Time vs. distance

LDB

I just got a 2022 Ford Escape SE 1.5L turbo 3cyl. I work from home. I live in a suburb where most things are less than a 5 mile round trip from home. The engine warms up for the temp gauge to point in the center, but barely and not for long. I consider my use to fall in the severe service category due to short trips.

If I changed the oil every 10k miles like the manual says it would be on every fourth anniversary of my car. So obviously I should change based on time. But what is the proper amount of time given this usage? I don't want to go too long and degrade the oil beyond an acceptable amount but I don't want to change every X months if it is legitimately good for 1.Y(X) months.

I should add my hero is the tortoise not the hare so I am very light on the throttle and other than the VERY rare instance I don't see the north side of 3000 rpm. So, those more knowledgeable in such things, meaning 99.x% of those here, what is an appropriate time interval to get full service from oil without overextending? And is there a particular oil that does better under these usage conditions? Thanks in advance for input.

Every six months if it truly does not get a 30-40 mile drive a couple times a month.
Thanks for the input. No, it will get a 60 or so mile round trip maybe 3-4 times a year. If things ever get back to semi-normal and I can meet family for lunch and a visit then it will be a 9x mile round trip about once every 6-7 weeks plus the few others.

I just looked up the OM.

Basically, it says follow the OLM. I think it'd be fine if you did just that.
I guess that's technology working for us, and maybe (probably?) better than what we can do on our own, but it was a lot more comforting when there was an easy to read chart, one chart, in the manual that said every xx time interval or every yy mileage interval do A,B,C.

I would change it once a year with M1 Euro 0-40 and a good filter. You'll probably need to reset the OLM light during the year as they still use "time" as one of the calc values.

Based on what you are comfortable with, if you are good with 1 per year then do it, if not then every 6 months.

You probably need to worry about the transmission fluid in the Ford than the engine oil.

My feeling is with Fuel dilution and DI you would likely be wise to find out what an issue that is with you cars engine. Something I'll be paying attention to in the first few OCI with the new Mazda.

I just got a 2022 Ford Escape SE 1.5L turbo 3cyl. I work from home. I live in a suburb where most things are less than a 5 mile round trip from home. The engine warms up for the temp gauge to point in the center, but barely and not for long. I consider my use to fall in the severe service category due to short trips.

If I changed the oil every 10k miles like the manual says it would be on every fourth anniversary of my car. So obviously I should change based on time. But what is the proper amount of time given this usage? I don't want to go too long and degrade the oil beyond an acceptable amount but I don't want to change every X months if it is legitimately good for 1.Y(X) months.

I should add my hero is the tortoise not the hare so I am very light on the throttle and other than the VERY rare instance I don't see the north side of 3000 rpm. So, those more knowledgeable in such things, meaning 99.x% of those here, what is an appropriate time interval to get full service from oil without overextending? And is there a particular oil that does better under these usage conditions? Thanks in advance for input.
I'd be surprised if the vehicle didn't have some sort of condition based service where time would be a factor when it came to counting down the oil change indicator. Some automakers go by 1 yr or X miles whichever occurs first.

Same boat as OP with my Lucerne, about 2.5/3k a year and do annual changers, OLM is always in the low 3x%. Sierra is even less but keep it annual, just makes it easy to change the oil every April.

given your location, personally I would probably go a full year, but I would once a month minimum, I would give it some full throttle and run it a little longer. You know, take the LOOONG way home.

I just bought the car last week. Not sure when it was reset.
Two possibilities: 1) Started at 100% at the factory, or 2) Reset at the dealership.

What's the OLM say right now?

The actual build date (not the Month/Year) is coded in the VIN lable on the door jamb if you know where to look and de-code.

Back