Thump thump thump as I shake old oil out of filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Filter was in service for 9mo/6700 miles, and while tipping it over, I felt a soft "bump" from inside the filter. I shook it a bunch of times, and there was definitely something loose in there. What is going on?

You can guess the brand of filter...

I've actually had this happen with another brand, too. I think it's the ones that use a cheesy leaf spring pushing the cartridge against the base plate. When the media warps even slightly, the cartridge shrinks, the cheap-[censored] leaf spring runs out of travel and the filter leaks around the media. I cut open one that had a nice coil spring at the dome end, but forgot which brand it was.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Cut it open and post pics.

thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

fram.jpg

They seem to be using the paper media as a spring to hold itself in place. There isn't even a leaf spring on top.

Fail.

Whats wrong with cardboard end caps they say? Plastic relief valves often leak as I have seen in other tests. Even top of the line "Xtended Guard" has that cheesy plastic valve.

Did you use your teeth to bite open that filter or what?
lol.gif
Anyway, yeah that's a Frailm alright.

Well, this one should go a long way to undoing the "paper end caps are good enough" argument.

That distortion would never have happened if the filter medium were being held firmly in place by rigid metal end caps.

Originally Posted By: CharlieJ
Did you use your teeth to bite open that filter or what?
lol.gif
Anyway, yeah that's a Frailm alright.

Yeah, I myself was having a vision of Jaws from the James Bond movies, chewing the filter open with his teeth. . .
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: ekpolk
That distortion would never have happened if the filter medium were being held firmly in place by rigid metal end caps.

With metal endcaps the center tube has something to anchor to. See how the free floating center tube just glided out of there where its not even glued. The media has no endwise support.

They should patent this. The bypass valve function has been integrated into the media itself. The media pack is scrunched into the can to hold it in place, and when the pressure exceeds a set limit, it scrunches down a bit more and opens the hole in the end cap.

Well, this one should go a long way to undoing the "paper end caps are good enough" argument.

That's a pretty silly statement, ek. Even if the paper element was held in by metal, the paper could still distort slightly between the metal end caps. Paper bends a lot easier than metal, you see.

The end-caps on this filter are still perfectly straight, so their structural rigidity hasn't been compromised at all. Also not that the media hasn't detached at all from the end caps. This filter held up just fine.

The anti-Fram nazi's on here are becoming just comical!

Originally Posted By: addyguy

That's a pretty silly statement, ek. Even if the paper element was held in by metal, the paper could still distort slightly between the metal end caps. Paper bends a lot easier than metal, you see.

Except the metal end-caps are physically attached to the centre tube. So even if the media distorts, the entire assembly doesn't "squish".

In the above scenario, as is clearly depicted, the cardboard and garbage "media assembly" was able to compress all by itself while riding on the centre tube like a guide, allowing the oil to completely bypass the media, permanently disabling the filter from being able to perform its primary function: FILTRATION.

Quote:
The end-caps on this filter are still perfectly straight, so their structural rigidity hasn't been compromised at all.

Except the entire unit is COMPRESSED as indicated by the severe deformation of the pleats. The cardboard is NOT ANCHORED to the centre tube!

Quote:
Also not that the media hasn't detached at all from the end caps. This filter held up just fine.

Except it's floating in space, riding the centre tube and essentially providing zero filtration. That doesn't fit my definition of "fine".

Quote:
The anti-Fram nazi's on here are becoming just comical!

The guys with their head so far in the sand that they cannot see an obviously flawed design, even when there is physical evidence of how the design can, and apparently DOES fail are comical.

Overkill:

Fine. I didn't understand enough about what I was seeing to really see the issue....but I need you to answer a question:

This is posted by a memeber in Canada, and as you know, Frams are most likely the number 1 selling filter in Canada. They're everywhere, and they are most like on a lot of cars.

But, I drive down the road, and it isn't littered with seized/dead cars that have died from bad Fram filters.

How is this possible?

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Overkill:

Fine. I didn't understand enough about what I was seeing to really see the issue....but I need you to answer a question:

This is posted by a memeber in Canada, and as you know, Frams are most likely the number 1 selling filter in Canada. They're everywhere, and they are most like on a lot of cars.

But, I drive down the road, and it isn't littered with seized/dead cars that have died from bad Fram filters.

How is this possible?

Briggs and Stratton Lawn Mower engines don't have filter (only the tractor ones do, and then only some of them).

We have some boat engines from the 30's and 40's that have never been rebuilt. They don't have oil filters either.

So while a filter is a great device to ensure clean oil and prolong engine life, it is not necessary for the engine to function and many would probably last a very long time with no filter at all.

This is why we have bypass valves. Dirty oil is better than no oil.

That being said, the difference between the car running a FRAM filter and say a Motorcraft may be the difference between the oil-burning Intrepid with 200,000Km on it and the Crown Vic that passes e-test with flying colours with 750,000km on it.

In Canada the former would be regarded as providing adequate service, while the latter would be regarded as an oddity. Yet I have seen both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back