Ticking and Tapping

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a 02 firebird with the 3800 v6 engine in it. I had the oil changed and a AC pf52 oil filter installed. I noticed that everytime you start the engine now it ticks-taps for about 30 seconds. If its hot and you restart within about 3 mins its ok, any longer and it will tick and tap. I tried changing the oil filter to the stock AC pf 47 but it does the same thing. Anyone else ever notice this with thier 3800 engines? TY

The 3800 engines are prone to piston-slap I believe and it's not harmful to the engine.

You could try a different filter or oil.
thumbsup2.gif

What oil did it have in it and what did you change it to?

Maybe a partially plugged up lifter?

Last edited:
Its completely quiet otherwise, I'll have to listen to it after a completely cold start and see what i hear. I'm not sure what oil the dealer had put in when they changed it but i used Pennzoil Plat 10-30.

It sounds EXACTLY like my 4.0 jeep when it starts. Clatters and ticks terrible for 30 seconds then completely quiet.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
The 3800 engines are prone to piston-slap I believe and it's not harmful to the engine.

You could try a different filter or oil.
thumbsup2.gif

I have piston slap issue/lifter noise on my Mazda3 with a cold engine also but it takes about 5 minutes of normal operating temps before it goes away.

I am interested why a different oil filter would possibly help out.

Last edited:
I have seen some engines piston slap noise go away with a filter that offers better flow or an oil that has certain CST numbers at colder temps. Usually doesn't work, but it's worth a try!

The 3800 in my 99 Buick LeSabre is a bit noisy at cold start, and it sort of sounds like a tick. It goes away when the car is warm. Runs like it always has.

Q torque power oil and a Wix filter.

Well this does it hot, If you shut the engine off for about 10 mins it will click and clatter for about 20-30 seconds when you restart. If you restart within a 5 mins its ok so i have to assume its not piston noise but lifter bleed down.

Strange i didn't notice this with the oil the dealer used????? hmmm could it just be the change to synthetic?

I would think it's oil bleeding away from parts in the engine... Try a thicker oil, different filter or an oil with more Molly in it. Might help you!

Also if you just recently switched brands of oil it could be the engine getting used to the new oil and might only happen until the next change. Could be cleaning going on!
thumbsup2.gif

I honestly wouldn't worry about it...
grin2.gif

99TA, years ago i bought a used 01 SS, and the thing didnt slap at all at the dealer. First oil change when I changed it, BAM, slap was there. Really bad on hot restarts after sitting for a bit.

I think some dealers or whoever does the used car inspection knows these motors are tickers and dumps something in there to quiet them down...

Allot of the GM v6's had lifter tick some had none at cold start up,that's what your hearing,bleed off from a lifter,normal will hurt nothing.

what weight oil u using??? 5w30 is recommended.

I`ve owned several cars with the 3800. Always super silent! I always ran dino in them,usually Valvoline. I even ran the orange can of doom and never had a hint of an issue with those motors. Here`s a couple of examples:

When I bought my 2nd 3000GT (car had 30k miles on it),it ran super silent and smooooooooth as silk,UNTIL I changed the oil to Syntec 10W30. Immediately it ticked and slapped like crazy on every cold startup or startup after it had sat for a few hours. Ran it like this for a long time,thinking I`d bought a lemon. Well,I changed the oil back to regular dino and all ticking and slapping were immediately gone and never returned.

Same thing with my gf`s Delta 88 w/3800. Ran smoth as glass till I changed the oil to M1 10W30. Then,it ticked on ever startup,hot or cold. Went back to dino next oci and all abnormal noises were gone and never came back. Do some engines simply not react well to synth oils? I`m no professional mechanic so I can`t make a scientific conclusion,but something didn`t mesh well.

I've been driving Fords for a kazillion years and have never experienced such goings on as this noise you speak of.

Originally Posted By: tig1
I've been driving Fords for a kazillion years and have never experienced such goings on as this noise you speak of.
That only speaks to why Ford doesn't seem to be in the same boat as GM.
LOL.gif
(J/K)

Originally Posted By: StevieC
I have seen some engines piston slap noise go away with a filter that offers better flow or an oil that has certain CST numbers at colder temps. Usually doesn't work, but it's worth a try!

Hmmm...maybe a coincidence but I noticed that the tick/slap has increased over the last couple of oil changes which coincided with my switch form the OEM Mazda Filter to the Purolator Pure One filter since the fall of '08.

Last edited:
My Santa Fe is very fussy with oil filters and oil, so I guess it's possible for your Mazda too! Not a common issue, but a cheap "worth a try" type thing!

My 99 Camaro with the 3800 V6 does the same thing occasionally... I never heard it when I was running the PF47 with Mobil Clean 5000 10W30, but now that I run a PF52 (or NAPA Silver comparable filter) with YB Pennzoil 10W30 I hear it now and then. Probably just a coincidence, but I might switch back to the Mobil/PF47 next time around just to see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back