Time to move on

Status
Not open for further replies.
patriot.gif
: Goodoleboy, I own three vehicles. The owner's manual of each one calls for 7,500 mile oil change intervals for the kind of driving I do. However, I rarely go over 5,000. Also, I haven't seen any 'evidence' here or elsewhere to refute the 7,500 mile change interval. I have asked this question before and it has not been responded to: Did not the makers of my engines have a clue as to what change intervals are needed for my them? The subject of neither synthetic nor mineral oil is mentioned in either of my manuals. They just say to change at 7,500 mile intervals unless my driving falls into other categories. In your case, however, I would address the sludge you mentioned at the top of this subject.

[ January 08, 2004, 11:45 AM: Message edited by: krholm ]

I have a 88 full size chevy 4/4 5.7 (work truck) with 245k on it, I change the oil at 8k to 10k, never hade a problem, and a 89 S-10 4.3 with 275k on it, change oil at 8k to 10k,never hade a problem, use Dino oil, pennzoil 10w 40 and hasting filters, thats proof to me
cheers.gif

goodoleboy,
You have convinced me. I will start 7500 mile oil changes with dino. Makes sense to me after I look back at all the evidence in the UAO's
NOT!!BYE!! We need to move on,if it works for you okay. Didn't really mean to augue just understand the facts. How about a UAO of your 7500 oil change when you get there. That might just be the proof of the pudding.!!
GregH

Why not just base your OCI on driving habits/temperature conditions? 7500 miles is perfectly OK for mostly highway driving in warmer weather; that's why the majority of manufacturers specify that interval now for regular driving. I would not, however, run 7500 miles on dino if I put that 7500 miles on the clock in the timespan of 1 year driving to and from the grocery store just around my house, in northern Michigan in the winter.
dunno.gif

quote:

Once again the majority of UAO's don't support the 7500 change.

I'm not sure about that. I think that you would be more correct if you said: "The multitude of UAO's that have never gone to 7500 because the owners have never waited to get a 7500 oil change, don't warrant a 7500 OCI".
grin.gif

You "may" find one or two (maybe more) 7500 UAOs compared to very many of the 3000-5000 UAOs ... Once again ..no one seems to REALLY know the edge of the envelope. Would it REALLY hurt anyone to do ONE 7500 OCI to see what the UAO showed?

So ..I still assert that most here are working on the "assumption" that the 7500 UAO is BULL and truly most of them have no idea one way or the other.

How many teeth are in a horse's mouth?? Don't know? Count them.

quote:

Originally posted by krholm:
Did not the makers of my engines have a clue as to what change intervals are needed for my them?

No, they probably didn't. Didn't you see the thread a little while ago "how do manufacturers set oil change intervals"? Fist of all, they use a standard number like 5000 for severe or 7500 for "normal" driving because that's what everybody else uses. They look at the minimum number of oil changes needed to get that engine to last 100-150,000. I don't know about you, but I'd be pretty pissed if my engine crapped out at 100-150k. They do that for both the EPA, less dirty oil going into the environment, and the consumer - the average idiot looks at that 7500 and thinks "wow, I hardly ever have to change my oil - that's how great of a new car I just bought". They don't, however, set that interval to make the engine last the longest and run it's best. Same thing is true for the new engines that call for 5w20 oils, it's not necessarily the best for the engine, but it is the best for the EPA regulations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back