Tim Hortons to be bought out by Burger King?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not Canadian but it doubt this can be good for the customer, especially the Tim Horton customers. TH donut and coffee quality is very good, as is the customer service, but the same cannot be said of BK when it comes to the food or service. Bottom line, bad for the customer, good for the greedy shareholder at least in the short term. I wonder if there is a petition to stop this merger on the part of TH customers?

Story here.
CBC.com

Well, I'd better hurry up and try Tim Hortons for the first time before they're assimilated. Never been to one.

It looks as though on paper, 3G wants to expand TH internationally, but wants to keep TH and BK brands separate. What it'll mean in real life, I guess time will tell...

The greedy shareholders lose if Tim Hortons loses business by diluting its brand. So, I doubt they would support this, unless the combined company continues to meet customer expectations.

I suspect that those greedy shareholders will support the tax offsets and savings created by the deal....

You might consider joining those greedy shareholders by starting to invest in companies that are well run...personally, I don't consider the expectation of a reasonable return on my investment to be greedy...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Has the story been retracted? Won't load for me.

The OP is missing the ":" after http

Just need to add it in and you are good.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Has the story been retracted? Won't load for me.

I just tried the link I posted and for some reason it failed the look up, but it is still there if you go directly to
CBC.com/business

Here is a copy and paste.

Burger King is in talks to buy Tim Hortons Inc. and form a new publicly listed company that would be based in Canada.

The company said in a statement Sunday night that Canada would be the largest market of the combined company.

TIMHORTONS-NEWYORK/
Burger King is in talks to buy Tim Hortons Inc. and form a new publicly listed company that would be based in Canada. (Brendan McDermid/Reuters)

The statement said 3G Capital, the majority owner of Burger King, would continue to own the majority of the shares of the new company on a pro forma basis, with the remainder held by existing shareholders of Tim Hortons and Burger King.

The companies say Ontario-based Tim Hortons and Miami-based Burger King would operate as standalone brands.

The statement adds that the new corporation would be the world's third-largest quick service restaurant company, with approximately $22 billion in system sales and more than 18,000 restaurants in 100 countries worldwide.

The companies say they will not comment further unless there is a deal.

Why doesn't the OP mention the fact that the "greedy cooperation of Burger King" may be moving its headquarters to Canada for a tax break.

Read between the lines. This is a merger so the headquarters of the new company will be in Canada and pay less in corp. taxes. The US subsidiary will earn almost no profit and pay little in the way of taxes. The headquarters in Canada will end up earning all the profit (on paper) and pay less than if the headquarters was in the US.

People are already boycotting the BK in my area.The local McDonalds relocated close by a while back and they have been taking the lions share of the biz from BK.It doesn't help now that BK,due to the slow sales,makes nothing ahead of time and everybody waits 10-15 minutes to get served.Thats killing the biz faster and faster,and they are doing nothing to stem the tide.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Why doesn't the OP mention the fact that the "greedy cooperation of Burger King" may be moving its headquarters to Canada for a tax break.

Yeah, so what?

Just proves that these corporations are so riddled with
sociopathology that they will stop at nothing to make an extra penny, even if it means they destroy the company in the long term. It is all about greedy short term profit taking. Of course don't even think about the quality of the product, or the employees that actually get the job done.

There is now finally congressional Bills being drafted that would stop that loophole for avoiding taxes for companies that still offer services or products in the USA.

Maybe now they will say:

You want fries with that, eh?

lol.gif

I'm pretty sure that this will cause an outrage in Canada among Horton customers. They should send the message loud and clear that they will NOT patronize the company if they end up bought by BK.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071

Maybe now they will say:

lol.gif

thumbsup2.gif
01.gif
08.gif

Is TH any better then BK?
I don't know, since I don't eat that sort of food.
Quality isn't really a part of the equation in either case.
Lotsa iffy food at a reasonable price is the name of this game, as it is for every fast food operator.
Still, I doubt that BK would destroy TH as a brand, since that would defeat the purpose of this acquisition.
It is an acquisition, not a merger.
Maybe the TH holders feel that it's time to bail?
They do own the company, after all, so it is theirs to sell.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071

Maybe now they will say:

lol.gif

Yeah. Or they could offer a burger patty stuffed between two donuts. They could call it the Whoppernut.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Is TH any better then BK?

Yes, that is why they clearly win out with customers over their competitiors .
Quote:

I don't know, since I don't eat that sort of food.

Then how could you come to an informed conclusion?
Quote:

Quality isn't really a part of the equation in either case.
Really, is that so? Then explain why Hortons does so well vs their competitors. Quality does matter even with donuts and coffee. Of course good value doesn't hurt, which they have as well.

Quote:

Still, I doubt that BK would destroy TH as a brand, since that would defeat the purpose of this acquisition.

Sure, how many times has destruction of an acquisition occurred in business in history. Plenty!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back