Thoughts on Vandersteen speakers?

5000$ speakers? oof.
not my area of expertise.. but location is very important once you get to that level almost need a room built for sound to take advantage of that level of audiophile gear.

I'm looking at the floor model 3a, not sure what receiver I should buy for these speakers.
Upscale Audio? Bought a lot of stuff from them. You want the best power amplification you can afford with them. 100-200 watts per chan minimum. They are very good speakers.

I have never heard them, but know of them. I guess my experience taught me you can easily get into a upward cost spiral in high fidelity with diminishing returns.

I have been listening to Monitor Audio speakers for 30 years; love 'em.

I'm looking at the floor model 3a, not sure what receiver I should buy for these speakers.
Looking or are you going to be listening to a pair huge difference. This is starting to get into some good quality speakers it’s all about synergy.

Reactions: Y_K
Yup, it's all about synergy. Room would be the first on the list. I have been running various 2Cx iterations for decades, and those definitely beat any monitor speakers. I listen to Classical and a lot of chants. Had various set-ups: bi-amping and what not, but simple used Yamaha and Marantz receivers work just as well.

Sidenote: those Audio Science kids don't know much about acoustic Metrology or even general Metrology, i.e. they have decent equipment yet no knowledge of how to use it. Trust your ears when it comes to acoustics more. Again: your room is the most important variable. Gracious echo degradation is what you want.

“……… Gracious echo degradation is what you want.”

Y_K:

Thanks for your input.
Now please explain the above sentence in layman’s terms.

Vandersteen is a very well respected manufacturer. If I was looking at Vandersteen, I would probably be leaning towards an upscale integrated or separates to extract what the Vandersteens have to offer. I don't see the point of a receiver anymore unless you are doing home theater as well. A low cost streamer such as the iFi Zen Stream offers sound superior (I have one) to any receiver I ever heard. Enjoy your journey:)

I own a pair of "3A Signature", and like them very much.
I bought them used back in the early EBay days. I paid $695 in 2001.
I haven't used them in several years though. My hearing is not what it used to be, and I don't have the leisure time I used to have.
I've fallen out of listening to music almost entirely.
My last purchase was Pixel Buds Pro.

I first heard a pair back in 1985 or so at an audiophile store and loved what I heard.
You will get audiophile-quality reproduction from them.

They're made at least for bi-wiring.
I'm using an Adcom amp that can put out 130W/ch.

Last edited:
Looking at the specs, 6 ohm 87 dB efficient and 100-200 watts recommended. Also a stable 4 ohm receiver/integrated amp recommended. You're going to be going down an expensive rabbit hole. It took me many years of experimenting to finally get sonic bliss from my systems. Research from Vandersteen owners as to what they would do or do over from their experiences. If you want to bring out the best from the speakers, you'll need very good equipment and cabling. Find a really good dealer if possible. Best of luck!

Buy a dedicated power amp and feed it from your receiver of choice. I'm using a Bryston 4B, McIntosh is of course another choice, and there are many others, depending on how much you are comfortable spending.

Eager to hear a pair.

What are you driving them with?

With a max input of 200 watts at 4 ohms it wont take a ton.

Buy a dedicated power amp and feed it from your receiver of choice. I'm using a Bryston 4B, McIntosh is of course another choice, and there are many others, depending on how much you are comfortable spending.
But why dedicated we have no clue of source or any parts of a system no clue of music preference or room a integrated might be the way to go and be better but we have no clue so no reccomendation can be made at this time. It's all about synergy.

But why dedicated we have no clue of source or any parts of a system no clue of music preference or room a integrated might be the way to go and be better but we have no clue so no reccomendation can be made at this time. It's all about synergy.
Well, one of the reasons is that the manufacturer requires an amp that's stable at 4ohms, which many "reasonably priced" integrates won't be:
Screen Shot 2022-09-18 at 11.19.40 AM.jpg

Or, if they claim to be, the THD level goes up massively.

Unless we are talking about something like a Bryston B135 integrated, but that's a more expensive route than going with a dedicated power amp. Certainly an option though, there are some very nice integrated units on the market that DO properly support a 4ohm load, but they tend to be a more expensive route than going with a dedicated.

i have a set of 2Ce's i bought years ago + run them on 2 Adcom amps-biwired GREAT sound!!! there was a small higher end dealer in selinsgrove pa years ago + i heard them in his "listening" room run by 2 tube amps!!!! WOW, cheaper then but if you can afford them a good move + better than todays POS cookie cutter cars + trucks that depreciate quickly!!!

Enjoy your Vandersteen's

In my simple yet nice audio system, speakers were $2200 and all the rest, A VPI Turntable, Carver M500t (300 wpc in 4 ohms power amp, a Emotiva fully analog pre, and a Onkyo C7030 CDP. The speakers were more than the rest combined. Best move I ever made.

“……… Gracious echo degradation is what you want.”

Y_K:

Thanks for your input.
Now please explain the above sentence in layman’s terms.
Like carpet vs hardwood flooring, when you walk into a room with hardwood flooring you get a lot of echoing not so much with carpet because the carpet absorbs sound waves only echo degradation involves the walls and ceiling as well as the floor. You want some waves to travel but some you don't. That's why your family/living room will not support $5k speakers, just a waste of money.

This link is kind of basic but is interesting.

Back