Time to move on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive decided after my short stint here and after reading about the many problems with mobil 1 or synthetics(valve clattering ) ive decided to go back to regualr old dino oil for 7500 miles intervals. I dont see benifits of synthetic and have run over 500,000 miles on dino on a few cars.
I think the cost of synthetic is not worth the benefits.
Great site,I like the sites Used oil anlaysis and virgin oil analysis , i dont understand the results but the other members usually interpet it well.

For the most part the only thing I have learned about is personel experiences for the most part.
But there is only so much oil changes can do.All my engines have sludge, so im not concerned with a dirty engine.
So im going to focus on learning about other things beside oil and maybe actually how to fix things that break, besides the Preventive maintincence aspect of automotives.

I may come back from time to time about certain subjects I may need help with.But, there is so much more to learn.

Great site with a wealth of info.
You guys have a good year.

[ January 05, 2004, 07:52 AM: Message edited by: goodoleboy ]

Well synthetic oil isn't the perfect answer for everyone. But if you have sludge-that's not a good thing. And preventive measures are always better than havbing to fix things. Sludge is really not a normal thing.

It still might be worth your time to do an analysis. The sludge could be a result of coolant or oil breakdown due to other reasons.

But whatever you decide-come back and visit
smile.gif

I've heard the bad things about Mobil 1 also, and i still made the switch after i was convinced dino oil was good enough in all cases. I have a Jeep GC with the 4.0 liter and 110k. I have no leaks and no valve clutter. My mileage actually went up from 15-19 mpg on 3 tanks so far. I want it mainly for the extended drains in winter and the cold start properties for sub zero starts.

quote:

I've decided to go back to regular old dino oil for 7500 miles intervals...

And that, my fellow motorist, is WHY you have sludge...!

To each his own; synthetic IS! expensive, and modern conventional oils are VERY good for the most part. But change it a little more often...!

There's lots of members here that use dino oil...and there are lots of good dino oils to use. One thing you should NEVER do in ANY car with dino oil is run it for 7500 miles. That is just plain stupid...but hey, it's your engine, if you want to f*** it up that's up to you...

quote:

Originally posted by ZmOz:
There's lots of members here that use dino oil...and there are lots of good dino oils to use. One thing you should NEVER do in ANY car with dino oil is run it for 7500 miles. That is just plain stupid...but hey, it's your engine, if you want to f*** it up that's up to you...

My oil is Dino oil.
Not all oils, even SYN's are created equal.
Some Dinos, do normally go 10-15K between drains as a standard drain for a properly running car, with UOA's naturally.

Greg H,
My father being a Chemical engineer for Shell for 30 years has always followed 7500k interval changes as long as the manufactuer recommeded it. He sometimes went longer.Engines both he and I have owned have exceed 500,000 also had dirty film some consider "sludge".
Regarding support,
I have learned alot but read a post with a uoa with 9500 mile change on dino with excellent results.
Im sorry, but lubrication is only one of many parts in machine.

Goodoleboy: I really think it's fine for you to make your own conclusions after considering what you have learned here. I've been in a learning process for a good long while and I intend to keep on learning. We've seen some of the 'Dinos' producing some fine UOAs here. I'm not the expert on them but we have access to the smart guys. I have no doubt that with the proper OCIs and other maintenance you can have your vehicle give you a long service life on a good mineral oil. However, I do agree that you need to take the sludge seriously and take steps to deal with it.

goodoleboy,
If you look closely you will se very few posts of 7500 mile changes using dino. You will see that good dino oil can be good for 4 or 5000 miles but you are stretching it greatly going 7500 miles. You perhaps haven't learned as much as you thought. Not meant to be mean but you and I have learned opposite things on this site one of us is wrong. It could be me but I cannot find the UAO's to support your postion.
Just trying to be helpful!
GregH

quote:

Originally posted by goodoleboy:
ive decided to go back to regualr old dino oil for 7500 miles intervals. I dont see benifits of synthetic and have run over 500,000 miles on dino on a few cars.
I think the cost of synthetic is not worth the benefits.

My car is 5 years old today, used Dino oil all along, and never had problems with sludge, volatization, cooking off, low oil pressure, engine wear, etc. that the Syn Oil advertisements claim I would have.

Keep on using Dino Oil. It is good for your engine. But I suggest you change it at 3,000 miles.

I have a friend who owns a Toyota Corolla that has 330,000 miles on it, and it has never been serviced apart from oil and filter changes and maybe spark plugs every 1/2 decade or so. It's never had anything but the cheapest Dino Oil available at the moment.

you know this website isnt all about synthetic. theres lota of mineral oil users here, like myself. i cant justify the cost of a synthetic without oil analisis, but then the oil analisis brings the cost up.

i run pennzoil long life 15w40. a pennzoil guy i talked to said long life 15w40 and 10w40 with purebase and pennzstar is such a highly refined oil it is almost a synthetic. and this is at a 1.50 a quart mind you.

i think prbably alot of the confusion comes from the precieved notion that a synthetic oil is soooo much better than a dino oil. well yeah perhaps in racing or somthing, but in a standard passenger car?
we have people here like patman who just about run nothing but synthetic oils, (which is perfectly fine mind you) and then go on to say that they have never seen a engine failure caused by the oil? how does that make sence again?
and then there is people who swear they can "feel the difference" between a synthetic and a dino. how is that even possible?
i was never able to feel any difference in how my engine operated when switching brands of oil, from 20w50 to 5w30, group4 to group1 and all inbetween.
so i see too much confusion, i guess like yourself. i figured i might as well run the best cheap dino oil i can find for my engine because alot of what i hear about a synthetic doesnt make sence to me. for my application, pennzoil 15w40 seems to work just as good as any other oil. i get **** near group3, for group 2 price.

