Timken Rear Wheel Bearing - Any Good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've been chasing a groan/whine in my Tacoma since late fall, early winter. Been scratching my head as to what it could be and even had bought a front wheel bearing thinking the drivers side was bad (it wasn't). Finally decided to stop by the shop and he determined my drivers rear wheel bearing is going out. Makes sense as it is starting to leak gear oil as well (even if it isn't bad, it will not pass inspection and while it's tore apart you might as well replace the bearing anyways). The guy is letting me get my own bearing and seal. Rock Auto has a Timken assembly for a decent price. Thing is I have never had to replace something like this and am kind of out of the loop as far as brands. Are Timken assemblies worth anything anymore? We use their seals at work and seem to be ok. I know Moog has gone downhill so those are out.

Timken and SKF are good name brands
smile.gif

SKF seems to be the new go-to wheel bearing brand these days. Timken used to be the safe choice but with so many parts being made around the world, times have certainly changed haven't they?

Timken makes their own tapered roller bearings in the US and France. For sealed wheel hubs they tend to be hit or miss. The Toyota ones I've seen were reboxed Koyo or NTN.

On a live axle Tundra, the bearing is a roller or ball bearing that's pressed onto the axle shaft or diff housing/axle tube.

Originally Posted by nthach
Timken makes their own tapered roller bearings in the US and France. For sealed wheel hubs they tend to be hit or miss. The Toyota ones I've seen were reboxed Koyo or NTN.

On a live axle Tundra, the bearing is a roller or ball bearing that's pressed onto the axle shaft or diff housing/axle tube.

That's what I've been reading as well. I'm thinking to go ahead and order the Timkin assembly. If it doesn't look to par I'll return it, can't get into the shop until the 11th so I have a little time.

Thanks for all the replies so far!

The last Timken's I bought for my Acura with 243k were made in South Korea. I would have paid a few more bucks for SKF's, but S. Korea does actually make some good stuff. Would rather support American workers and companies.

Bought SKF's for the Subi a few years ago, they are U.S.A.!

I've also heard bad things about Chicom Timken products. Much like Moog, they were once a good name. Not so much now.

I bought a Timken bearing for either my truck or her car that was US made though. No complaints.

Nowadays, SKF would be my go to.

As much as I hate to I'm going to chance it. I have a little extra time incase it's absolute garbage. I did pick up all the other associated parts (seal, o-ring, retainer, and new C-clip) at the dealer and the prices on those items were well in line with what is listed online, that and I know they're genuine. I did price a bearing assembly; $495. Took all I could not to laugh. Some things they're good on, some not.

I recently bought a Timken rear hub/bearing for my daughter's Civic. It was Made in Japan. It was $80 vs. ~$50 for the Chinese brands. I figured it was worth the extra cost.

Got the assembly in today and the bearing is indeed a Koyo, so I guess I lucked out. The rest of the unit seems well made. About 1/2 the cost of auto parts stores and 1/4 the Toyota dealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back