Ticking noise on startup after oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed the oil in my wifes Escape today. 6 quarts RP 5w20 out, 6 quarts RP 5w20 in. The only thing I changed was that I installed a RP oil filter instead of the Pureone that was on it. Now I have noticed a ticking sound on startup
mad.gif
. It was REALLY noticeable at first, and now it just ticks for a second or two on startup. It does not continue while driving. Anyone ever have this issue? Is this something that will right itself or is it causing damage and I should change the oil filter ASAP?

It's causing damage. You need to get the filter off there asap and replace it with a Tearolator.

Originally Posted By: Apollo14
It's causing damage. You need to get the filter off there asap and replace it with a Tearolator.

Stop. This isn't a discussion about which one is better. This is a technical discussion. Stop trolling.

You must be hearing things. The human ear cannot detect any difference in engine noise. Or even the presence or absence of noise, ever.

Wait, maybe that's just for M1 threads.

Ok, As someone that is in the engine business i believe the one that was accused of trolling was on the right track. I have found that motorcraft filters with a good name brand motor oil GF-5 API sn 5w20 works the best. There are millions of ford engines on the road that run a long long time using what ford says to. I don't know anything about royal purple because i have never used it because i would not spend that much on any oil.

Is it ticking at every startup,or just that one very first startup? Did you pre-fill the filter thoroughly?

You should have bought a Fram TG. They have almost eliminated my start up tick.
laugh.gif

Go back to Purolator or just get an MC filter. IIRC, filter noise isn't the sound of any mechanical damage or excessive wear.. It just sounds terrible. Replace it for your mental health.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Is it ticking at every startup,or just that one very first startup? Did you pre-fill the filter thoroughly?

Only at startup.

Originally Posted By: typ901
If it's piece of mind then change it...did you keep the old filter?

Yes but I punched a hole in the bottom to drain out the oil inside. I will be cutting it and posting it on here tommorrow.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

It was ticking on every startup. 30+ seconds on the first start post oil change, then about 2-3 seconds every start up after. Yes filter was prefilled and lubricated thoroughly.

Originally Posted By: JerryBob
If you remove the RP, I'd be curious to hear back if that resolved the problem.

UPDATE: So now I drove the vehicle approximately 30 miles and let it sit for about 5 hours. This time: No start up noise whatsoever. I will start it tommorow morning. If it has any ticking at all, it is getting pulled and another Pureone or Fram Ultra will be replacing it. I am very dissapointed in this oil filter so far. I expect more than this from a company like RP.

A short piston skirt is not a design flaw, and forged pistons require more clearance as they expand more when they heat up.
Once you know that cold engine piston slap is the sound of a hot engine you will learn to love it.
Forget about all those "dino" comments.
What are they talking about?
1964 solvent refined group 1 that asphalt is made from?

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: used_0il
A short piston skirt is not a design flaw, and forged pistons require more clearance as they expand more when they heat up.
Once you know that cold engine piston slap is the sound of a hot engine you will learn to love it.
Forget about all those "dino" comments.
What are they talking about?
1964 solvent refined group 1 that asphalt is made from?

+1, all true !

Originally Posted By: crainholio
Motorcraft FL-820S filters on our 3.0, always.

+1. If you bring a Ford into the dealer with a start-up noise complaint the first thing they will look at is the oil filter brand. If it isn't a Motorcraft they will assume that's the problem. Motorcrafts seem to be great filters and are available at WalMart at a reasonable price. Why not just use them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back