goodoleboy,
Glad you took my post as intended. Still you miss my point. There is no evidence that I have seen showing the average dino good for 7500 miles. Robbie mentioned something about oils good for 9k. Anyway, I still see no UAO's showing dino's are good for 7500. Do what you will and you seem to have convinced yourself quite handily. MOst other posters don't seem to have learned what you have.
YOu are right that lube is only one part of the machine but it IS the most important!ALso remember your Dad probably owned cars not stressing the oil as are todays machines, especially OHC high specific output engines.
Still trying to be helpful, not antagonistic.
GregH

[ January 06, 2004, 09:05 AM: Message edited by: GregH ]

Greg H,
Any antagonism sensed would be coming from you. You stated
"There is no evidence that I have seen showing the average dino good for 7500 miles. Robbie mentioned something about oils good for 9k. Anyway, I still see no UAO's showing dino's are good for 7500"

I have yet to see one any uoa with dinos that are not sufficent most are 3-5k they seem fine to me and the poster who are "quite amazed or impressed" with the UOA. I have yet to see a bad UOA of an oil any oil going 7500 miles of highway driving on chevron.What i plan on doing with the oil as i have intended. Yes, SOMEONE posted a 9000 mile UOA w/ dino castrol on a honda crv with actually excellent results.Much more than just a "mere mention"

Again you wrote;
"It could be me but I cannot find the UAO's to support your postion."
Greg, i cant find any bad UOA to not support my posistion for my type of driving. But i can find good UOA to support my posistion Example the CRV w/ 9500 miles, I happen to have the same engine.

I.E. you wrote "MOst other posters don't seem to have learned what you have."
Thank you , sometimes you have to look in between the lines , not actually listen to the bandwagon to learn something.

[ January 07, 2004, 01:16 AM: Message edited by: goodoleboy ]

Well, like I said before, it's your engine, feel free to make it last as long or as short as you want.
wink.gif

goodoleboy,
My last response but still not meant to be mean spirited. You have convinced yourself quite handily. Just because you feel you must be different does not mean your direction is a good one. When the vast majority of poster disagree with an opinion, it would seem the individual must look at this and wonder, can I be the only one that sees the truth or could I be seeing what I want to see?
Good luck and you will probably have no engine issues, I for one am just a little more cautious with my hard earned vehicles.
Later
Greg HArrison

With no intent to further allow this thread to digress (but doing it none the less
grin.gif
)....

goodolboy is somewhat correct. Those who use dyno (or synth for that matter) appear to be, IMHO, Chickenlittle. That is, they appear to follow the AGES old dogma of 3m/3k and ignore a mulitude of input to steer them away from this routine. The majority of UAO on this site are usually within 3-5k ..and most are good. We tend to stand there and say "See ..I told you that you shouldn't have gone that far!!!" for the oddball bad UAO ..and tend to ignore the fact that there are probably 10 times as many that haven't even a clue to where the edge of the envelope is. We often cite the pleceboe effect ...but never even consider that it works both ways ...that is, pehaps SOME see an enemy ..where none exists.

That is, I've yet to see a dyno UAO that is anymore stressed then a synth UAO (in general or with factors that could be attributed to non-synth/dyno specifics).

Now I never get in the way of any man (or woman) parting with their money. I spend a great deal of attention to lubrication (read $$$$)...but it's with a goal ...to make it "care and worry free". To some (apology disclaimer
wink.gif
) one has to wonder if they just like the feel of the stuff on a regular basis
shocked.gif
and enjoy the "mechanic's manicure"
grin.gif
(Which I assert is every American's GOD GIVEN RIGHT to enjoy if they so desire
grin.gif
)

So ..is goodolboy wrong? I doubt anyone here truly knows. They "believe" he's wrong (visions of the poster on Fox Mulder's wall in the "X-Files" "I want to believe") ..but, if asked, I doubt that many could "prove" it.

Gary,
Once again the majority of UAO's don't support the 7500 change. These are closer to fact than any of our suppositions. There are some, a few that show good numbers. I agree that most of us are scared of truly extended intervals. I am one of the chickens. I don't like to spend extra money either. Just seems the preponderence of data fails to make me fell warm and fuzzy on this subject. Goodoleboy can do as he pleases. I am not saying he is an idiot or any such nonsense. This is just a good discussion and I am trying to see his point and yours too. My point is only that most UAO's show dino oil to shear and such after less than 5000 miles usually,thus perhaps showing a trend. I know not always, but often enough to make me a doubter. But I feel safer using , in my case Schaeffers 7000 series. Just my 2 cents adjusted for inflation!
gFH
GFH

GregH,I dont feel i need to be different i feel i need to be sensible
I think you need to look at the facts instead of public opinion of the board. You have continued without proof (ONLY OPINION) to say im doing incorrect practices of 7500 mle OCI, when i hold facts to support 7500 OCI are in fact ok.
To me it seems you just want ot right on this.To me 60% of the board switch back to dino becuase of oil leaks, noise clatter. (and I thought Synthetic would cure all Ails?)
Greg im looking at facts here,And the majority says(tacitly) that synthetic oil did not keep my seals from leaking. Ive offered you a chance to bring to the table (facts not opinions) of how 7500 OCI are bad. You have yet to show me anything.
Im not going to use synthetic oil to keep an engine ill never see the inside (clean) just so my mechanic can pat me on my back.
Like I said, id rather learn how to fix problems, not just change oil for the heck of it.

What I don't understand is that you worry about a little valve clatter but don't care about sludge buildup? This makes no sense to me at all. But personally don't care if you run re-refined oil and never ever change it. It's the thought process that bothers me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back