Time Verses Mileage On Oil Filters........

I had some Toyota filters from 2007 I just used on my T100. The filter was on the engine for 3 1/2 years, prefilled with oil but the engine didn’t run during that time. When I started the engine with no extra fussing, it took just a second or so longer for the oil light to go off. Like a normal oil change start.
You did an oil and filter change but didn't start and run the engine for 3-1/2 years?

A few weeks ago I replace the oil filter on my wife's car, that's been in use for 2 oil changes. It didn't look any worse for wear than when I used single use filters. It's a cartridge type filter. It was no harder the usual to replace. Always been a bit quirky to get off anyway. I replaced it with a 15k mile filter that will see at least 2 changes. I like just dumping oil without messing with the filter so much, I bought an extended use filter for my Exployer. I have to say I haven't noticed any different sound, or way the engines run when using the filter more than on change. Both cars get once a year changes, around 5-6 on the oil.,,,,

Does leaving a oil filter on for 2-3 years though make it harder to remove?

Only if it gets rusted.

The main contact point is still the gasket regardless of time.

My filters are all protected so I'm lucky (Id say or picked vehicles that were ).

You did an oil and filter change but didn't start and run the engine for 3-1/2 years?
No, I prefilled the 2007 Toyota filter and installed it after draining the old oil out of the engine. Then I lightly put back the oil pan bolt. Then 3 1/2 years passed, without running of course, no oil in the engine. I put 10w-40 QS in I got for $8, it is supposed to take more than 5 qts but I put in just 5. Ran it about 20 miles then changed it again. Now it is running, with PP 5w-30 and ST filter 3614.
I hadn’t checked the tires either for the 3 1/2 years. I did a few weeks ago. The fronts were at 24, so I put them to 30. I haven’t gotten around to checking the rear tires yet.

Back