Time for tune up,suggestions..

Status
Not open for further replies.
On my last tune up i used royal purple a little pricy so,does anyone recomend something similar save some $$$$,and oil filters reco.,thanx

98'chevy tahoe 4x4
mls.117,000

Welcome to the forum.

A oil change is not really a tune up. You want a oil change.

Any name brand oil and filter will work great aslong as it meets your specs.

If you want to use a synthetic, you can.
Read up on here. Every brand under the sun is talked about here. If you want to save some cash and have an outstanding synthetic oil, check out Pennzoil Platnium.

As for filters: look for a quality filter like Pureolator, Wix/Napa Gold, M1, ect. . .

I am doing a full tune up,not just an oil change. But thanks on that comeback,and i'll do some homework..
wink.gif

I`d continue to use the RP unless it`s out of your price range. If you want to use a different oil,I`d go with Valvoline dino and an OEM AC/Delco oil filter.

i would use mobil 1 or even quaker state q. but really any good name brand oil will do. and an oil filter like microgaurd, which is purolator, or wix napa gold whicha re really the same filters, but there you go.

Use the Quaker State Q Horsepower Synthetic for $18/5 quarts at Wal-Mart, and use the $10 mail-in rebate to get it for $8 for 5 quarts. Then, use an AC Delco PF52 oil filter and call it a day
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: BigChevy1904
I am doing a full tune up,not just an oil change. But thanks on that comeback,and i'll do some homework..
wink.gif

Full tune up is;

1. oil change with filter

2. Air filter change

3. PCV replace

4. Fuel filter replace

5. Spark plugs replace

6. Inspect the plug wires and replace if needed.

7. Inspect the drive belts and replace if needed.

8. Inspect the battery and cables.

Other than the above I think that covers it. If the OBD II is throwing codes, then go from there on what needs to be done.

*Any* 5w-30 plus a good filter will be excellent for your engine.

Take care, Bill

PS:
welcome2.gif

Originally Posted By: BigChevy1904
wink.gif

50 years ago a tune-up consisted of changing the air filter, points, plugs, and condenser and retiming the engine about every 10,000 miles. This was required mostly as a result of leaded gasoline fouling the plugs, and wear on breaker points and nylon cam follower.

25 years ago a tune-up consisted of changing the air filter and PCV valve every 25,000 miles (or so). Cleaning the injectors was pushed around 25,000 miles, but many never needed cleaning (I was suckered on that once, and my mileage immediately dropped 2 mpg). Points were history as was leaded gasoline. Spark plugs would go 100,000 miles.

Today is much like 25 years ago, except that some cars are regressing to adjustable tappets, a giant step backward from hydraulic tappets from a maintenance standpoint.

What do you do to "tune up" your car?

Don't forget the coolant. Would be a good idea to replace the thermostat, rad cap and hoses whilst you're at it.

OTOH, there's the ATF, transfer case fluid, diff oils and brake fluid.

I would like to cook a nice steak dinner. Anyone recommend a good chicken to get? :). Sorry I could not help it.

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
Don't forget the coolant. Would be a good idea to replace the thermostat, rad cap and hoses whilst you're at it.

Oops!

9. coolant change.

10. ATF drain and fill (or flush)

11. If 4 wheel drive; Transfer case

12. Diffs.

13. Brake fluid flush.

Good catch!

I'd just follow your owners manual. Later model cars may not require spark plugs or coolant change or a PCV valve for 100,000 miles. Some times the fuel filter in in the gas tank and is part of the fuel pump and has no replacement interval. Your owners manual is your friend!!!!

Originally Posted By: mcrn
I would like to cook a nice steak dinner. Anyone recommend a good chicken to get? :). Sorry I could not help it.

Don't quit your day job!
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Eddie
I'd just follow your owners manual. Later model cars may not require spark plugs or coolant change or a PCV valve for 100,000 miles. Some times the fuel filter in in the gas tank and is part of the fuel pump and has no replacement interval. Your owners manual is your friend!!!!
+1
thumbsup2.gif

(his vehicle does have a frame mounted Fuel filter)

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

Oops!

9. coolant change.

12. Diffs.

13. Brake fluid flush.

Good catch!

+1

'98 Tahoe at 117k miles is needed to replace all fluids, filters and spark plugs.

Originally Posted By: mcrn

Don't quit your day job!
grin2.gif

HaHa Thanks! :)

Oops!

9. coolant change.

12. Diffs.

13. Brake fluid flush.

Good catch!

Yeah, I personally replace all fluids at the 25,000 mile mark.
55.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back