Timberwolf 250

Picked up this ‘97 250 Timberwolf this morning for $700. The guy used it just to go to his deer stand and pull deer out the woods, never been abused. It runs great, has fairly new tires, fresh oil, air filter and spark plug. Ill service the diff and put some fresh oil and a filter so I know whats in it. Those of you with these bikes, are they bulletproof like the Kawasaki Bayou 220 and Honda Recon 250?

Attachments

• FEDB178B-D47B-425F-88B8-06FE66493281.jpeg
    FEDB178B-D47B-425F-88B8-06FE66493281.jpeg
    182.7 KB · Views: 49
Nice score! They are pretty bullet proof as far as I know. I mean the thing is already 25 years old and is running and riding good.. I've got 2 Yamaha's but they're both 350's. I think it will serve you well and finding any used atv that isn't trashed is a win.

I tuned one up a few years ago for my friend's wife so she could join our week long family/friend riding trip to Jericho in NH.
He saw it in a field and bought it from the guy for $500.

I had to clean the beads of a couple tires, replace a brake cable, clean the carb and tank and changed the oil. It lasted throughout our trip without one issue, including our 110 mile ride to Errol and back in one day. It's pretty light and compact as well, as I loaded it in the bed of truck and then had our 4 machines on my trailer.

I think you made out well!

I have one that I rode for several years and now my kids use since I upgraded to a 4x4 2 up CFmoto.
I bought it with a bad rear end. The splines to the rear axle to the ring gear were worn out and slipped.
I ended up having to replace the rear axle and the ring and pinion set because both had worn.
Other than that it has been a bullet proof machine. It doesnt get a ton of miles anymore so I change the oil with Amsoil 10w40 atv/utv oil. The Amsoil has better clutch engagement than other oils I have tried.

oh heck yeah, super reliable and those 250's can really take a beating.

that guy didn't know what he had, those things are going for anywhere from 1500 to 2500 bucks in my area

I got a Bear Tracker brand new in 2000. It's the 2wd version of that. I was 11 at the time and drove it every day after school until dark. I did that for at least 5 years straight, until I started thinking about cars. There were many times when I had it in 5th at WOT for 15-20 minutes straight. I still own it today and it's still all original, besides the carb from letting it sit for 3 years. Its currently on its second oil change ever. That yamaha oil must have been some good stuff because it took a beating. I think I changed it in 2015 or 2016 with Rotella 15w40.

Needless to say, those Yamaha 250s are tough.

Back