it will never totally be removed) and replace it with new, Shin-Etsu KF-96, 1000Cs silicone fluid.

Shin-Etsu fluid is unobtainium in any small amount. This is what I plan to use as a substitute. I have the Shin-Etsu data sheet but a TDS exists for the Losi fluid to compare with.

20230308_155605_silicone fluid_cropped_resized.jpg

The speedometer needle in my 1985 190D occasionally sticks. Like your situation, it doesn’t affect anything, and it will pop up by about 20-25 mph.

I’m curious what you mean by needle shafts. You mean the shaft that the needle is perpendicularly affixed to? What exactly are you lubing? 1000cSt is pretty darn viscous…

if this works I might use superlube silicone oil, as the PTFE may be helpful…

I had an old high mileage Dodge Omni in the mid 2000's I'd have to tap the top of the dash to get the speedo needle to unstick after a drive on the freeway. Nice to know I was living in the same company as Lexus and Mercedes owners. :ROFLMAO:

I would have done Krytox PFPE oil - same stuff used to lube the o-rings in scuba regulators at assembly and also called for by GM and Mercedes for squeaky convertible top/moonroof seals. It doesn’t stain and it’s a fluoropolymer.

On Lexus models, the needle unit windings go out. I recall the fix was to “wind” the needle from 0-high and hope for the best.

Yamae is a knowledgeable source for most everything LS400 (especially electonics).

I consider this post general in nature (applies to 1990-1994) wrt, "needle shafts".

Back