Tim Hortons to be bought out by Burger King?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I spent a couple of days in upper New York state, and there was a Tim Horton's within about 10 minutes of the Comfort Inn that I was staying in. Drove by it about six times, but never stopped in.

I kinda regret not stopping to see what a TH's was all about.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Think of it like a Dunkin Donuts/Starbucks it is an Canadian restaurant.

We just got a Dunkin Donuts a couple of years ago. IMO, it's really bad - probably the worst donuts I've ever had.

If they're like that, Burger King won't hurt them any.

I have been to TH in Maine, Quebec, and NS. Seems like a slightly nicer Dunkin Donuts. I did not love the coffee but its what most Americans and obviously Canadians think of coffee actually paying for as.

Maybe the affiliation with BK will get more market penetration for them into the US. That appears to be a paltry effort thus far.

Quote:

Maybe the affiliation with BK will get more market penetration for them into the US.

could be, instead of BK bitter burnt coffee, you can get TH bitter burnt coffee. j/k

I frequented the THs in the area when they were here; I welcomed it as an alternative to the juggernaut DnD. Having a choice is always a good. I probably went to TH far more than DnD.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Astro14
The greedy shareholders lose if Tim Hortons loses business by diluting its brand. So, I doubt they would support this, unless the combined company continues to meet customer expectations.

I suspect that those greedy shareholders will support the tax offsets and savings created by the deal....

You might consider joining those greedy shareholders by starting to invest in companies that are well run...personally, I don't consider the expectation of a reasonable return on my investment to be greedy...

excellent post.
just heard on the Detroit news, what was expected-- th will run business as it has.
antique -- you, and others, that blabber on about the "greedy shareholder" are a joke.why itch about situations in life over which you have no control? intelligent people take advantage of situations in life, through investment.all here want as much money as possible through employment. it's human nature. does this make everybody greedy?
this week,bk and th shares are up nearly 20%!!!all the people I hang around with take advantage of these situations, and laugh all the way to the bank. we also laugh at people like you who don't have enough sense to make money on these things in life.instead, you choose to itch.
same as with the many threads in which people itch incessantly about the price of gas.my friends and I smile when we buy fuel -- not itch.
at any rate, you threads/posts continue to make us laugh, and for that, once again, we thank you. have a good day, and smile next time you buy fuel.

I don't get this, I was under the impression that if you wanted good baked goods you went to a bakery. I mean who goes to a cheap chain and expects high quality food? Its about speed and price.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
I don't get this, I was under the impression that if you wanted good baked goods you went to a bakery. I mean who goes to a cheap chain and expects high quality food? Its about speed and price.

We have a local bakery that still fries the donuts in beef tallow. They aren't much more expensive than TH, so for a dime/donut, a chain could do it, but most people don't know any better anymore. I guess if you are buying a couple dozen at a time, then it adds up, but no one brings a box of donuts to the office as a treat anyways, most people are getting more health conscious it seems.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
How do TH donuts compare to Krispy Kreme donuts?

Depends on what you mean by Krispy Kreme donuts... if you mean the ones at the convenience store, then I'd say they're fairly comparable. It's a matter of taste which one is better. If you mean a Krispy Kreme when it's within five minutes of having come out of the hot oil bath, then it's no contest. Krispy Kreme, hands down.

Originally Posted By: yeti

excellent post.
just heard on the Detroit news, what was expected-- th will run business as it has.
antique -- you, and others, that blabber on about the "greedy shareholder" are a joke.why itch about situations in life over which you have no control? intelligent people take advantage of situations in life, through investment.all here want as much money as possible through employment. it's human nature. does this make everybody greedy?
this week,bk and th shares are up nearly 20%!!!all the people I hang around with take advantage of these situations, and laugh all the way to the bank. we also laugh at people like you who don't have enough sense to make money on these things in life.instead, you choose to itch.
same as with the many threads in which people itch incessantly about the price of gas.my friends and I smile when we buy fuel -- not itch.
at any rate, you threads/posts continue to make us laugh, and for that, once again, we thank you. have a good day, and smile next time you buy fuel.

Dunkin Donuts used to have good quality donuts freshly made at each shop, and good coffee, before they became a shareholder penny generating machine.
Now the donuts suck, the coffee is [censored], they offer too many choices all of which are lacking in quality and the prices are outrageously high. Eventually the sheep will get tired of the [censored] and move on, recently there was even talk that DD expanded so rapidly that their "shares" are faltering. Also because the customer is not liking the [censored] product.LOL

I also remember recently when the CEO for IHOP was on CNBC and when asked which dishes she liked best could NOT think of ONE item! Seriously, she looked like a deer in the headlights as she blankly stated into the camera, the silence was deafening!. Why? Because she doesn't even eat there, probably because the food sucks, since they have become another market darling.
crackmeup2.gif

Thing is it ISN'T always about the money. There are other angles to human nature as well, obviously I and many others do not agree with you.

