Tiny off grid home built in 2022, for $149,000 in Pierce, Arizona

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
This is what 149,000 might buy for a tiny home in Pierce, AZ. Home was built in 2022.

Home has no well, and no utilities running to it (solar powered). Water is delivered by a truck in bulk. I would be most interested in the insulation of the home, desert gets really cold at night, and in the summer the sun really can heat up a home in the desert.

Fun to look at.........

We all have to choose where we want to live and do so within our means. I am now at the point in my life where I would rather live in the same amount of square feet in multi-tenant building in the city vs something like that.

We all have to choose where we want to live and do so within our means. I am now at the point in my life where I would rather live in the same amount of square feet in multi-tenant building in the city vs something like that.
With us moving, typically cross country an average every 24 months for the past 28 years- we are struggling with writing the next chapter when it comes to where we will live. My Wife is very, very tired of moving and wants to set permanent roots. But dreams and reality don't always align.

The biggest "monkey wrench" for us is the huge rise in real estate values over the past decade. We thought we were in a decent position to buy what we thought would match, but we are finding what we like (we only need a 1500-2000 sq ft home)- are very expensive and/ or hard to come by.

For the record, I posted this home about six months ago- a home like this matches most of our wants well. But, how will we really do not have options such as restaurant choices, etc- that a home like this does not offer so well.

From the listing:
Propane heat with wood stove which needs the vent pipe installed for use.
I'm scratching my head (recognizing you may not need much heat in the desert) why this is an afterthought.

From the listing:

I'm scratching my head (recognizing you may not need much heat in the desert) why this is an afterthought.
Heat is very needed in many deserts. Sand does not retain heat, and often no cloud cover, often equate to frigid nights.

On the other hand, built out deserts, especially with a large density of blacktop roads, retain heat at night much better than undeveloped desert regions. And example, Phoenix can retain some heat at night because of all the roads and buildings, in ways an open desert is unable to.

With us moving, typically cross country an average every 24 months for the past 28 years- we are struggling with writing the next chapter when it comes to where we will live. My Wife is very, very tired of moving and wants to set permanent roots. But dreams and reality don't always align.

The biggest "monkey wrench" for us is the huge rise in real estate values over the past decade. We thought we were in a decent position to buy what we thought would match, but we are finding what we like (we only need a 1500-2000 sq ft home)- are very expensive and/ or hard to come by.

For the record, I posted this home about six months ago- a home like this matches most of our wants well. But, how will we really do not have options such as restaurant choices, etc- that a home like this does not offer so well.

GON, I hear your concern and feel your pain. I dont think that you are at this same financial level, but the reasoning that you cite coupled with another variable that many people who are at retirement age, and with no savings to speak of, are the reason that the tiny home communities are gaining in numbers an popularity.

Today I also spoke with a friend who lives on a private airpark 45 miles outside our major metro area. Large residential developments are going up all around him. He as well as his airpark neighbors are fearful of the day that the taxes on the common community property that they all share will exceed the practical level of their annual budgets and they will be forced to sell out to developers who will subdivide the ground and put up even more houses at inflated prices.

• Helpful
Reactions: GON
4400 ft. elevation. Desert does not mean hot, it means lack of moisture.

You guys need to expand your horizons and open mindedness.

What is right for you doesn't mean right for the other guy.

It would cost 2 or 3 times as much just to built it around here.

And there are many like it nearby.

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind a place like this as a second home. Its not far enough off the grid nor does it have enough land for my wants however. I can see it being appealing as a weekend place for someone living in the city that would be uncomfortable being too far from civilization.

GON, I hear your concern and feel your pain. I dont think that you are at this same financial level, but the reasoning that you cite coupled with another variable that many people who are at retirement age, and with no savings to speak of, are the reason that the tiny home communities are gaining in numbers an popularity.

Today I also spoke with a friend who lives on a private airpark 45 miles outside our major metro area. Large residential developments are going up all around him. He as well as his airpark neighbors are fearful of the day that the taxes on the common community property that they all share will exceed the practical level of their annual budgets and they will be forced to sell out to developers who will subdivide the ground and put up even more houses at inflated prices.
WT,

Thanks for the reply. You bring up a great issue/ concern- does one need to perform an estimate on what the cost of living will be for an area 20 years out, when looking at a permanent retirement home.

Thanks again!

For something like this in the desert you need a huge thermal mass to soak up the heat when the sun is up then release it back to the house when it goes down. A prefab off grid is not going to cut it. And did you mention no water source?

So I guess there's no job around either. Why would you want to live there again?

Between this and a small house in rural Mexico I'd pick a fully functional house in rural Mexico.

Things to know about Arizona:
Land is expensive. These 1 acre lots in the middle of nowhere with nothing are $5k and up.
Hauling water is common for rural properties.
It will be 29f tonight where this property is located.
Lots of people want to live way out and not be bothered. Many move here from other places to do it. Look at the satellite view of the area.

Nothing is surprising or unusual about the property if you live here.

Can't believe what GON looks at.🫣

WT,

Thanks for the reply. You bring up a great issue/ concern- does one need to perform an estimate on what the cost of living will be for an area 20 years out, when looking at a permanent retirement home.

Thanks again!
Laws can always be changed, but its definitely an incentive to live in a state with a property tax increase cap - if your planning on living in the same place for a long time.

• Helpful
Was gonna say...400sqft "family" home.
Family of what!?
Rodents?

We had a 700sqft home for years, and it was a tight squeeze, but we managed, family of four. But we much prefer 1,900 now. :)

Land is expensive. These 1 acre lots in the middle of nowhere with nothing are $5k and up.
Is that buildable land? been a while since I looked, but locally I would have guessed anything at that price was unusable. Regional differences I know.

Back