Tinkering around today with my Cold Air Intake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Looks good.

Interesting to see before/after 1/4 mile runs with intake/CAI.

Looks nice! Not to bash but I doubt it will give you any difference in power but all that matters is that you like it.

+1 - doubt you will notice a difference.

My maint of cold air intake is checking for mouse nests every few months.

I'd love to see a UOA with the OEM air filtering system, then one with the aftermarket system you installed. I'd use that to decide which system is actually better for the engine.

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
Here's a test these guys did with before and after dyno testing. That should answer some questions.,,,, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCi2yo4UqPI
nice

I agree with Jarvis though, OEM engineer are clueless, and the average joe modding cars(Einstein IQ levels generally) know how to properly set up the cars for the better.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
On my dart I removed the resonators on the air filter system but left the stock system and verified air temps weren't affected. So it sounds like a Cai but actually still filters
smile.gif

This is the best move and exactly what I did on my Expedition and the Mustang before it. They were the only restrictions in the OEM system.

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
Here's a test these guys did with before and after dyno testing. That should answer some questions.,,,, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCi2yo4UqPI
nice

I agree with Jarvis though, OEM engineer are clueless, and the average joe modding cars(Einstein IQ levels generally) know how to properly set up the cars for the better.

LAWL!!!
grin.gif

Leave what it came with. There's not enough noisy in the world? Engineers have worked for years to reduce noisy because it is fatiguing. Get a screwdriver and hammer and punched some holes in the muffler while you are at it.

Gumby--

Enjoy the car, and enjoy your work. People have a lot of opinions and experience. You haven't endangered anyone, and it's a good experiment. I've played with mods a lot too - the guy that actually tries things is the source of new information. Enjoy your work.

-M

Looks good! While I agree that you probably won't see much, if anything, along the lines of real power gains, if it makes you feel better having it on there, and you had a good time putting it all on, then that's what matters.

If anything, it certainly LOOKS much better than OEM.

Enjoy your intake!

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Engineers have worked for years to reduce noisy because it is fatiguing. Get a screwdriver and hammer and punched some holes in the muffler while you are at it.
LOLOL

Speaking of "cold air intake" I'm curious how proportional water/methanol injection would help down here when we're baking in fajita flats. The sled gets slow when it's > 105°F in the shade & the asphalt is ~ 140°F. Dropping the inlet air temp via evaportation sounds like a good idea....

Originally Posted By: GumbyJarvis
Originally Posted By: dodge dart forum
This is technically a short ram intake, though lots of people seem to blur the line between the two on marketing... Anyways it's not sucking in hot air (entirely) what you can't see is below the air filter, this is where the stock intake sucks in air from the fender, so it's still ramming air in that same passage as you are moving. Also keep in mind this is the only kit with a heat shield, that rubber seal butts up against the roof of the hood preventing a lot of heat and not air from entering. It's amazing just putting your hand on either side of the shield you can feel a major difference in temperature

Ohh. And fwiw. These dont have a MAF

Ok, but how do your fuel trims looks with the CAI? I don't have any experience with CAI effects on speed-density fueling.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
Speaking of "cold air intake" I'm curious how proportional water/methanol injection would help down here when we're baking in fajita flats. The sled gets slow when it's > 105°F in the shade & the asphalt is ~ 140°F. Dropping the inlet air temp via evaportation sounds like a good idea....

It would probably net some ok results, but would require a tune, especially if the injection effect isn't taken into account via any sensors (intake air temp,) right?

These controlled systems are so expensive, it would hardly be worth it.

These used to be used a lot on vehicles coming off of the ban of leaded fuels that still had very high compression ratios. Was cheap to do with carb engines, but the ones for EFI use expensive controls and pumps

I used to use Edelbrock's rudimentary system in the 70's. It was very effective on high compression engines with antiquated head designs, like my Pontiacs. Cheap, too. But it required constant tweaking to work perfectly. We ran a mix of 3-1 water and alcohol.

And you really have to be careful tuning a car to the ragged edge with one today, as it eventually runs out of water and very few systems will automatically tell you or adjust the tune when you do...

Read up on some Turbo motors that used these, on a Volvo site. They have indeed come a long way. Definitely not 70's design.
Making Power w/ Water/Methanol Injection
AEM Injection
Snow Injection Systems

On a much simplier scale, I toyed with the idea of simply periodically spraying water onto the intercooler on my SAAB 900T a few decades ago, using a simple pump, timer, and a nozzle from a drip irrigation system. Here the liquid would simply be 100% water.

Very interesting application.

Do some research on application methods. There was a guy who did a big study on this back in the 90's and found that intercooler heat loaf much worse after a boost event than during. He had setup that incrementally increased flow according to intercooler temp.

Read up on some Turbo motors that used these, on a Volvo site. They have indeed come a long way. Definitely not 70's design.

Nope, much more expensive too.

But no substantive differences, only details. The old Edelbrock system monitored vacuum with its own sensor, had a fully variable pump and a selection of orifices and holders to position the jet over your carb. It would never inject water under a certain RPM, but was fully load sensing through the vacuum line. And it had two different adjustments for RPM and vacuum response that were infinitely variable as well.

Snow's kits are beautiful, but the actual tech is hardly different at all, just refined...

Last edited:
The only think I didn't like about the Spectre is that the filter is colored. Mine is red so I can't tell when oiling it how much I'm putting on it. The red K&N oil I use is the same color as the filter. At least the K&N filters are white and you clearly see the amount of oil you're applying. But the Spectre is an equivalent or better product for a lot less money. I put one on my Sierra Denali for the 4bbl sucking sound I love. I probably cost me a few HP but with over 400hp anyway it is not missed lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back