timing belt on 14 yr old engine ?would u change it

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Dodge Colt has only 30,000 miles on it. The car was made in 1994, so it has been run for 14 years on the same timing belt.
A lady was driving it, mainly in the city, but with an occasional highway run to "blow the carbon out of the carburator" (even though it's fuel injected, lol) Is the belt still good for another 14 years, or is it time to change it? Also, would you change anything else at the same time, or do any other maintenance like valve clearances? She probably changed the oil once a year, or every 2500miles, so the engine runs perfect. Even though she thought it was due for a tune up, the plugs fire and engine starts on the first crank perfectly. the engine is completely noiseless. the other maintenance i'm thinking of is new rotors and pads for the front discs, some good rubber, and spray paint some new steel wheels with Duplicolor anodized finish rattle can product.

i would definitely change the belt. it could be dry-rotted. also check the water pump, timing belt tensioner, timing, and valve clearance. it sounds like a lot of work but chances are with that kind of mileage all you will have to do is replace the belt. everything else SHOULD be okay but i would check for sure.

I would change the timing belt but I am not sure if time is a big factor or just mileage? I would also change coolant, thermostat, brake fluid and tranny fluid but you could do all this in time...probably not a big rush.

I would leave it and do it when the Manuel says to do it with mileage.

Since she was timely about he OCI's it should be good. As long as it is a CHAIN and not a BELT.

Rubber deteriorates over time. At 14 years, I would go through and replace all the important rubber parts. In the last year, I rebuilt or replaced the calipers, the wheel cylinders, the master cylinder, and the brake and clutch hoses on my 77 truck. It has a timing chain. None of them was showing any signs of deterioration and it wasn't the first time for anything but the MC.

If it is a belt and an interference engine, and you plan to drive it a while, go with a new belt.

Change the belt ASAP before you bend valves... Then drive the living snot out of it, replacing whatever you need along the way. These engines are excellent and you can't kill 'em as long as they are shown a little TLC once and a while!
wink.gif

My dad owned one...

Also, these Mitsubishi motors are notorious for smoking after a while. May want to flush the engine or use some HM oil to clean things up a bit...

Change it now along with the water pump plus any associated hardware and belts. You are driving on borrowed time.

o.k. just ordered the belt with tensioner. won't drive it anywhere until i get it changed. i'm also getting the clutch replaced, along with installing a block heater and an inline heater. and change the coolant at the same time- i plan on always warming it up for an hour each morning before starting in a.m.
and so
is a "bargain brand" belt just as good as a "name brand" belt?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RTexasF
Change it now along with the water pump plus any associated hardware and belts. You are driving on borrowed time.

I wouldn't change the water pump. These water pumps are built well and usually last the life of the vehicle. They also warn you well in advance before seizing... I wouldn't be surprised if you scrap the car with the original water pump like my dad did!
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC

I wouldn't change the water pump. These water pumps are built well and usually last the life of the vehicle. They also warn you well in advance before seizing... I wouldn't be surprised if you scrap the car with the original water pump like my dad did!
wink.gif

But the water pump is less than $50 and easy to install when replacing timing belt and hundreds of dollars if it needs to be replaced on its own.

Originally Posted By: scoobie
is a "bargain brand" belt just as good as a "name brand" belt?

I will prefer Gates belts. A little more money but worth it.

FWIW, I would change all fluids, engine, cooling, brakes, p/s, trans, diff. I would probably change out the tires and accessory belts & closely inspect the cooling system hoses. Make sure you lube the chassis & driveline. When bleeding the brakes inspect the calipers as well.

Last edited:
Got to wonder how much corrosion is in that system, $50 is cheap for a water pump.
I would have one lined up at the auto parts, and depending on how it looks, I would change it.

Yeah, I was going to mention that too. You get it apart, change everything while you are in there.

Originally Posted By: odessit
Also, these Mitsubishi motors are notorious for smoking after a while. May want to flush the engine or use some HM oil to clean things up a bit...

Exactly, although otherwise bulletproof. From personal experience with Mitsubishi engines over the course of the past 11 years, I recommend you change the timing belt, water pump and tensioner all in the one go. I personally replace the water pump every second timing belt change as cheap insurance. Replace the spark plugs, valve cover gaskets, PCV valve and serpentine belts as well whilst you're at it.

I would also advise you flush out the old coolant using distilled water, and refill with Motorcraft Premium Green Coolant, or Mitsubishi Pre-Mixed coolant if you can find it. The Pre-Mixed is a better choice. Whilst doing this, replace the radiator hoses, thermostat and radiator cap. Then you're ready to go, this engine will last you a long time with regular maintenance.

Also, do an Auto-Rx treatment or two to avoid the nasty problem with VSS. Or switch to a quality HM oil, as previously noted. But do not use an engine flush on this engine. From experience, engine flushes make the VSS problems worse on Mitsubishi engines.

As others have noted, don't forget the brake fluid, ATF, power steering fluid, etc.
55.gif

If an interference engine CHANGE IT, do not take the risk. If not an interference engine the worst that can happen is that you will be stranded so if that is okay with you let it go. Age is a factor after 6 years IMO

I had a 92 mitsu mirage with total 133k miles before selling. timing belt was changed in 10/97 at 61k miles. I sold it in 1/07 with over 70k miles on that belt and almost ten years old.

Just had my wife's '96 Toy Rav4 belt let go at 103k miles. The old belt was dry rotted, and gave out by stripping teeth on it. It had given us some warning by making noise. Non-interference engine, so the only extra cost was towing.

I bought an Autozone water pump to replace at the same time. When I checked the original Japaneese pump, I couldn't help but notice it turned freely, made no noise, and the shaft had no play. I decided the original pump would probably outlast the new Chineese replacement, so I left it in.

Change out the belt, and change out the pump only if you can get a quality replacement.

Also, my name brand belt kit from Amazon was 1/2 the price that Autozone wanted for the same item.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back