Time for a New Circular Saw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at Dewalt, Craftsman, Makita, etc. I see that some models have a laser guide. Is this a functional feature or a gimmick?

Cheap saw/expensive blade is my combo. The way I work, it's better to have two cheap saws located at two jobs than to schlep one around. Things dissappear as well. I like a lighter tool as well. I don't need 18v or 24v screwgun to install a cabinet, and those bigger ones are heavier too. Same with a saw that will just cut 2x4s all day.

I will have to go with Audi Junkie, I have a Blackndecker and keep good blades in it and it seems to keep going and going and doing nice work. I did use a new Milwaukie at a job I was at though and can see how you could fall in love with a power tool, it was super smooth.

the laser is a gimmick. what kind of quality and how much do you want to spend?
in the $100-150 range I'd recommend a Milwaukee, Bosch or Porter-cable. if you are looking for something cheaper then Skil, Black and Decker, or Ryobi are fine.

I burned up a $70 black and decker and bought a $120 Milwaukee. it has been a great saw.

Had good luck with Makita and Milwaukee tools over the years.

Black & Decker owns DeWalt. DeWalt is Black & Decker so called professional tools. Black & Decker tools are at the bottom of my list of tools to buy. Some DeWalt can be OK but they seem like they are hit and mis.

The problem with Laser guides is they don't seem to show up well in bright sun light at least the ones I have used.

One of my Makita circular saws has a light on it to see the cutting line better I find this useful at least from my experience.

You kind of get what you pay for. Having said that I got some cheap power tools that will do the job.

I have a Skil 3/8in drill that I paid $20 for in the early 70s, single speed, plain bearings, but hobbed steel gears so it's still going strong after lots of abuse. I have a Skil 'Classic' circular saw that's evidently bult the same way, purchased maybe 15 years ago, and works well with decent saw blades. These days more and more things are built in China, not built to last but have more doo dads on them, so look over current products carefully.

A classic high quality circular saw has always been a Skil hypoid gear saw, magnesium if want light, but they were $130 when I bought my plain Skil saw years back.

What are you using it for? If it's just for random homeowner jobs, you don't need to spend more than $50 on a circular saw. They all do exactly the same thing. I have a $40 Skil saw, I don't use it much, but it always slices wood when I need it to. The $100+ saws are for people who work with them every day.

I have a mid-grade hitachi and it is great. I went with a 10"over a 12", as I read that the 12" blades tend to be harderto control and wobble a bit.

Mine has a laser. In some handle positions, the laser isnt visible, but as a whole, it is a useful tool to ensure things are straight and measured correctly.

JMH

I am in the market for one also, thinkin' about a Craftsman sliding 12"... Comments??

I agree with SecondMonkey. I have a cheap Craftsman and an expensive Milwaukee. Yes, the Milwaukee is nicer to use, but the Craftsman I can use without fear of the financial loss if it is stolen, dropped, or otherwise mistreated.

I bought it because I was going to cut cement and didn't want the dust in the Milwaukee. I never found a reason to stop using it. The only thing I would do differently is to get one with a substantial base plate. Mine is flimsy stamped steel, and having to straighten it periodically is a pain.

I go with Cheap. I once bought a De Walt but returned it because it was too heavy. Porta Cable was very nice, but so nice some $#^@& stole it. Canadian Tire (Ryobi) is the best I have had so far.
The Laser is a gimmick

Last edited:
Hitachi are highly under rated. For price/performance, Hitachi makes some excellent durable products. I went with Hitachi over the more expensive Makita power tools and have no regrets.

I would put Black & Decker at the bottom of the list as well. I heard they're made for the guy that hangs it on the wall and uses it once a year.

FYI, I picked up a Dewalt today. It was $20 off and appeared to be light and well built. It will be used for a deck project this summer and the odd repair or project here and there. Certainly not for daily use. I'm 40 and it will likely be around until the family decides that its time to hide Grandpa's power tools. Now it's time to replace my cordless drill. Lithium ion technology seems to be the way to go, but that is a thread for another day...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back