Ting came out with new phone plans. Cheaper and better than before?

They say you can stick with your current plan or switch to one of these new ones. Currently I'm paying $12 for 2 lines + $3 for each 100 min. talk + $3 for each 100 texts + $3 for each 100MB data. Average bill is $38 with taxes and fees. Looks like the cheapest new plan would cost me $25 plus taxes and fees and give more service. I can't imagine using more than 1GB data except the few times I'm away from home. Does this look like a better deal?

sounds like you would be even better served with redpocket. or another service.
ditch the home phone too?

+1 on Red Pocket.
One of Red Pocket's better plans for people who don't live on their phones is $99/yr (plus sales tax but no other fees), that's $8.25/mo per line for 1000 min talk, unlimited text, 1GB data, a free sim, and your choice of networks... AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, or T-Mobile.

$25 for for 2 lines and unlimited talk and text seems to be as cheap as I've seen. Home phone is part of my Verizon FIOS so I wouldn't save much. Plus landline quality and ease of use is way better than cell.

It all depends on what model phone one has. My wife and I have Galaxy S5s (Sprint versions), and they are not able to be used under the new plans despite our already being Ting customers.

They are going over to VoLTE - Voice over Long Term Evolution, and the phone must support the VoLTE format. Hence, as part of the switch/transition/whatever, they send subscribers new SIM cards.

Some Galaxy 5 phones support this, others do not, and it was carrier dependent. S5s peddled by T-Mobile supports VoLTE, but S5s peddled by Sprint do not. Apparently VoLTE became a standard feature beginning with the Galaxy S8s.

Yes, if you have an "older" phone, you can stick with the $6/line plus usage plan. I did not see anything to indicate that they are going to drop their $6/line + usage plan for existing customers.

Just as an FYI, our Ting bill is typically under $35/month, less than half of what we were paying Sprint. Made the switch from Sprint in 2015 after purchasing an S5 outright. We aren't really heavy cell phone users.

Yes, if you have an "older" phone, you can stick with the $6/line plus usage plan. I did not see anything to indicate that they are going to drop their $6/line + usage plan for existing customers.

Just as an FYI, our Ting bill is typically under $35/month, less than half of what we were paying Sprint. Made the switch from Sprint in 2015 after purchasing an S5 outright. We aren't really heavy cell phone users.
So isn't the change to a new rate plan just that? Or are you saying they are adding a new network system that won't work with some phones that work on the current plan system? How did you find out your phone won't work?

The best way I would describe it is they are adding capability to their "network". Remember, Ting a reseller of the T-Mobile & former Srpint networks.

I found out by reading various pages on the Ting site (that's where I found out they are adding/utilizing the VoLTE format, then googling Galaxy S5 and VoLTE. I later added Sprint to the search query. One of the websites gave instructions on how to activate VoLTE on an android device, and that's when I found out my phone does not have that capability.

That is why one has to "apply" (for lack of a better word) to Ting to see if your devices are compatible with the new features.

Think of it as VOiP for cell phones.

redpocket is usually 1000min unlimited text 1gb fast data unlimited slow data for about 10$/month. they also have yearly plans with discounts.
ie $99/yr IIRC.

you can pick which of the major networks you want to be on.. and you dont get data anxiety or worry about hitting the next bucket of usage 1 day before bill is finalized.
ie 101min or 1.1GB etc.

If I was doing that.. I could then stack this with 12% off on an ebay gift card thats available locally.

Last edited:
also a very light user + red pocket looks good + e-bay red pocket yearly plans are best IF they have sims left for your network + price point

Ting told me my s4 mini would no longer be supported.

I could not get trac fone to unlock a phone ting said would be supported. And which i ordered a new sim and activated it. a...meaning no phone since.

Still waiting for fedex to deliver a new.phone and sim for which i paid extra for two day shipping. Now day 4. It's in a sorting center 7 miles away. Been there for 14 hours. Fedex truck just drove by.
Very annoyed.

Guess i get another 24 hours to decide to stay on same plan , or get new. My bill usually 25$

Why not? Only the rate structure is changing, not the network.
ATT (Cricket) dumped my perfectly fine OnePlus 5 because (they said) my phone no longer "operated" on their network. (Apparently happened to many people.)

I didn't want to give-up my phone so I tried Mint (T-Mobil) and well... great in price and concept, but terrible performance and connectivity.

Ironically enough, my "old" Oneplus phone was actually showing VoLTE on their network... Thanks ATT!! 😤

Back