Ticking?

So I drove to Osage Beach,MO yesterday as I eventually want the luxury hillbilly life soon. Its beautiful and I love southern hospitality and the fact everyone was armed made me feel like I was at a redneck bunny ranch. So upon leaving I developed this tick. I have heard it ever so lightly about the last 75,000 miles or so and attribute it to filters or age. Well, its a rod bearing/wrist pin!!!! Ouch was my thoughts too. Luckily this XADO Atomic Revitalizant had formed some barrier awhile back along with the Redline and the damage isnt bad. I hope to get pictures of this and will keep this post updated. No CEL and still got 35mpg with full power so I am open minded to how I might have dodged a more severe outcome. Found a slight bit of copper in the filter but it wasnt awful and the Fram Ultra captured everything. None in the pan that can be seen. So if you hear a tick,pay close attention and dont use a thick oil supplement to try and fix the unfixable. Im on the process of trying to find aftermarket parts to throw in while its being torn down.

Not to be a wet blanket, but I doubt the additives did anything.

Short story:
Years ago a friend of mine had a early 2000's Mustang GT with the 4.6L. He moved to Alberta to work in the oil fields and it was a crisp winter day when he decided to do a burn-out at about -35C with 5w-30 in the pan with an ice cold engine. He called me up telling me about this noise it was making. Sounded like it was coming from the valve cover apparently, I told him to change the oil, see if there was any metal in it. He only had M1 0w-40 on-hand, so that's what went in it. He drove it around making that noise for months then drove it all the way to Ontario.

Finally seeing the car in person and doing a quick recon it was quickly determined this was not a valvetrain problem.

Up on the hoist it went and off came the pan. #7 rod bearing had spun and he'd been driving it like that for months, off the limiter, driving it hard and it made a trip halfway across Canada.

No additives, no miracle magic, just a pan full of plain old 0w-40.

Short story:
Years ago a friend of mine had a early 2000's Mustang GT with the 4.6L. He moved to Alberta to work in the oil fields and it was a crisp winter day when he decided to do a burn-out at about -35C with 5w-30 in the pan with an ice cold engine. He called me up telling me about this noise it was making. Sounded like it was coming from the valve cover apparently, I told him to change the oil, see if there was any metal in it. He only had M1 0w-40 on-hand, so that's what went in it. He drove it around making that noise for months then drove it all the way to Ontario.

Finally seeing the car in person and doing a quick recon it was quickly determined this was not a valvetrain problem.

Up on the hoist it went and off came the pan. #7 rod bearing had spun and he'd been driving it like that for months, off the limiter, driving it hard and it made a trip halfway across Canada.

Correct.

The imagination is a powerful thing and it's what these additive companies count on. They have nothing else so when that's all you got that's what you use.

No actual evidence whatsoever but with breathless abandon it's what saved the day.

Attachments

• 20201202_162359.jpg
    20201202_162359.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 46
  • 20201202_162430.jpg
    20201202_162430.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 46

Short story:

My GM 5.3 with AFM has slowly developed a steady tick that has gotten louder.. My last oil change was Amsoil 5w30.. but either it sheared very quick or the shop put in something else.. because my engine started making odd noises and ticks that it didn't before. Of course this was all gradual over 7500 miles or so in south Florida heat. I put in 15w40 and it quieted down some.. No loud rattle on cold starts. but the tick is still there just muffled.

So ticks can be bearing wear? Might have some damage on my hands.

My GM 5.3 with AFM has slowly developed a steady tick that has gotten louder.. My last oil change was Amsoil 5w30.. but either it sheared very quick or the shop put in something else.. because my engine started making odd noises and ticks that it didn't before. Of course this was all gradual over 7500 miles or so in south Florida heat. I put in 15w40 and it quieted down some.. No loud rattle on cold starts. but the tick is still there just muffled.

So ticks can be bearing wear? Might have some damage on my hands.

You might be experiencing lifter failure, which that engine is known to have a risk (however slight) of experiencing.

Back