But I don't expect people like you to have any understanding of that aspect of life, you've been trained to ignore other things which makes for a one dimensional life, which also decreases the quality of life for others that do not agree with your single minded outlook.

That kind of single mindedness takes a product that was made with pride (even if it is a donut, or coffee) and just turns it into another commodity that is a tool for greed.

I'm going to keep right on "itching" because after all
it takes all kinds to make the world go round, doesn't it?
smirk.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: antiqueshell

Thing is it ISN'T always about the money. There are other angles to human nature as well, obviously I and many others do not agree with you.

But I don't expect people like you to have any understanding of that aspect of life, you've been trained to ignore other things which makes for a one dimensional life, which also decreases the quality of life for others that do not agree with your single minded outlook.

That kind of single mindedness takes a product that was made with pride (even if it is a donut, or coffee) and just turns it into another commodity that is a tool for greed.

I'm going to keep right on "itching" because after all
it takes all kinds to make the world go round, doesn't it?
smirk.gif

What universe are you living in? I've never been in a TH but I can guarantee you nothing in there is made with pride. Certainly not BK. That ship has long passed with chains. If you want pride you'll have to find a local with mom or dad in the kitchen. So far this is big businesses doing big business stuff. Nothing to be offended over or try to gather some larger meaning.

Originally Posted By: hatt

What universe are you living in? I've never been in a TH but I can guarantee you nothing in there is made with pride. Certainly not BK. That ship has long passed with chains. If you want pride you'll have to find a local with mom or dad in the kitchen. So far this is big businesses doing big business stuff. Nothing to be offended over or try to gather some larger meaning.

Why has that time passed? Because greed has overtaken every other
aspect of business. The only thing you can do to prevent the consumer from refusing to patronize businesses with [censored] product is to dumb them down, which is being done daily.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
If you care this deeply you can open your own donut shop once you make a profit you can join "the elite" capitalist.

If I did open up a donut shop I would be content to
"earn a living" and "not a killing" at the expense of the product and the customer.
20.gif

Originally Posted By: leeharvey418
Depends on what you mean by Krispy Kreme donuts... if you mean the ones at the convenience store, then I'd say they're fairly comparable. It's a matter of taste which one is better. If you mean a Krispy Kreme when it's within five minutes of having come out of the hot oil bath, then it's no contest. Krispy Kreme, hands down.

I meant the latter - straight from a Krispy Kreme store.

Why has that time passed? Because greed has overtaken every other
aspect of business. The only thing you can do to prevent the consumer from refusing to patronize businesses with [censored] product is to dumb them down, which is being done daily.

It's YOUR greed that's the problem. Businesses simply provide products. Consumers decided price meant more than anything else and the market shifted to meet that demand. If you actually cared about these things you wouldn't have been in a TH in the first place. You'd be giving the local shop that Tom and Mary Smith own all your business.

This reminds me of the people complaining about self checkouts at taking away jobs. If you were worried about jobs you wouldn't have been in said corp.

Originally Posted By: hatt

It's YOUR greed that's the problem. Businesses simply provide products. Consumers decided price meant more than anything else and the market shifted to meet that demand. If you actually cared about these things you wouldn't have been in a TH in the first place. You'd be giving the local shop that Tom and Mary Smith own all your business.

How is it my greed? FYI when we had local bakery shops around I did patronize them, and often, since I really like donuts and the like, but both places within reasonable driving distance closed down and there was little choice. The reason why modern consumers are obsessed with low price is A) because their economic situation is getting worse all the time and B) because the consumer has been trained to think this way. It is NO accident.

Last edited:
How is it my greed? FYI when we had local bakery shops around I did patronize them, and often, since I really like donuts and the like, but both places within reasonable driving distance closed down and there was little choice. The reason why modern consumers are obsessed with low price is A) because their economic situation is getting worse all the time and B) because the consumer has been trained to think this way. It is NO accident.

I have said this before. You have the opportunity to cure this ill. Open your own business and you can pay your workers a decent wage if you desire.

I find it hard to believe there are no local places. We have a nice variety of places around here. I'm sure the Chicago area is covered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back