Throw away or reuse ? 100 miles Mobil 1 oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
My haft phase ( 1500 miles ) of auto-rx clean. I bought the car and change oil and filter ( mobil 1 short version ), 100 miles later I change oil and filter ( Wix long version ), I drain the mobil one filter and keep it in a ziplock bag ( I cant get this $9 filter wasted
grin2.gif
, now im in 1500 miles of first clean phase of auto-rx, im thinking reuse that old mobil 1 filter, thinking it only 100 miles, what you guy think ? should I just spend another $6 buck for new wix filter or reuse 100 miles mobil 1 filter. Thanks

Just check it periodically for leaks and to make sure it's tight. The only time I've ever had an oil filter leak is after reinstalling it.

I would not reuse it. Probably safe to reuse but why take the risk? 9 to 15 dollar filter to replace. How much is your engine going to cost if the gasket fails while driving and you blow all your oil out before you know it? Just not worth the risk to me. But like I said it is probably safe.

I wasted two filters during the A-Rx treatment. I thought they'd be loaded up with junk, removed them halfway through the clean and rinse phases (first treatment). I tossed 2 perfectly good filters. Now if I do another A-Rx treatment, I would simply remove the filter and check it, if its good put it back on and use it. Just make sure to check for leaks whenever removing and re-installing any filter.

Oddly enough, I've done this twice recently with filters actually nearing the end of their service intervals. The reason for removal is that I am doing some testing with a product that claims to reduce ferrous particulates and I wanted to see what it did with dirty oil over the last 1000-1500 miles of service cleaning the oil. I had no trouble. On the pickup, I've run another 1200 miles so far and will soon be channging it out for the LOF and getting a second oil sample for tests. The second instance was on my tractor and it's been reinstalled about 22 hours now. I carefully inspected the gaskets in both cases.

It's definitely not good practice overall but by inspecting the gasket and being careful to check it a few times afterwards, I doubt there is much to worry about 98 percent of the time, especially on a higher quality fitler. I think that 2 percent deserves some thoughts on risk vs rewards, but the risk can be mitigated by a careful person.

Anecdotally, back in my wrenching days, when doing warranty repairs on new cars and trucks, I was forced to reinstall used filters many times and never had a problem then either. Didn't like the idea much at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back