Tip (?) - CV Boot maintenance

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all, yes, I know my sanity will be questioned after reading this post.
crazy2.gif
Im OK with that.
thumbsup2.gif

Anyone do any maintenance on their CV boots? I have recently started to use Vinylex (no silicates/petroleum base) on my boots at every oil change. While the oil drains, I use warm water and wipe off the boots. Then wipe on a little Vinylex, and use a clean cloth to wipe away until the boot no longer looks wet. I was a bit concerned with dirt attraction (leading to abrasion and/or damaged) to a boot "wet" with product, hence my reasoning behind wiping them down.

I figure its good to be inspecting these things as often as I can, and during an OC, it seems most convenient.

Your thoughts?

I used to spray them down with silicone spray during a brake job or oil change. Like Eddie says, I'm not sure it does a thing for longevity given where they are and how they are used. I kinda lost interest!

Joel

As I've posted this many, many times before: there's nothing you can do to slowdown or stop the deterioriation of CV boots, citing the following:

(a) ground ozone will cause those synthetic rubber to crack

(b) heat from CV joint itself will cause deterioriation.

You can spray anything you like if that makes you sleep better at nite but in the end: you'll still have to replace/repack/service them when they crack. One thing I found out with my past experience is that various different manufacturers and perhaps slightly different materials may have different lifespan: some of them tends to last only a few years while some can go for over 100,000kms at a time.

*I have rebuilt/repacked over 100+ CV boots to date and EMPI and OE gets my vote.

Q.

I do it too (with Meguiar's vinyl/rubber stuff) about once a year (along with whatever other rubber suspension pieces I can reach). Since I do all the other rubber things and they look good, how is it a waste of time for the boots? If I can get even an extra year out of the boots it was worth it.

I clean the underside of my car at the power car wash (simple green) twice a year...just to get the grease & dirt off. Spraying rubber parts on your drivetrain or chassis is a waste of time and $$. Keeping grease & road grime off is important as petroleum based anything rots the rubber.

" petroleum based anything rots the rubber" PT1

And what, pray tell are they packed with??

Just for the record, IMO, spending time "servicing" CV joint boots really means you need to get a real hobby, too much free time.

Bob

Originally Posted By: alreadygone

Just for the record, IMO, spending time "servicing" CV joint boots really means you need to get a real hobby, too much free time.

Kind of like all of us on this board.
grin2.gif

If there is a lot of mud or dirt that gets on there, it's best to clean them off.
But this is unusual for street cars - maybe for off road vehicles.

Some boots last forever with no maintenance of any kind, some just crack every 60,000 (like my camry). Ford, Buick, Mistsubishi just keep on goin

Just genetic

Bob

True. But sometimes you just want to tinker with the car, and when it's a Honda product there's really nothing much left to do...

11 years and 160,000 miles on the original boots on the front of my 98 f-150. I never did a thing to them except spray them with the pressure washer after a big mud event.

I concur that some boots/suspension bushings are of higher quality depending on vehicle make and simply last very long without any care vs. others that disintegrate routinely at a given age/milage.

Does anyone know what kind of material these components are made of?

I asked the OP's question to 303 Aerospace Protectant and here is their reply:

".....Uncertain of what type rubber is used in the above named, we will address this generally........

UV light and ozone are degradants to many types of rubbers, 3 examples are latex, tires and neoprene.......

Please review this tech bit:
http://www.303products.com/tech/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=378

Please note how 303 serves as a barrier to ozone...that ozone must eat away the 303 protective film before it can get to the treated material. Periodic reapplications maintain this barrier and provide a significant degree of protection over the long term......

IF the rubber items you mention are subject to degradation from ozone and other oxidizing gasses under the hood, then routine use of 303 A. Protectant will extend their life."

" petroleum based anything rots the rubber" PT1

And what, pray tell are they packed with??

Bob

Bad way to say...all the garbage they pick up on the road that is petroleum based. The manufacturers are very, very,very specific as to the types of lubricants used to prevent degradation. I know this for a fact as some are clients. Keeping them dirt free is important as they will accumulate a greasy sludge like road grime coating that degrades the material. Ok? If you don't believe me spray them with motor oil and they will be toast in no time.

Last edited:
I spray mine with silicone when I change over to winter tires every year. Haven't had to change any yet. Bsides SOMEBODY needs to spend money and support the petroleum industry because they are really hurting:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back