Tim Hortons to be bought out by Burger King?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They tried to get into this area by buying out Bess Eaton...the food was fair to poor and overpriced, the coffee (Bess Eaton's had been OK) was undrinkable. The entire thing imploded a few years ago, they're all gone.

Aside from Honey Dew's loyal following, NOTHING can touch Dunkin' Donuts in the Northeast!

Moving to a remote area 7 years ago was bad enough but leaving my beloved Tim Hortons was the WORST. I'm a coffee addict and they have the best "drive thru" coffee. When I had access to their stores, I drank a LOT of their coffee...Dunkin doesn't even come close. Then there's BK...the bottom of the barrel (along with Mickey D's) with their pink slime and wood powder burgers and who knows what with their quality-cutting-for-a-buck business model. This has become the way of business...do ANYTHING necessary to make a dollar even if it means poor quality and unhealthy products...doesn't bode well for TH I'm afraid.

i love bk's (seattle's best) coffee.(fyi) i know in my area their are no tim hortons, so maybe this is also a deal to get tim hortons all over the states?

Dunkin Donuts coffee is terrible, as are the dry, stale tasting donuts.... YUCK. Years ago DD used to make their donuts fresh on site at each store and they were decent, now the dough is brought in premixed. Their coffee was always overrated as well. The prices for DD are simply outrageous, it is laughable considering the horrid quality!

The only thing that came close to Tim Hortons in the USA might have been Mr. Donut, which sadly was bought out by DD a decade or more ago. and the name is not used in the USA since the early 90s.

I think a merger would be a win for Canada atleast. Nothing will change at TH's here I'd think(why mess with success?). BK might learn how to run a fast food operation with some semblance of quality, and we get some tax income to fund our extravagant social welfare programs...
08.gif

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Nothing will change at TH's here I'd think(why mess with success?).

Don't be too sure, the arrogance of large US Corporations is boundless, I promise you they will start pinching pennies on things (oh, the paid consultants will tell the execs at BK it won't hurt things a bit! LOL) Initially profits will increase but slowly the quality will decline imperceptible at first but eventually it will start destroying the brand.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
They tried to get into this area by buying out Bess Eaton...the food was fair to poor and overpriced, the coffee (Bess Eaton's had been OK) was undrinkable. The entire thing imploded a few years ago, they're all gone.

Aside from Honey Dew's loyal following, NOTHING can touch Dunkin' Donuts in the Northeast!

+1 for Honey Dew.

TH's has some hold out stores in Southern Maine, one by the Maine Mall IIRC; there is also a reincarnated BE in Pawcatuck CT. I think I went there once, but it isn't particularly close to my house.

Sounds like a good move, a lot of companies are trying to get into the lucrative breakfast market.

Originally Posted By: Subdued
Hortons is more about the beverages than it is about the food

Well it's more about the coffee and donuts. That's essentially what Timmy's is.
thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif
13.gif
20.gif

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Is TH any better then BK?
I don't know, since I don't eat that sort of food.
Quality isn't really a part of the equation in either case.
Lotsa iffy food at a reasonable price is the name of this game, as it is for every fast food operator.
Still, I doubt that BK would destroy TH as a brand, since that would defeat the purpose of this acquisition.
It is an acquisition, not a merger.
Maybe the TH holders feel that it's time to bail?
They do own the company, after all, so it is theirs to sell.

You don't eat fresh baked goods?
What about freshly made soups with freak baked buns.
Or freshly made chilli with big chunks of veggies.
Or what sorta food are you referring to.
Because obviously you don't have a clue what your talking about in regards to the quality of Tim hortons products,at least not here anyways.
Try commenting when your up to date.
Just sayin.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Originally Posted By: dave1251
Why doesn't the OP mention the fact that the "greedy cooperation of Burger King" may be moving its headquarters to Canada for a tax break.

Maybe now they will say:

You want fries with that, eh?

lol.gif

Yeah. Or they could offer a burger patty stuffed between two donuts. They could call it the Whoppernut.

crackmeup2.gif

BK is OK in our region but a new (30 years old) private owned chain known as Cook Out has come to town with impressive service and food quality and offer overwhelming line of food types in one store. They started in NC I read and are now in SC, VA, KY, TN and GA that I know about. Some refer to them as the Chick-fil-A of the hamburger restaurants. They only are about 150 Cook Out's today but in the last 12 months they have added about 27 per a review on the web. The organizations that offer the best selection and value may continue to gain ground to those who focus on short term profits by cutting service and food quality. Fast food world is more competitive than motor oil companies I expect.
smile.gif

BK is not the first USA company to cut tax rates by moving out of country with headquarters however. People boycotting them is interesting. It would be my guess the quality of TH over time will moving in the direction of BK quality instead of the other way around.

The biggest shot in the foot to TH's quality was done long ago - getting away from donuts baked fresh on premises. The only way to get that now is to go to a real bakery or a mom and pop donut shop, which is pretty rare, of course.

I'm a big fan of Robin's Donuts up here, too. If Tim's quality drops and they start losing market share and stores, Robin's will pick up the slack. I end up going to Robin's fairly regularly. The pricing is the same and the quality is fine, and I prefer not to be in a drive through line with 30 cars.
wink.gif

There have been TH's and Wendys in the same building but I figure the franchisee was allowed to have "competition". Much like DD's and Subway under one roof, or Subway and Domino's.

Only flaw is BK tries to make breakfast and any "better" food might poach (so to speak) their sales. Their "Turbo" coffee (with espresso shot) is drinkable.

Timmy's is inconvenient, so I don't try their stuff. I figured it was here for the summer tourists from Quebec. DD's has suffered since they started delivering product in unmarked trucks at 1 am. I don't smell donuts being made... I used to. Tim Horton "the man" used to be a hockey player (of course
smirk.gif
) and presumed
08.gif
national hero.

One of my biggest disappointments in moving to Syracuse was Tim Hortons. Growing up, I used to watch Red Green and would always hear about the Tim Hortons 'right off the 401'. When I moved here I tried their coffee ... yuck! Tastes a bit too chemical laden for me
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Miller88
One of my biggest disappointments in moving to Syracuse was Tim Hortons. Growing up, I used to watch Red Green and would always hear about the Tim Hortons 'right off the 401'. When I moved here I tried their coffee ... yuck! Tastes a bit too chemical laden for me
frown.gif

Hmmm, usually I find TH pretty consistent from store to store, the odd time I might get a "burnt" pot, which isn't nice.
Overall TH's is nothing special, but they are the only coffee chain here that isn't dirty inside and they have high standards for consistency between stores. They also have a good ad agency and have imbedded themselves in Canadian culture, but I think their lack of success in the US shows that without the cultural advantage, they are just a notch above the average coffee chain, but nothing spectacular.
But the cleanliness and the consistency factors, make TH's my choice 95% of the time...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back