Tiller identification

Status
Not open for further replies.

cptbarkey

$50 site donor 2024
Picked this tiller up on craigslist, i was wondering if anyone could help ID what make/model and engine this is? Here is a gallery of photos, my basic googling turns up nothing but I wonder if its sporting John Deer colors. the make/model plaque is worn.

http://imgur.com/a/teJSC

I see "Montgomery" at the bottom of that plaque, which make me think Montgomery Ward.

If my Great Uncle was still alive he might know for sure, he was the Auto Manager @ the Local Montgomery Ward....but he passed like 2 yrs back.

all the deere ones i'm seeing online,look way different, and had green "decks". so i'd guess someone had this guy apart in the past, and hit it with some Deere themed paint.

my guy reaction to that engine was a briggs unit.

is there anything remaining of the model number on that tag (in person)? if so you can probably get the manual

https://sites.google.com/site/rustytiller/manuals

he also says(if you can read a model #) if he doesn't have the manual you might be able to order it from Toro. (Numbers and info @ above link)

Last edited:
It is for sure a B&S engine somewhere from 3 to 5 hp. the model numbers are visible, but not readable by me, on the carburetor/fuel tank side of the blower housing. (blower housing is the tin/recoil housing covering the flywheel)

That is a Montgomery Ward tiller. I restored a similar one a few years ago. They are well built machines.
thumbsup2.gif

thanks everyone, will get it cleaned up, has quite a bit of caked up dirt, and what a strange figure 8 belt system.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
thanks everyone, will get it cleaned up, has quite a bit of caked up dirt, and what a strange figure 8 belt system.

We had one of those when I was a kid, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't a Monkey Wards. I believe that figure 8 system allows you to "back up". And since Wards really didn't make anything themselves, you should be able to get parts for it somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back